Brewer Fanatic

Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 7-9]

CheezWizHed

There's been talk about the jags trading for manning, [sarcasm]but maybe we should.[/sarcasm]

I don't really want any part of manning, but man how the season has turned. I really was unimpressed how the game was called after Rodgers went out. It's like they didn't trust hundly to pass the ball, though he didn't do much when he had the chance to change their minds. Maybe it was just the part change work line that scared them, but hopefully Rodgers can come back and hundly can keep them close enough to salvage the season.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There's been talk about the jags trading for manning, [sarcasm]but maybe we should.[/sarcasm]

I don't really want any part of manning, but man how the season has turned. I really was unimpressed how the game was called after Rodgers went out. It's like they didn't trust hundly to pass the ball, though he didn't do much when he had the chance to change their minds. Maybe it was just the part change work line that scared them, but hopefully Rodgers can come back and hundly can keep them close enough to salvage the season.

I think it was a combination of minimal reps during the week of practice and a sieve like offensive line. They kept it very vanilla. I'd imagine the playbook will open up for him next week.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes, pulling the ball back does change that, the same way that running backwards changes forward progress.

Receivers may stretch the ball out, but overwhelmingly they are already down or being tackled when they are doing so, OR they are doing it to cross the goal line (the play is over the instant the ball crosses the plane)

No, it doesn't. He's in the process of being tackled, forward progress is the furthest point the ball reached before going down. He reached the ball out, he didn't move backward, so the furthest point is where it should be spotted.

The only problem with that play is you're ignoring every view point except for the overhead shot that was presumably from the LOS, so at an angle.

Doesn't really matter now though. Rest of the season is about building up Hundley's value and trying to figure out how to actually reload the talent level on this team so that we're not counting on Rodgers and so we don't go from a 12-13 win team to a 4-5 win team without Rodgers in there.

The offensive line now is McCray, Patrick, Linsley, Evans, John. Rodgers would probably have been hurt by the end of the game anyway.

The funny thing is he doesn't get hurt from taking shots in the pocket with inept offensive lines. Even going back to when we have Barclay coming off a ACL playing tackle vs Seattle and Minnesota and Rodgers was getting sacked 7 times, he wasn't allowing them to get good hits. He's usually has such incredible body control and footwork that he either shrugs off linemen or he kinda goes down without exposing himself. If Barr...one of my favorite LB'ers prior to this game doesn't take an extra step in order to drive Rodgers into the turn he's fine.

Looking at the Packers though...they really need to get some things figured out. I think Hundley's a good QB..a really good young QB actually. I just can't pick out another part of this team that's an elite unit. Maybe the DL will become that with Daniels, Clark coming on and Lowry looks like he could be a good player. But we just don't have difference makers. Rodgers injury and what looks like it'll be a lost year hopefully will push Thompson to be more aggressive, ala, McKenzie in Oakland or Schnieder or even Dorsey in KC. WR'er we have an aging #1 WR'er in Nelson, Cobb who's paid like a #1 but clearly isn't(though a very good slot WR'er) and now we'll likely be paying Adams big bucks.

A Super Bowl contender shouldn't look THIS terrible after losing their starting QB.

Give it a couple of games. They have a full week of instal to get ready for a bad Saints defense at home. Then a bye week to prepare again to prepare for the Lions at home and a road game against the Bears. If they can win 2 of 3 to get to 6-3, things will look much better.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The offensive line now is McCray, Patrick, Linsley, Evans, John. Rodgers would probably have been hurt by the end of the game anyway.

The funny thing is he doesn't get hurt from taking shots in the pocket with inept offensive lines. Even going back to when we have Barclay coming off a ACL playing tackle vs Seattle and Minnesota and Rodgers was getting sacked 7 times, he wasn't allowing them to get good hits. He's usually has such incredible body control and footwork that he either shrugs off linemen or he kinda goes down without exposing himself. If Barr...one of my favorite LB'ers prior to this game doesn't take an extra step in order to drive Rodgers into the turn he's fine.

Collarbones are weird. Wrong angle and it doesn't take much to fracture them.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Collarbones are weird. Wrong angle and it doesn't take much to fracture them.

Looks like he injured it the same way in 2013 versus the Bears.

As much as I would love to see #4 jump on up and help this team out no way would Ted Thompson even go down that road. McCarthy thinks/feels that Hundley is the man. And as great of shape that Favre is in the present day, one good hit and he's out for the count again. I mean he is 48 years old.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The best part of Favre coming back (which no way in hell is it going to happen) would be seeing the crap storm of complaints that Kaepernick was once again passed over.

lol, yeah I do agree with this but I also am on the side of the fence that believes Kaep should be on some time, somewhere. Pretty ridiculous (to me) to blackball a guy like they have done.

No one is going to walk in the door and carry this team. Hundley is the guy because he actually knows the team. Romo isn't walking out of the booth to lead us to wins and Kaep surely isn't a difference maker. The majority of our wins in a given season are often due to Rodgers doing ungodly things. No one can even get close to replacing that.

Unless the defense steps up in a big way this season is done. I am counting down the days to college basketball.

We haven't even talked about us possibly being out both tackles for Hundley's first start. I mean, come on, can't the get at least some help. Lol

The best part of Favre coming back (which no way in hell is it going to happen) would be seeing the crap storm of complaints that Kaepernick was once again passed over.

lol, yeah I do agree with this but I also am on the side of the fence that believes Kaep should be on some time, somewhere. Pretty ridiculous (to me) to blackball a guy like they have done.

Kaep can pretty much only succeed in the read option. But no team has an offense that runs that a lot anymore. Carolina is probably the closest but even they rely on a good amount of throwing. I'd agree he's probably talented enough to be a backup somewhere.

We haven't even talked about us possibly being out both tackles for Hundley's first start. I mean, come on, can't the get at least some help. Lol

Yah unfortunately someone like Hundley is going to struggle a lot and having a poor line is only going to make it even worse. Hundley can't pick up blitzes like an experienced QB can. I feel bad for the well being of Hundley.

He had a job in Baltimore until his girlfriend posted pictures of the owner being akin to a slave owner. At this point nobody is at fault but himself.

I'm quite excited to see what Hundley is, as much as i'd like to see Favre out there. I think if he had a good enough OL he could still sling it around the yard with the best of em.

He had a job in Baltimore until his girlfriend posted pictures of the owner being akin to a slave owner. At this point nobody is at fault but himself.

Yep. Clearly what he should do is just shut up and beat women. Then he'd have a spot in the league already.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Yep. Clearly what he should do is just shut up and beat women. Then he'd have a spot in the league already.

Sadly this is more true than a lot of people will admit.

If Brandon Weeden can get a job, then Kaepernick should be able to get a job.

The reason that Kapernick doesn't have a job is the same as why Tebow is not a back up QB. The media circus that follows both players is just too much of a head ache for a backup QB.

Now if both were talented enough to be a starting QB it would be a little bit more tolerable but still a distraction. For a backup QB to cause that much of a distraction is just not worth it.

The reason that Kapernick doesn't have a job is the same as why Tebow is not a back up QB. The media circus that follows both players is just too much of a head ache for a backup QB.

Now if both were talented enough to be a starting QB it would be a little bit more tolerable but still a distraction. For a backup QB to cause that much of a distraction is just not worth it.

Plus you know the fact that neither of them are any good at actually throwing the ball. If this was 5 or 6 years ago before defenses caught up to the read option/running QB fad both would probably have jobs somewhere. But the league has evolved and their skills haven't.

• 3 weeks later...

I defended McCarthy in another thread, but this half is making me question that.

Our game plan today seemed to rely on winning the coin toss, driving down the field on our scripted plays, and scoring first. That, of course, was promptly botched by our third string long snapper. Then, the offensive game plan reverts to the same plan that didn't work vs. New Orleans: mix largely ineffective short passes with a 3-yard run on 2nd down, then punt. Relying, then, on your horrendous defense to hold, which it won't, in the futile hope that you'll get the ball back and repeat the above while the other team basically makes the game out of reach at 14-0.

Honestly, if that's the best gameplan we could come up with with two weeks (and an extra day!) to prepare, this isn't going to be pretty the rest of the way.

I know. It's like McCarthy opened up his bag of tricks and dumped them all out on the first drive and then said there, that should put us up 21-0. I thought he was gonna loosen the reigns and then plays behind the line of scrimmage the rest of the half.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

McCarthy has a white board somewhere in his office that reads:

Offense without Rodgers

1. Get wr/rb moving behind the line of scrimmage

2. Get them the ball

3. ???

4. Touchdowns

Remember what Yoda said:

Archived