Brewer Fanatic

Wild Card: Forget about it

Dead Simmons

There's no reason in hell not to be thinking Central champ. The Cubs are floundering, plain and simple. My thinking last week was the Cards/Brewers had to win a combined 9 of 14 to have a chance. By sweeping them last weekend you lowered that equation....significantly.

They're in a heap of trouble and they know it. Wouldn't it be something if they didn't make the playoffs AT ALL. Man, would the sportswriters love that!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no reason in hell not to be thinking Central champ. The Cubs are floundering, plain and simple. My thinking last week was the Cards/Brewers had to win a combined 9 of 14 to have a chance. By sweeping them last weekend you lowered that equation....significantly.

They're in a heap of trouble and they know it. Wouldn't it be something if they didn't make the playoffs AT ALL. Man, would the sportswriters love that!

Everyone outside of Illinois would love it. Nobody like the cubs

Community Moderator

Agree that the division is looking like the best path, but as we know a 4-game lead lead against a single team can disappear quickly.

A Nationals/Cardinals rematch would be a fun one. Knowing history, I would be tempted to take the Cardinals in that series.

Can we just for one year be a team that really doesn't belong in the playoffs but we somehow win the correct number of games to do so? It happens for other franchises. Never seems to for us.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We have no idea. None. The Dodgers of all teams in the middle of a horrible losing streak, the Tribe can't lose.

Plenty of games left for almost anything to happen. The Brewer could pass Cubs, Rockies, and Cards or they may be nowhere close by the time this is all done. Over the years a lot of crazy things have happened in the last week of the season, let alone THREE weeks.

Yeah I don't see any way of winning the Wild Card. If they start winning and take care of business against the Cubs and Cardinals they will win the division and if they don't win those games they can't catch the Rockies anyways.
Yep....a week ago it looked like the Rocks were slipping away. Now they are getting dramatic wins vs. tough teams.

Don't settle for just lucking into the playoffs, I want the whole thing.

Yea the team isn't thinking about which spot they're going for. They're simply trying to win as many games as they can and they hope it's enough to win the division, if not they hope it's enough for the WC. It's that simple.

Everyone was excited when they saw the Rockies had to play the Dodgers. I wasn't. The Dodgers have just about nothing to play for and it's showing by losing 11 in a row.

It's a death knell for LA.....they don't recover from this. AZ and CO will fare better in the post

Everyone was excited when they saw the Rockies had to play the Dodgers. I wasn't. The Dodgers have just about nothing to play for and it's showing by losing 11 in a row.

They're not losing because they have nothing to play for. They'd probably be better off telling themselves they have nothing to play for because they seem to be pressing like crazy. They want to win right now, and they need to get it turned around whether clinched or not.

But yeah, it was about a week ago (?) or so that we were just a half game out of the WC and they had L.A. and Arizona coming up. Looked like a good opportunity but now Colorado got hot.

I just have this weird feeling the Cardinals are going to be the team to win the division. They still have the Cubs 7 more times and seem to be getting hot at the right time.

We are 4-8 vs. the Cubs so far. They eat our lunch. Ate it last season too. I have to feel a little less scared now because the Cubs are not hitting. Not for average anyway. Chris Bryant leads the team at .285. The Memphis Redbirds now playing in St. Louis (5 of 'em) are batting a combined .300 with power.

It may be too late in the season for those kids to be figured out. You know, they ALL come up looking like future HOFers, then cool way off and get sent back down. Which brings me to Schwarber: word on the Chicago street is that he will be GONE after the season. ;)

I just have this weird feeling the Cardinals are going to be the team to win the division. They still have the Cubs 7 more times and seem to be getting hot at the right time.

We are 4-8 vs. the Cubs so far. They eat our lunch. Ate it last season too. I have to feel a little less scared now because the Cubs are not hitting. Not for average anyway. Chris Bryant leads the team at .285. The Memphis Redbirds now playing in St. Louis (5 of 'em) are batting a combined .300 with power.

It may be too late in the season for those kids to be figured out. You know, they ALL come up looking like future HOFers, then cool way off and get sent back down.

Well the Cardinals are playing better right now. You will start with the ultimate mismatch of Martinez vs Lackey. And you'll for sure miss Lester. They are listing Saturday and Sunday as TBD in hopes that Arrieta can pitch, you'll likely face 2 of Quintana, Hendricks, Arrieta. Cardinals seem like the type of team that would destroy Hendricks, we'll see. At the moment I'm hoping the Cardinals take 4 or 5 of the remaining 7 from Chicago, that might change by the 25th.

Another division title flag would look nice on that left field wall, if nothing else. We've had a grand total of two in franchise history.

It is embarrassing to root for a team that flies a divisional title flag, honestly

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

It may be too late in the season for those kids to be figured out. You know, they ALL come up looking like future HOFers, then cool way off and get sent back down.

Well the Cardinals are playing better right now. You will start with the ultimate mismatch of Martinez vs Lackey. And you'll for sure miss Lester. They are listing Saturday and Sunday as TBD in hopes that Arrieta can pitch, you'll likely face 2 of Quintana, Hendricks, Arrieta. Cardinals seem like the type of team that would destroy Hendricks, we'll see. At the moment I'm hoping the Cardinals take 4 or 5 of the remaining 7 from Chicago, that might change by the 25th.

Oh yeah, missing Lester is huge. Not only does he out-pitch us, he PICKS US OFF of 1st base!

Another division title flag would look nice on that left field wall, if nothing else. We've had a grand total of two in franchise history.

It is embarrassing to root for a team that flies a divisional title flag, honestly

Well I hope you never look slightly to the left of that divisional title flag and see the wild card flag.

You haven't noticed the Wild Card pennant on the wall? I've always thought that looked a bit weak. Plus just the general still obsession with the 82 team that didn't win it all. Fun bunch of guys it seems and heck of a run, and I know it's all we have so what choice do they have but to play it up, but the nonstop talk of it 35 years later...

You haven't noticed the Wild Card pennant on the wall? I've always thought that looked a bit weak. Plus just the general still obsession with the 82 team that didn't win it all. Fun bunch of guys it seems and heck of a run, and I know it's all we have so what choice do they have but to play it up, but the nonstop talk of it 35 years later...

I don't mind the small flags on the left field wall myself. They help tell the story of the team's history, which unfortunately isn't filled with tons of championships like the Yankees and Cardinals. Division titles and wild card spots are still notable. I see no shame in commemorating them.

That said, I'm personally glad they removed that faded and crappy looking 1982 "flag" that was on the left field roof line for many years. That was looking pretty sad and dated. I also agree in general that the 1982 obsession needs to be done. I was two years old that season. I am not enriched by the memory of that team in the least.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived