Brewer Fanatic

Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 7-9]

CheezWizHed
Capers defense can’t get off the field on third down. Shocker.

What playmakers has Thompson drafted since Matthews? Their personnel stinks regardless of scheme.

Mike Daniels, Nick Perry, and Blake Martinez.

But yes, more are needed. It's harder to make plays when the scheme is tired and predictable.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What playmakers has Thompson drafted since Matthews? Their personnel stinks regardless of scheme.

But yes, more are needed. It's harder to make plays when the scheme is tired and predictable.

Blake Martinez?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Finally this dog of a team has been put out to pasture. Unfortunately they won too many games while AR was hurt though, so it will be status quo on Lombardi Avenue yet again this offseason. Zero urgency within this organization whatsoever as Aaron Rodgers ages by the day.

God I can't wait for another offseason of zero free agent acquisitions and a bunch of draft picks that either will bust or won't help us for 2-3 years. What a fantastic thought.

Yes, I am being a bit naive and unappreciative of 7-8 years straight in the playoffs. But time is running short here and hall of fame QB's don't grow on trees, contrary to what many Packers fans seem to believe. I'm pushing 30 years old and I literally cannot remember the last time I reflected on a game thinking "holy **** our defense destroyed them today." Can anyone else think of a time?

Finally this dog of a team has been put out to pasture. Unfortunately they won too many games while AR was hurt though, so it will be status quo on Lombardi Avenue yet again this offseason. Zero urgency within this organization whatsoever as Aaron Rodgers ages by the day.

God I can't wait for another offseason of zero free agent acquisitions and a bunch of draft picks that either will bust or won't help us for 2-3 years. What a fantastic thought.

Yes, I am being a bit naive and unappreciative of 7-8 years straight in the playoffs. But time is running short here and hall of fame QB's don't grow on trees, contrary to what many Packers fans seem to believe. I'm pushing 30 years old and I literally cannot remember the last time I reflected on a game thinking "holy **** our defense destroyed them today." Can anyone else think of a time?

Capers needs to go, especailly because it's disturbing how many guys have left and had more success with other teams, however, the defense has had it's moments since the 2011 playoffs.

Just last year the defense absolutely destroyed the Seahawks, getting 6 turnovers in a 38-10 win.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201612110gnb.htm

Week 1 this year, they had a similar dominating performance against the Seahawks.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201709100gnb.htm

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Daniels is a disruptive leader. Blake is definitely talented. Clark looks like a really good pick. Even Lowry has his moments flashing talent though he has pretty much average starter ceiling.

Perry is coming off a double digit sack year and when fully healthy has high upside. Matthews isn't the player he once was but still makes plays. Haha is a very talented highly regarded player having a rough year. Burnett is probably the leader of the secondary. Randall is pretty quietly having a pretty nice year.

I'm not saying these are the '85 Bears, but my goodness. There are plenty of DCs doing more with less.

Martinez and Daniels are very good players. Homer said difference makers, which they are not. Neither is Matthews anymore. Dont get me wrong, Capers can go. But TT and MM can go with him.

1) What is the difference between a very good player and a difference maker?

2) How many defenses have multiple difference makers?

I don't care if TT goes. I'm ready for the Wolf era. But there's more talent on the defense than he gets credit for, which becomes more apparent when you see guys like Hayward and Hyde leave and excel in other systems.

There's been many different players cycled through the same system for 7 years with the same results.

Plus Kevin King, Josh Jones, Kenny Clark, HaHa, Morgan Burnett, and the departed Casey Heyward, Micah Hyde. Randall is talented, but has been hurt and has struggled with the conversion from safety to corner.

There's talent on that team. The issue is much more Capers than the talent.

As for the difference between "difference makers" and "very good players", well, it's hard to get elite defenders when 2/3rds of the league drafts ahead of you for seven consecutive seasons.

I would be curious to see how McGinn's scouting sources would rate the Packers defense. There is no way they have as much talent as you guys say they do and be as awful statistically as they are. Even if the scheme is bad if they had enough talent they would at least be middle of the road.

But as I mentioned I'm fine getting rid of Capers and trying something else. I'd prefer someone younger with some new ideas rather than a re-tread unless that re-tread has a history of doing more with less.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What I don't like is that there always seems to be miscommunication. Are the players we draft dumb? Is Capers system too complicated? Are other offenses just knowing exactly what to do against our schemes? All I know is that it happens way too often and a lot of the times it's not our rookies doing it. (Yes, I know it was Jones yesterday)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What I don't like is that there always seems to be miscommunication. Are the players we draft dumb? Is Capers system too complicated? Are other offenses just knowing exactly what to do against our schemes? All I know is that it happens way too often and a lot of the times it's not our rookies doing it. (Yes, I know it was Jones yesterday)

But does GB have more miscommunication than other teams?

But does GB have more miscommunication than other teams?

Not sure. It just seems to happen quite frequently. Seems as though (and this could be extreme) once a game some guy flies wide open for a touchdown and 2-3 players look at each other like they have no idea who was supposed to cover them.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Repeatedly Hundley looks ok early, but then a mistake derails him. Then he looks worse and worse as the game goes.

Wasn’t the only time he played well in the 4th quarter of games?

Repeatedly Hundley looks ok early, but then a mistake derails him. Then he looks worse and worse as the game goes.

Wasn’t the only time he played well in the 4th quarter of games?

True, in a couple games. Others (like the Lion's game, Viking game, etc..) we moved down field, had a turnover and is spiraled downhill (until prevent defense made him look better).

Archived