Brewer Fanatic

Anderson starting tomorrow

markedman5
Yea no way they should do that, win as many as you can now and figure it out later as you go. If you don't, the later Cubs games could be irrelevant. If anything you could move him back from the last Pit game to the first Cubs game. Do a bullpen day in the last Pit game. Win now, worry about that stuff when it comes up.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd go big and bring up Freddie Peralta to start the next time we need a starter. He needs to be added to the 40 man anyways in November, bring him up and cut Garza. I really feel like we are playing with house money at this point, why not create some excitement with getting a glimpse of the future?

I'd go big and bring up Freddie Peralta to start the next time we need a starter. He needs to be added to the 40 man anyways in November, bring him up and cut Garza. I really feel like we are playing with house money at this point, why not create some excitement with getting a glimpse of the future?

Better yet if Garza was DL'd and then you can replace him with someone else on the roster if we make the playoffs (knock on wood).

For someone who I thought was a pretty good manager, Counsell has mismanaged this series beyond belief.

Garza is so awesome. What is this, our 3rd bases loaded walk this series?

Yup. His rotation manipulation was a signal to the team that this series didn't mean anything. It's subtle messages like that destroy a team's momentum.

Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

I'm confused. If they throw a 5th starter on Friday instead of Davies, wouldn't that send a signal to the team that that game/series doesn't mean anything?

No it would give the 5th starter a better chance, and allow Davies to pitch Saturday in Florida and Thursday against the Cubs rather than pitching Friday vs. Marlins and Wednesday vs. Pirates. Then Counsell could go with Davies, Woodruff, Suter & the pen and Anderson in Cub series. At this point every game is critical but games vs. Cubs are do or die.

Yea no way they should do that, win as many as you can now and figure it out later as you go. If you don't, the later Cubs games could be irrelevant. If anything you could move him back from the last Pit game to the first Cubs game. Do a bullpen day in the last Pit game. Win now, worry about that stuff when it comes up.

My rotation starting Friday:

Fri 9/15: Jungmann

Sat 9/16: Davies

Sun 9/17: Woodruff

Mon 9/18: Anderson

Tues 9/19: Suter

Wed 9/20: Jungmann

Thu 9/21: Davies

Fri 9/22: Woodruff

Sat 9/23: Anderson

Sun 9/24: Suter

Tue 9/26: Davies

Wed 9/27: Woodruff

Thu 9/28: Jungmann

Fri 9/29: Anderson

Sat 9/30: Davies

Sun 10/1: Suter

Anderson and Davies each make 4 more starts with both getting one game vs. Cubs and one game vs. Cards.

The Cub games could be irrelevant anyway if they head into them 6 back, but if they are within 4, they'll count double. and 3 out of 4 would be absolute necessity.

Anderson and Davies each make 4 more starts with both getting one game vs. Cubs and one game vs. Cards.

The Cub games could be irrelevant anyway if they head into them 6 back, but if they are within 4, they'll count double. and 3 out of 4 would be absolute necessity.

Davies will start Friday on normal rest due to the day off. Shift everything back one day and it's pretty close. I think Davies pitches on the 24th on short rest against the cubs.

The Brewers already announced no more call-ups from AAA, so Jungmann is not an option.

Do you have a source? I haven't seen anything like that yet.

It wasn't that definitive. They said it that no call ups as of now but left a window open for later if needed.

Overall what was laid out above is fine and I wouldn't argue with you on it. I see the logic and it's certainly a viable option. One thing I'd add a flaw in it is that Jungman/Suter would be going back to back. So your two likely bullpen heavy days will be back to back. But I just think they'll go with what they have instead of throwing someone new into the fire, short day starts here or there as needed mixed with bullpen days. That said, you might need another person like a Jungmann/Wilkerson to play the Suter role of getting 3-4 innings to start during the#5 slot when needed

The Brewers already announced no more call-ups from AAA, so Jungmann is not an option.

Do you have a source? I haven't seen anything like that yet.

I saw that too. I assume that means just that day. I believe after that Counsel or Stearns referenced an AAA starter coming up as a possibility and that it would have to be soon or they might not be sharp. Point being, it isn't ruled out yet.

You could line it up so the Jungmann gets only two starts (9/19, 9/30) and Woodruff (9/16, 21, 26, 10/1) gets four starts versus what you have. You would have Davies, Jungmann, and Woodruff as the pitchers for the St. Louis series. Since it would be the second to last day of the season, you could piggy back Suter to Jungmann. If we made it through to the postseason Anderson and then Davies would be lined up to pitch.

Wilkerson is getting the call, per mccalvy

[sarcasm]Boy, I hope he was at least playing catch the last week or so.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

[sarcasm]Boy, I hope he was at least playing catch the last week or so.[/sarcasm]

Wilkerson last pitched on 9/7, threw 7 no hit innings with 1 BB and 11 k. I would suspect he'll throw a sim game at some point in the next day or 2 and be ready for his call on the 19th.

With the off day tomorrow, everyone can get back to 4 days rest and it looks like Wilkerson will start on Tuesday @ PIT. With the other off day the following Monday we could go the rest of the season not needing Wilkerson if we bump up Davies to pitch on 3 days rest against the Cubs on 9/24. If Wilkerson does well he might start against the Cubs.

You misread another of my posts apparently. I said the guys who didn't pitch in the AAA playoffs had shut it down. That was in response to suggestions for Freddie Peralta and/or Burnes. Wilkerson did pitch in AAA playoffs which just ended Sunday so that didn't apply to him or Jungmann. I also said it would be either Jungmann or Wilkerson, Garza or Guerra.

You misread another of my posts apparently. I said the guys who didn't pitch in the AAA playoffs had shut it down. That was in response to suggestions for Freddie Peralta and/or Burnes. Wilkerson did pitch in AAA playoffs which just ended Sunday so that didn't apply to him or Jungmann. I also said it would be either Jungmann or Wilkerson, Garza or Guerra.

Peralta and Burnes were never going to pitch. Those guys are shut down for sure, similar to Hader after his big year in 2016. This move makes sense, especially considering Wilkerson threw an absolute gem on probably the biggest stage of his career on 9/7. Nice to see a guy rise to the challenge like that.

Bumping up Anderson on three days rest who threw 5 easy innings Saturday is one thing. That was pure luck. How often do the Brewer bats allow that? Bringing back Davies on short rest to face the Cubs could be counter productive.

True, but what happens if Wilkerson gets shelled? You throw him out there against the Cubs in a game that counts double? If we are lucky enough to use Davies lightly on Friday, we should consider pulling him early and starting him on 3 days rest against the Pirates next Tuesday with Wilkerson going on Weds against Pit. That way all of our pitchers against the Cubs, including Davies, can go on regular rest

Bumping up Anderson on three days rest who threw 5 easy innings Saturday is one thing. That was pure luck. How often do the Brewer bats allow that? Bringing back Davies on short rest to face the Cubs could be counter productive.

True, but what happens if Wilkerson gets shelled? You throw him out there against the Cubs in a game that counts double? If we are lucky enough to use Davies lightly on Friday, we should consider pulling him early and starting him on 3 days rest against the Pirates next Tuesday with Wilkerson going on Weds against Pit. That way all of our pitchers against the Cubs, including Davies, can go on regular rest

I think we should almost be planning to use him lightly Friday. If he can go 5 innings in 60-70 pitches, even in a close games at least we would have shortened it for the bullpen. We will have Woodruff following him, so it won't be a suter situation where we'll need 7 pitchers.

I'm not sure why Anderson was allowed to throw so many pitches. I would have thought to lessen his usage on short rest considering we were up 8-1 or whatever. I would have pulled him after the 5th inning without a doubt.

Also any thoughts on why Jeffress is apparently starting the game Friday, and doing a bullpen game? Counsel said a likely bullpen game but didn't reveal the starter, apparently Thames hinted at it possibly being Jeffress. I would have thought we brought up Wilkerson to start a couple games, and this seems like a perfect opportunity to do so. I'm a bit baffled by this.

Also any thoughts on why Jeffress is apparently starting the game Friday, and doing a bullpen game? Counsel said a likely bullpen game but didn't reveal the starter, apparently Thames hinted at it possibly being Jeffress. I would have thought we brought up Wilkerson to start a couple games, and this seems like a perfect opportunity to do so. I'm a bit baffled by this.

You participated in that 3 page argument with me on the Nelson thread. Throwing a bullpen game at this point of the season is optimal and whether it works or not, this is the right thing to do.

Wilkerson can be there to be the garbage collector if we are up 5 or down 5 (hopefully not) or if for some reason a bunch of the relievers throw scoreless innings but rack up a ton of pitches/pitching changes early.

We don't need a starter in the traditional sense right now. No need to save the bullpen with expanded rosters and only 3 weeks left...and Wilkerson, while he's been great in AA, is definitely in that class of pitcher that you worry might be a AAAA type guy that gets blown up in the majors. You put him in the game and he loads the bases in the 2nd inning and it's over. Jeffress could also do that, but the numbers back up offenses having a harder time scoring when you can play matchups for the entire game.

I'd have been fine if Wilkerson got the start with the expectation of only 2-3 innings pending game flow or a very quick hook...but if you're doing the smart thing and playing a bullpen game here, you can really start with anybody that you want.

You participated in that 3 page argument with me on the Nelson thread. Throwing a bullpen game at this point of the season is optimal and whether it works or not, this is the right thing to do.

Wilkerson can be there to be the garbage collector if we are up 5 or down 5 (hopefully not) or if for some reason a bunch of the relievers throw scoreless innings but rack up a ton of pitches/pitching changes early.

We don't need a starter in the traditional sense right now. No need to save the bullpen with expanded rosters and only 3 weeks left...and Wilkerson, while he's been great in AA, is definitely in that class of pitcher that you worry might be a AAAA type guy that gets blown up in the majors. You put him in the game and he loads the bases in the 2nd inning and it's over. Jeffress could also do that, but the numbers back up offenses having a harder time scoring when you can play matchups for the entire game.

I'd have been fine if Wilkerson got the start with the expectation of only 2-3 innings pending game flow or a very quick hook...but if you're doing the smart thing and playing a bullpen game here, you can really start with anybody that you want.

It's not at all the same argument, Wilkerson is not Nelson. It's very likely bullpen could give us better quality than an unknown like Wilkerson. I feel like it was fringe pointless to bring him up if they weren't going to start him. I guess my main thought process is that I thought Wilkerson was brought up to spot start a couple times, it seems weird that he isn't. Unless of course they have zero intention of using Garza/Guerra again this season barring an extreme blowout and want more pitching depth.

Archived