Brewer Fanatic

Anderson starting tomorrow

markedman5

Also any thoughts on why Jeffress is apparently starting the game Friday, and doing a bullpen game? Counsel said a likely bullpen game but didn't reveal the starter, apparently Thames hinted at it possibly being Jeffress. I would have thought we brought up Wilkerson to start a couple games, and this seems like a perfect opportunity to do so. I'm a bit baffled by this.

You participated in that 3 page argument with me on the Nelson thread. Throwing a bullpen game at this point of the season is optimal and whether it works or not, this is the right thing to do.

Wilkerson can be there to be the garbage collector if we are up 5 or down 5 (hopefully not) or if for some reason a bunch of the relievers throw scoreless innings but rack up a ton of pitches/pitching changes early.

We don't need a starter in the traditional sense right now. No need to save the bullpen with expanded rosters and only 3 weeks left...and Wilkerson, while he's been great in AA, is definitely in that class of pitcher that you worry might be a AAAA type guy that gets blown up in the majors. You put him in the game and he loads the bases in the 2nd inning and it's over. Jeffress could also do that, but the numbers back up offenses having a harder time scoring when you can play matchups for the entire game.

I'd have been fine if Wilkerson got the start with the expectation of only 2-3 innings pending game flow or a very quick hook...but if you're doing the smart thing and playing a bullpen game here, you can really start with anybody that you want.

It's not at all the same argument, Wilkerson is not Nelson. It's very likely bullpen could give us better quality than an unknown like Wilkerson. I feel like it was fringe pointless to bring him up if they weren't going to start him. I guess my main thought process is that I thought Wilkerson was brought up to spot start a couple times, it seems weird that he isn't. Unless of course they have zero intention of using Garza/Guerra again this season barring an extreme blowout and want more pitching depth.

Fair enough. We're getting to the point where it's only 3 weeks. If Wilkerson misses out on 8 innings in Biloxi, is that the end of the world for his future development? At this point you might as well have all hands on deck in the majors.

There likely will be a blowout or two where some of those guys will get used.

The other idea is similar to the playoffs strategy. Pitch your bullpen options backwards (best pitchers first). The Brewers will continue pushing more chips on the table by throwing heavy bullpen games where they use their best relievers earlier and even with expanded rosters, they are pitching their better pitchers more out of the pen knowing that they have fallback options.

If you keep needing to do it and it keeps working, then you just live with the fact that you've played optimally for a long period of time and you have to maybe rely on your next option of Wilkerson to throw 4 innings in the middle of a close game if said bullpen strategy has burned the rest of your pen a little bit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the issue. None of the names mentioned to fill the 5th spot will have pitched for almost 2 weeks. Why isn't Jungmann up throwing simulated games? Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

They likely have a very good idea of what they want to do with the rotation for the rest of the year already... they just aren't telling anyone. If it's jungmann or Wilkerson, I'd bet good money they are doing what is necessary to be sharp for whatever start they are given.

On radio pregame last night, they mentioned Wilkerson was in Arizona keeping fit doing side sessions when he got the call to come up to the big leagues. So they had a plan, for those that were worried. ;)

Archived