Brewer Fanatic

Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 7-9]

CheezWizHed

Not to mention for the past lot of years there hasn't really been much competition in the NFC North. Division titles is how you judge a middling/developing team, not one with a HOF QB and several other All-Pros on the roster. Then you judge by playoffs. "What have you done that another coach couldn't have?" is a reasonable question of any coach.

Hundley having an ok game probably hurt MM more than the past four games. Can't just blame it on Hundley.

I'm still fine with Capers, but certainly him and MM are a package deal at this point.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention for the past lot of years there hasn't really been much competition in the NFC North. Division titles is how you judge a middling/developing team, not one with a HOF QB and several other All-Pros on the roster. Then you judge by playoffs. "What have you done that another coach couldn't have?" is a reasonable question of any coach.

Hundley having an ok game probably hurt MM more than the past four games. Can't just blame it on Hundley.

I'm still fine with Capers, but certainly him and MM are a package deal at this point.

Oh, I get it. Rodgers(and Favre) get all the credit for the Packers wins over MM's tenure while he carries the losses. Yeah, makes a ton of sense now that I type it out. You're right, high school coaches could do that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Its been frustrating not getting more SB victories (or even appearances), but MM is still a good coach overall. I'm stunned by that FG attempt however. THat was plain stupid.

Capers really, really needs to go however. Our defense is so predictable that good offenses know exactly how to attack it. He had a couple wrinkles in the last game, but most the time its same ole, same ole. If MM doesn't get rid of him, he needs to go also.

I was kind of ticked that the Packers had 2 timeouts before halftime and got the ball and decided, "eh, we're tied. That's good enough." WHY wouldn't you at least TRY to move the ball and score???? Are they really that scared?????

And, yes, that FG attempt was ludicrous.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was kind of ticked that the Packers had 2 timeouts before halftime and got the ball and decided, "eh, we're tied. That's good enough." WHY wouldn't you at least TRY to move the ball and score???? Are they really that scared?????

And, yes, that FG attempt was ludicrous.

Similar to the end of the game, I thought it was all a result of Brett Hundley and his inability to avoid a sack. The first play of the final possession of each half was very telling. Hundley was given every opportunity to get a drive started and flailed miserably. My only problem with McCarthy is he is too often content to play for overtime despite time and time and time and time and time and time again not being the right decision. vs Arizona in playoff twice, and other times. There was zero reason to kick the extra point when the Packers scored to make it 27-28. You absolutely know that the Steelers are going to advance the ball on Dom's prevent defense.

The Packers went 15-1 during a season Capers coached one of the bottom 5 defenses in the league. The fact that he wasn't fired after that season is laughable.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Packers went 15-1 during a season Capers coached one of the bottom 5 defenses in the league. The fact that he wasn't fired after that season is laughable.

I actually give both DC and TT a pass for that season due to the loss of 3x All Pro Nick Collins. It’s been their inability to adapt since 2011 that frustrates me.

McCarthy clearly has zero confidence in Hundley. Playing for OT when you have pretty good field position, a time out, and 45 seconds speaks volumes.

I just don't understand how you can look so good on the road vs. a really good Pitsburgh team and also look so poor at home in two very winnable games vs. Tampa and Baltimore.

Williams and Jones look like they might be a pretty fun backfield duo.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Williams and Jones look like they might be a pretty fun backfield duo.

Agreed. I’m hoping to see a little bit of a transformation of the offense next year. Let those young bucks help us control the clock and keep Rodgers upright more.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hundley is just so bad. I really want to like him because he seems like a good dude but every time he takes a step forward he takes 2 back. He looks like a poor man's Tim Tebow.

It's too late and too risky now to make a change. Nothing to do except hope Hundley is good enough to win in Cleveland which isn't a sure thing, and then Rodgers should be back.

I really hate to beat the dead horse, and it ended up (Luckily?) working out for him, but when you have 60 yards passing on the day from a HIDEOUS QB performance, how do you kick that FG at the end? You may never get another chance to get that close to the endzone let alone FG range in OT....

Honestly, I agree with the last 2 posters but I also understand. If you're a head coach and you have a tie staring you in the face with a chip shot late and you go for it, and they stop you, and you lose 20-17, you'll be raked over the coals for it. He was kind of damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

I would have however had them review the spot on 3rd, it was very close and there was almost no downside to looking at it. We've wasted timeouts for much less before.

Hundley plays with an attitude like he's been doing this for 7 years while possessing a Rookie QB ability. His emotion is too flat. Bad plays-flat. Great plays-pretty close to flat. A bad play/effort on someone's part-flat.

It's amazing how his cadence has improved so much in loudness, but there is 0 flinches much less jumps offsides.

He did well tucking the ball and running for yards. There's a NFL starting caliber QB in there, but he's raw and learning something each week. But like someone said above, He takes a step forward, and then well imo 1 back. Something good about the week before, he doesn't carry it to the next game when he does something much better that he didn't do that week before. I hope he continues with gradual improvements. I think there will be an opportunity to trade him for higher value than where we drafted him. Something on draft day of maybe a 2nd round with continued progress.

We're gonna lose to the browns. Shelf Rodgers for the year and get as high of a pick as we can a draft some defensive playmakers.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Tie game!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

35-46, 3 TDs, 0 INTs. Pretty darned good performance. Yes, it's the Browns, but defense isn't their problem - they were 10th in the NFL in total defense (17th in pass defense). Great performance against a good defense.

How much snow did they get in Buffalo? Holy crap, looked like they were playing in a foot of snow in OT.

Yes Hundley was 35 - 46, but it was averaging about 7 yards per completion, and about 5 yards per drop back. They needed OT (and a 14 point, 4th quarter comeback) to beat the Browns. The Browns.

I always root for my teams to win, I always do. I don't care if the Packers make the playoffs this year, though I'll obviously cheer my ass off (and inevitably be dissapointed) if they do. But the reality is that if they SOMEHOW defy the odds and squeak in, or even if they don't, and finish 9-7 or 10 - 6, it will be justification to keep this ship on the same tired course it's currently on. I have never wanted a team I root for to clean house so badly as the Packers need to right now.

Brett Hundley wasn't even that impressive vs. Browns. The Packers most just threw it short and let the WRs gain the tough yards. Most of the Packers big plays weren't even that good. The Browns tackle like an 0-12 team...that is the biggest reason the Packers won. Brett Hundley can't throw deep...heck even medium depth throws are pretty meh. No one is giving up a high pick for a QB who can't throw a deep ball. The Packers would never have gotten down the field if not for the big punt return because it takes Hundley forever to march down the field.

Packers don't need to tear anything down. Literally just need an average defense and with Rodgers they can compete for the SB every year.

Every time MM is on the ropes they somehow escape by the skin of their teeth. I'm a Packer fan through and through and will always cheer for them but down 21-7 I realllllllllllly wanted them to lose that game. I want change instead of this same old status quo. So frustrating.

Archived