Brewer Fanatic

Wild Card: Forget about it

Dead Simmons

The Cubs really turned it on in the second half. Arrieta was great, Hendricks came off the DL, and Schwarber didn't look as much like a minor leaguer. Plus, they got a great year from John Jay and the versatile role players came through. Not as painful as 2014 for me since Chicago basically earned it (unlike 2014 STL who I feel like we had chances to really bury). As far as the division goes, I'm kicking myself over the what? 4 extra-inning games we lost to the Cubs this year? As well as the two blown leads very early, with the Russell three-run homer on getaway day. I'm hopeful that another year of experience and some BP help puts us in a position to get a few more of those head-to-head matchups and just generally perform more consistently offensively/with leads in the middle-late innings.

Figure the Pirates will take a step back next year, the Reds a small step forward depending on what they do pitching wise, and who knows about the Cardinals and Cubs, though you figure both will have a lot of talent and payroll. Honestly, a deep Cubs run just to add innings to those pitchers wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, as much as some here would hate to see a second WS on the north side.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One game. That's it. Some excruciating losses. Some thrilling moments. Late inning offensive woes did them in. One game here or there. That's how close they were.

It's great they kept us on the edge up until the last day but nothing's guaranteed for 2018. That's why missing out by one game hurts. We'll never know when the next opportunity comes along. Hope it's next year. Should be an interesting offseason for sure. Would sure like to see a lineup that doesn't strike out as often and can create runs in crunch time.

One game. That's it. Some excruciating losses. Some thrilling moments. Late inning offensive woes did them in. One game here or there. That's how close they were.

It's great they kept us on the edge up until the last day but nothing's guaranteed for 2018. That's why missing out by one game hurts. We'll never know when the next opportunity comes along. Hope it's next year. Should be an interesting offseason for sure. Would sure like to see a lineup that doesn't strike out as often and can create runs in crunch time.

my hope is that walker and villar and broxton are gone. That should help to some degree in theory. Although, I guess they could look for an even bigger splash at 2b...not sure who fits the bill of availability and better than Walker though.

Agreed on all points. No future is guaranteed, things look bright but prospects are prospects, you don't know. They came up one game short, for a franchise with so few postseason appearances and so little success, any season that comes this close is a killer. I can definitely use six months off from baseball...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Agreed on all points. No future is guaranteed, things look bright but prospects are prospects, you don't know. They came up one game short, for a franchise with so few postseason appearances and so little success, any season that comes this close is a killer. I can definitely use six months off from baseball...

All of this is true. Tough way to lose things. As noted, excruciating loses. But I'm not going to dwell on things. We didn't quite step up like we needed to down the stretch - just gotta get better.

I had a great time - and am disappointed at the way it ended - but it was a blast.

All that said, next year looks like it will be fun.

Archived