Brewer Fanatic

Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 7-9]

CheezWizHed
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Packers don't need to tear anything down. Literally just need an average defense and with Rodgers they can compete for the SB every year.

Yet they've had Rodgers starting for 10 years now and have one super bowl trip to show for it....

Don't tear it all down, but get a D-coordinator who will adapt and adjust his defensive scheme to fit the players he has, or get players to fit the scheme he runs, instead of continually trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Capers is a dinosaur, and hasn't figured out that the NFL is a different game than when he started playing zone blitz back in the early 90's.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Packers don't need to tear anything down. Literally just need an average defense and with Rodgers they can compete for the SB every year.

Yet they've had Rodgers starting for 10 years now and have one super bowl trip to show for it....

And that year they had a top ten defense. I'm not against firing Capers but a wholesale rebuild is not in the cards as long as ARodg is back there. Also, I think a lot of the issue is on Thompson. Looks like they finally hit on a few defensive picks the last couple of years but they need some pass rushers desperately.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don’t hear many Steelers people wanting Mike Tomlin to be fired. He has a HOF QB and only one SB.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The good: D. Randall looks like a legit CB finally these last 4-5 games.

I'm not believing it: Hundley made plays, but can't throw the ball past 10 yards unless the guy is standing alone waiting for it. Couldn't do much of anything until Cleveland played prevent D.

The Odd: After beating Tampa 26-20 in OT, they beat the Browns 27-21 in OT (each team scoring one more point than last week).

I'm torn: I can never cheer to lose, but I just don't think we have the CBs left this year to do anything. DR is playing well. But with King on IR and House constantly injured, the rest of the cupboard is pretty bare. Looks like a redux of last year. Oh, well... At least its interesting to see if Rodgers can lift his legend.

I'm not believing it: Hundley made plays, but can't throw the ball past 10 yards unless the guy is standing alone waiting for it. Couldn't do much of anything until Cleveland played prevent D.

The Odd: After beating Tampa 26-20 in OT, they beat the Browns 27-21 in OT (each team scoring one more point than last week).

I'm torn: I can never cheer to lose, but I just don't think we have the CBs left this year to do anything. DR is playing well. But with King on IR and House constantly injured, the rest of the cupboard is pretty bare. Looks like a redux of last year. Oh, well... At least its interesting to see if Rodgers can lift his legend.

I found this to be pretty funny watching the game. The announcer was supporting this "bend but don't break D". All I could think was...OK. We were down by two touchdowns and there was a ton of time left still. We didn't need to rush and could walk down the field.

I don’t hear many Steelers people wanting Mike Tomlin to be fired. He has a HOF QB and only one SB.

They fired their dinosaur when it was time. They also don't blow games or give up record setting performances in the playoffs.

LeBeau resigned but it still doesn't answer the question about why so many want to see the entire organization scrapped and begin anew. McCarthy has had so much success but Packers fans believe there is better out there. It's truly amazing to me how spoiled a fan base can get.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Completely disagree with the Hundley negativity across the board.

Hundley excels at throwing within 10yds - especially over the middle as he was great there the first 4 games but the past couple weeks they've gone away from that - and is very comfortable with a 2-3 step drop and release or shotgun/quick hits. He also excels at the read option and the past few games his escapability in the pocket has greatly improved. He extended drives with his legs (3x yesterday) escaping sacks and the week before he was great running the ball in the read option (need to do this more). He's been inconsistent throwing it down field but has showed pretty decent touch he's typically a tad too deep on them but he's had some nice down field throws. They don't need to throw the ball down field anyway to move the ball and score points. It's blatantly obvious that when McCarthy *consistently* calls a game plan suitable to the skill set of the players on the field they move the ball and put points on the board. But there's been a ton of garbage play calling the past 6wks.

Hundley was a read option QB in college and 5th rd pick and he's scrutinized non-stop as if he's supposed to come out and light the world on fire after holding a clipboard for 2yrs. He has the potential to be a starting QB in this league but clearly needs much more game experience.

And Hundley only moved the ball because CLE was playing in a prevent? Ok! If it was role reversal the comments would be "Rodgers just being Rodgers". Hundley is given zero credit for anything that happens.

Completely disagree with the Hundley negativity across the board.

Hundley excels at throwing within 10yds - especially over the middle as he was great there the first 4 games but the past couple weeks they've gone away from that - and is very comfortable with a 2-3 step drop and release or shotgun/quick hits. He also excels at the read option and the past few games his escapability in the pocket has greatly improved. He extended drives with his legs (3x yesterday) escaping sacks and the week before he was great running the ball in the read option (need to do this more). He's been inconsistent throwing it down field but has showed pretty decent touch he's typically a tad too deep on them but he's had some nice down field throws. They don't need to throw the ball down field anyway to move the ball and score points. It's blatantly obvious that when McCarthy *consistently* calls a game plan suitable to the skill set of the players on the field they move the ball and put points on the board. But there's been a ton of garbage play calling the past 6wks.

Hundley was a read option QB in college and 5th rd pick and he's scrutinized non-stop as if he's supposed to come out and light the world on fire after holding a clipboard for 2yrs. He has the potential to be a starting QB in this league but clearly needs much more game experience.

And Hundley only moved the ball because CLE was playing in a prevent? Ok! If it was role reversal the comments would be "Rodgers just being Rodgers". Hundley is given zero credit for anything that happens.

I would disagree that he has shown the ability to be a starter in the league. I will say however that given a game plan to fit his skill set, he is maybe a top 5, definitely a top 10 backup QB in the league. I would put him in the same lane a Hoyer, McCown, Glennon. Could potentially start if in the right situation but probably best suited for a backup.

For Hundley to have that high of a completion %, and 3 TD to zero INTs, but that low of a yards/dropback, that's on the play calling, not Hundley. The first TD pass to Adams was a thing of beauty; not an easy throw at all, but placed it perfectly.

HNW is exactly right - Hundley is not Rodgers, and he is not Favre. We've had arguably two of the 10 best QBs in the history of the league here the last 25 years; you have to ratchet your expectations down. Starting QB does not mean Rodgers-level; it means an average starting QB.

I found this to be pretty funny watching the game. The announcer was supporting this "bend but don't break D". All I could think was...OK. We were down by two touchdowns and there was a ton of time left still. We didn't need to rush and could walk down the field.

Yea it was amazing watching the Cleveland defensive coordinator let the Packers march up and down the field via short passes because he had his linebackers, corners, and safties play way back in a soft Cover 2 like Rodgers was the QB, not Hundley.

It's as if Greg Williams didn't watch any film of the Ravens play press man and force Hundley make throws downfield into tight windows.

For Hundley to have that high of a completion %, and 3 TD to zero INTs, but that low of a yards/dropback, that's on the play calling, not Hundley. The first TD pass to Adams was a thing of beauty; not an easy throw at all, but placed it perfectly.

HNW is exactly right - Hundley is not Rodgers, and he is not Favre. We've had arguably two of the 10 best QBs in the history of the league here the last 25 years; you have to ratchet your expectations down. Starting QB does not mean Rodgers-level; it means an average starting QB.

No one expects him to be Rodgers nor Favre. And he is far from an average starting QB. He isn't even a good backup QB. Right now, he is looking up at Jay Cutler in the ratings. We just played two bad (one VERY bad) teams and could barely squeaked out wins. Against decent to good teams, he is embarrassingly bad.

My standard for Hundley isn't Rodgers/Favre... its a very long string of backup QBs (Pedersen, Flynn, Tolzien)... career backups. Hundley isn't there either.

There will be a TON of NFC playoff hopefuls rooting hard for the Panthers Sunday to snuff things out before Rodgers gets his footing...Looking around the NFC, there isn't a team out there that would want to see a Rodgers-led Packer team in the playoffs.

All the excitement aside, the Panthers are a tough matchup for the Packers even with a healthy Rodgers - what they do on offense is nightmare scenario for the Green Bay D, and the Panthers front 7 is arguably the best in the league.

There will be a TON of NFC playoff hopefuls rooting hard for the Panthers Sunday to snuff things out before Rodgers gets his footing...Looking around the NFC, there isn't a team out there that would want to see a Rodgers-led Packer team in the playoffs.

All the excitement aside, the Panthers are a tough matchup for the Packers even with a healthy Rodgers - what they do on offense is nightmare scenario for the Green Bay D, and the Panthers front 7 is arguably the best in the league.

Given that most of those NFC playoff hopefuls are in much more dire need of a Panther loss, I would guess the opposite is true.

We just played two bad (one VERY bad) teams and could barely squeaked out wins.

Cleveland's defense was ranked 10th in the league going into the game. (After the game they were ranked 12th.)

The problem was GB defense giving up 21 to a horrible offense.

My standard for Hundley isn't Rodgers/Favre... its a very long string of backup QBs (Pedersen, Flynn, Tolzien)... career backups. Hundley isn't there either.

Doug Pederson's career: 54.8% completion, 12 TDs, 2.3% TD, 19 INTs, 3.6% INT, 62.3 passer rating

Matt Flynn's career: 61.3% completion, 17 TDs, 4.8% TD, 11 INTs, 3.1% INT, 85.9 passer rating

Scott Tolzien's career: 60.3% completion, 2 TDs, 1.4% TD, 9 INTs, 6.2% INT, 61.6 passer rating

Brett Hundley's career: 62.2% completion, 8 TDs, 3.1% TD, 9 INTs, 3.4% INT, 74.5 passer rating

I'd say he's pretty comparable, if not markedly better than at least two of them. And take away one monster game against a Detroit Lions defense that wanted nothing to do with playing outside in GB on January 1st and Hundley is right there with Flynn too.

TJ Rubley!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Doug Pederson's career: 54.8% completion, 12 TDs, 2.3% TD, 19 INTs, 3.6% INT, 62.3 passer rating

Matt Flynn's career: 61.3% completion, 17 TDs, 4.8% TD, 11 INTs, 3.1% INT, 85.9 passer rating

Scott Tolzien's career: 60.3% completion, 2 TDs, 1.4% TD, 9 INTs, 6.2% INT, 61.6 passer rating

Brett Hundley's career: 62.2% completion, 8 TDs, 3.1% TD, 9 INTs, 3.4% INT, 74.5 passer rating

I'd say he's pretty comparable, if not markedly better than at least two of them. And take away one monster game against a Detroit Lions defense that wanted nothing to do with playing outside in GB on January 1st and Hundley is right there with Flynn too.

I wasn't trying to say Hundley was worse than all those guys... but who he was being compared to. And in fact, I purposefully tried to throw out examples that didn't cherry-pick the best ones (Brunnell, Brooks, Hasselback, Detmer). Being neck and neck with Tolzien isn't quite a badge of honor either.

Hundley is better than Brian Brohm, Graham Harrell and Craig Nall. I'll give you those ones.

The NFL needs to do what college does and review "targeting" plays and eject players for it. That hit by Davis was illegal in three ways - helmet to helmet, launching himself, and blindside. It is as egregious of a violation of the rules as I've seen. And Davis does not get ejected?

Capers defense can’t get off the field on third down. Shocker.

What playmakers has Thompson drafted since Matthews? Their personnel stinks regardless of scheme.

Healthy Rodgers makes both of those throws I think. Arm isn't quite back yet.

Capers defense can’t get off the field on third down. Shocker.

What playmakers has Thompson drafted since Matthews? Their personnel stinks regardless of scheme.

Hayward seems to be doing alright in Charger land. Lol I used to defend Capers too but it just is time.

I'm fine getting rid of Capers but he's not the only problem. Also Spriggs doesnt appear to be the answer at RT.

Archived