Brewer Fanatic

Anderson starting tomorrow

markedman5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm really surprised they didn't call someone up since they're going to need to fill Nelson's spot eventually.

Yeah, that's the part I'm curious about, it's just postponing it. And in doing so taking the chance on Anderson on short rest, albeit after a relatively low pitch count his last time out.

We are off after this series, so Anderson can make his next start on normal rest. But the next time the #5 spot comes up after that will be during the Cubs series. Is it going to be Davies/Anderson on short rest again? Seems like the worst time to insert a new starter otherwise.

Community Moderator

Low risk, high reward move. Anderson is the perfect guy for the job. He hasn't thrown 100 pitches since June and only had 67 last time out. He's thrown almost 900 pitches less than Jimmy Nelson this year (partially thanks to the injury).

We're starting to get close to must-win territory so worrying about the Cubs series can wait.

[sarcasm]Starters going on 3 days rest typically works out really well.[/sarcasm]

CC...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
[sarcasm]Starters going on 3 days rest typically works out really well.[/sarcasm]

Sarcasm yes, but there's some truth to that. It's just a matter of which less-than-desirable option you want to go with.

For what it's worth, had we called up a minor leaguer, that person would have faced the pirates back to back. That takes away the "hasn't seen him before" aspect of someone like Wilkerson the second time through. It appears we will need a 2nd starter on the 19th, 24th, and 30th of September. We could ask Davies to start on short rest on the 24th and with the off day, only need a 5th starter twice the rest of the way. I highly suspect we go that route, keep an eye on if Davies gets pulled on the 20th with a lower pitch count. It would also allow either Davies or Anderson to pitch a potential wildcard game on normal or extra rest. With 18 games left, our 2 best starters would pitch 8 times in this case. Here's hoping it works out.

Put me down as thinking this is not a smart move... Beginning to really question Counsell as a manager, which is weird because the Brewers have overachieved well beyond what most would have predicted and are in it this late in the season.

I don't get sitting Villar when he finally gets hot (hitting over .380 in the last 28 days) and don't get this move either.

Eric Thames is hitting .182 as a lead off hitter yet there he is night after night...

It really took Counsell a long time to realize that Barnes was a poor choice late in games

Etc etc....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

With the short start tonight and seven pitchers used I wouldn't be surprised to see Jungmann get called up tomorrow.

Today showed why you can't have a long enough bench. Suter doesn't have it, so pinch hit for him early instead of trying to force him to go five; Phillips singles and scores, then use your pen.

This makes perfect sense. Last Saturday I assumed he was starting due to being removed after 67 pitches

Absolutely. Plus, Anderson has a relatively fresh arm, and is the type of guy who seems to get better and sharper the more he pitches. You can't just sit back and play it safe if you want to make up these games over the last 3 weeks.

I like the way he's handling that 4th spot right now...just basically a long reliever and then BP by committee the rest of the way giving our young guys a chance to PH.

It really took Counsell a long time to realize that Barnes was a poor choice late in games

Well, first of all, we didn't really have any options until we added one late inning guy via trade and the other option was a young prospect who we didn't want to work too hard and needed 3 days off between appearances.

And as far as Villar, I really like him and I hope he's part of our future, I hope he's given the first shot at 2nd base next year, but Walker's also playing well(.845 OPS in twice the AB's) not to mention Villar's got a nearly .500 BABIP during that time. I'm sure if he hadn't struggled early, and we hadn't needed to trade for Walker, we'd be running Villar out there now, but he did and we are.

If Villar hadn't struggled sooo badly in CF(not his fault) then he'd probably be playing more. But you can't Kotsay games away here...

I have to be honest, I'm a little surprised people have lost confidence in CC. Doesn't anyone believe that maybe his nature has helped this team believe they could compete when they had absolutely no reason to coming into the year? We're complaining about his moves, but it's not like you want to start Villar over Arcia or Shaw, can't start him in CF and it's pretty close between he and Walker.

To me, he's a huge part of the reason they're here. I think he's gonna be a Tom Kelly/Ron Gardenhire type of guy in that he comes in during a rebuild and ends up sticking around for a long time. Hopefully this move works out.

But mainly I'm good with it because Anderson threw so few pitches and, again, if fresh.

Here's the issue. None of the names mentioned to fill the 5th spot will have pitched for almost 2 weeks. Why isn't Jungmann up throwing simulated games? Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

Here's the issue. None of the names mentioned to fill the 5th spot will have pitched for almost 2 weeks. Why isn't Jungmann up throwing simulated games? Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

They likely have a very good idea of what they want to do with the rotation for the rest of the year already... they just aren't telling anyone. If it's jungmann or Wilkerson, I'd bet good money they are doing what is necessary to be sharp for whatever start they are given.

They likely have a very good idea of what they want to do with the rotation for the rest of the year already... they just aren't telling anyone. If it's jungmann or Wilkerson, I'd bet good money they are doing what is necessary to be sharp for whatever start they are given.

Yep. Just because we are not being told, doesn't mean they aren't taking actions. I'm glad they keep things close to the vest.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

For someone who I thought was a pretty good manager, Counsell has mismanaged this series beyond belief.

Garza is so awesome. What is this, our 3rd bases loaded walk this series?

Yup. His rotation manipulation was a signal to the team that this series didn't mean anything. It's subtle messages like that destroy a team's momentum.

Another issue is if Davies starts Friday, he won't be available for the Cubs series. So they should have 5th starter go Friday.

I'm confused. If they throw a 5th starter on Friday instead of Davies, wouldn't that send a signal to the team that that game/series doesn't mean anything?

Archived