Brewer Fanatic

Packer Game Day Thread [Packers 7-9]

CheezWizHed

That one was close, but if you watch the replay Graham tried something very vet-savvy. Rather than put his arms up for the ball, he wrapped his arms around the back of Brice's helmet and actually pulled him into his body, trying to draw the PI flag. I had to watch the replay a couple of times before I noticed what Graham was trying to do. From that perspective, it's a good non-call.

Hmm..I have to agree to disagree with you on this. House was in good position, but Brice had his hands on Graham the whole time and Graham didn't make contact until he was trying to get free and the ball was coming down.

I initially thought it was not catch able, but after rewinding a few times, that was just a really bad call.

https://twitter.com/LosRealAli/status/907008777030737920/video/1

That's the only link I can find.

I think it shows two things. The PI on Brice was pretty obvious and not needed as House and he were in perfect position with him hemmed in along the back of the endzone, but also...Mike Daniels just wrecks offenses.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the deal with the no P.I. call on the Jordy play when he got tackled while the ball was still 5 yards away from him? Was that the correct call because a Seattle player got his hands on the ball, or should that have been P.I. anyway?

That one was close, but if you watch the replay Graham tried something very vet-savvy. Rather than put his arms up for the ball, he wrapped his arms around the back of Brice's helmet and actually pulled him into his body, trying to draw the PI flag. I had to watch the replay a couple of times before I noticed what Graham was trying to do. From that perspective, it's a good non-call.

Hmm..I have to agree to disagree with you on this. House was in good position, but Brice had his hands on Graham the whole time and Graham didn't make contact until he was trying to get free and the ball was coming down.

I initially thought it was not catch able, but after rewinding a few times, that was just a really bad call.

I think it shows two things. The PI on Brice was pretty obvious and not needed as House and he were in perfect position with him hemmed in along the back of the endzone, but also...Mike Daniels just wrecks offenses.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What's the deal with the no P.I. call on the Jordy play when he got tackled while the ball was still 5 yards away from him? Was that the correct call because a Seattle player got his hands on the ball, or should that have been P.I. anyway?

I just watched the replay on NFL.com. The refs messed up on both sides.

yup, another night and it's the same ol' thing.

Hope we perk up in the second half a bit more. (Doesn't help to have Daniels and Jordy out of the game, either.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

yup, another night and it's the same ol' thing.

Hope we perk up in the second half a bit more. (Doesn't help to have Daniels and Jordy out of the game, either.)

I wonder if we could ever hold McCarthy and/or Capers accountable for something? Be it the Falcons game(s), Kapernick setting records, or blowing Arizona playoff games, it really gets old watching this trash year after year. Almost would rather be bad so expectations are low.

Two very questionable calls don't get called and it's 27 - 14. (34 - 10 as I type)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It always amazes me how it's always Capers and McCarthy's fault. It's week two, Rodges has played poorly, we're missing not only our top 2 tackles, but our 3rd tackle(or 4th, but our 2nd string LT) so we're down to our 5th tackle and a guy who played guard in the pre-season..we lose our best defensive player who last week led our defense when they dominated the 2nd best team in the NFC(excluding the Packers).

Then we lose Nelson. So we're down Bulaga, Bahktari, Daniels, Nelson as well as lesser players like Brice(who actually played about 80 pct of the snaps last week), Brooks among others.

And it's the coaches fault that the Refs blow a call that negated a huge play that would have put us in Atlanta territory with 2 TO's and 1:20 to go in the game? It's the coaches fault that Rodgers throws a uncharacteristic but AWFUL pick trying to go over the top of Trufant in Cover2 Man that leads to a TD? It's the coaches fault that Rodgers throws the ball and it's ruled a lateral(which I'm pretty sure they got the call wrong as it wouldn't have been a forward pass if not for Rodgers getting hit, thus should have been a forward pass per the rules) that gives Atlanta another TD?

McCarthy came out with a very good game plan in a nearly impossible situation, they just didn't execute it(losing Nelson hurts) and a couple of big plays completely changed the momentum of the game.

As for Capers, it's amazing how great of a coach he is with talent. We have had the top defense with him twice...when we had Woodson, Collins, Raji, Matthews, etc..etc..etc..

It's just so easy and in my opinion lazy to say, "oh, Capers is awful" when the defense performs poorly. What happened to Gus Bradley, the greatest defensive mind of his era(a bit hyperbole, but he was extremely highly touted) after leaving Seattle for the Jags? A defensive coordinator is only as good as his scheme(ours is obviously solid since the man who helped create it is run by more than half the league), the talent level on the field(ours took a massive hit when Daniels went down) and the level of understanding the players on the field have(which is difficult when you have a guy who got here last week playing, a rookie coming in for a guy who played starter snaps last week in Jones and another rookie who had to come in for a veteran in King for House).

Atlanta was an elite offensive team last year..yet amazingly the coordinator who led that team last year is in SF which currently has a terrible offense.

I remember when McGinn would interview executives from around the league and ask for their opinions on coordinators and they'd say they just can't believe Packers fans are upset with Capers, a HOF coordinator. When Perry, Matthews, Daniels are all on the field, the Packers defense is a very good D. When you start chipping away at those players health and you have big momentum swings in a big game, things are going to look bad.

It was an ugly game, but the Packers came out of the first two weeks vs Seattle and on the road as Atlanta opens it's new Stadium 1-1 and I have every bit the confidence in them I did last week. The secondary looks vastly improved, Dix had a terrible game, but has a large enough body of work. They'll be fine if they can avoid the serious injuries on defense. And their offense is always among the leagues elite.

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned with the loss too much. It is a hard place to win at with a team of full health. Not only that but like others have posted, there were some swing plays that were either horribly officiated or we just did not step up and make the play. Do those sound like excuses? They sure are but sometimes it's just the reality of it.

I do hope we have finally learned the lesson of playing Randall against a good WR. He just can't do it. He is not athletic enough. They drafted King for a reason (tall, length, strong), so let him play and learn how to cover those guys.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It always amazes me how it's always Capers and McCarthy's fault.

Not all their fault, add Ted Thompson too. This really is the same team they've been for years now. A very good team, especially when Rodgers is at his best. But they haven't gotten better.

Injuries, bad calls, yada yada yada. This isn't about one game, I've been saying for years it's time for a change. Thompson, McCarthy, and Capers are all good at their jobs. Let's get that out of the way. But in professional sports, sometimes it's worth changing just for the sake of change.

This team still doesn't know how to blitz. It's obvious every down how many are rushing and where they're coming from. Not disguised whatsoever. Secondary still gets exposed over the middle over and over again. 3-4, nickel, psycho, turbo, whatever gimmick they want to use results are the same. Offense is predictable too. Hurry-up really isn't most of the time. 3 TE, a RB who is a receiver, a WR who can run the ball...so many weapons with so little imagination.

Oh, and Thompson. To this day I really don't think he understands what type of athletes are needed for 3-4. Year in, year out a parade of mediocre LBs and "rush" guys come and go. No depth on O line, and same old same old in the secondary.

That's why I 've wanted a change for along time. Fresh take on things, revamp both sides of the ball, new message for a different messenger.

Yeah, I wouldn't be concerned with the loss too much. It is a hard place to win at with a team of full health. Not only that but like others have posted, there were some swing plays that were either horribly officiated or we just did not step up and make the play. Do those sound like excuses? They sure are but sometimes it's just the reality of it.

That is the reality. It's like "next man up" syndrome. In the NFL, the next man up is a big downgrade in most cases. The only concern I have about the game last night was the lack of any kind of pass rush. They really missed Daniels but Perry was non existent.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It always amazes me how it's always Capers and McCarthy's fault.

Not all their fault, add Ted Thompson too. This really is the same team they've been for years now. A very good team, especially when Rodgers is at his best. But they haven't gotten better.

Injuries, bad calls, yada yada yada. This isn't about one game, I've been saying for years it's time for a change. Thompson, McCarthy, and Capers are all good at their jobs. Let's get that out of the way. But in professional sports, sometimes it's worth changing just for the sake of change.

This team still doesn't know how to blitz. It's obvious every down how many are rushing and where they're coming from. Not disguised whatsoever. Secondary still gets exposed over the middle over and over again. 3-4, nickel, psycho, turbo, whatever gimmick they want to use results are the same. Offense is predictable too. Hurry-up really isn't most of the time. 3 TE, a RB who is a receiver, a WR who can run the ball...so many weapons with so little imagination.

Oh, and Thompson. To this day I really don't think he understands what type of athletes are needed for 3-4. Year in, year out a parade of mediocre LBs and "rush" guys come and go. No depth on O line, and same old same old in the secondary.

That's why I 've wanted a change for along time. Fresh take on things, revamp both sides of the ball, new message for a different messenger.

I don't know about anyone else but if Aaron Rodgers retires with one ring, the size of disappointment the past 25+ years have been will be giant for me. It'll likely be all downhill from his retirement date.

I don't know about anyone else but if Aaron Rodgers retires with one ring, the size of disappointment the past 25+ years have been will be giant for me. It'll likely be all downhill from his retirement date.

Yes, this very well could happen and we could be stuck like 70% of the rest the league and not have a good quarterback. That being said, you just never know who the next guy will be and what he will be surrounded with. I don't particularly think Russel Wilson is that great but he's good enough to win a SB and play in another. There are just too many variables to say that after Rodgers retires, it'll be downhill. People thought that of when Favre was nearing the end too.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes, this very well could happen and we could be stuck like 70% of the rest the league and not have a good quarterback. That being said, you just never know who the next guy will be and what he will be surrounded with. I don't particularly think Russel Wilson is that great but he's good enough to win a SB and play in another. There are just too many variables to say that after Rodgers retires, it'll be downhill. People thought that of when Favre was nearing the end too.

For me, doesn't matter who the next QB is. That doesn't change the fact we had two HOF QBs over 25+ years with only 2 rings to show for it. Yea, I know it's not that easy, but doesn't make it any less dissapointing for me.

I'm just happy that Rodgers came out of this game alive. Down Bahktari, Bulaga, Spriggs, and Barclay (You're 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th tackles). Kyle Murphy and McCray are the starting tackles. A 6th round pick from 2016 who didn't play from scrimmage in 2016. Murphy has no business ever playing left tackle. McCray isn't a tackle at all, I didn't think he had any business playing in an NFL game. If I know this from my couch, what do you think is going through Rodgers mind? He knows that this game is being played on a fast track. Against a fast front 7. In a crazy loud environment on opening night of a new stadium. I think he also knows that any one game isn't worth losing him for the season. I know he's a professional. I know he gets payed to play no matter who else is on the field. I'm just not surprised he played poorly last night.

I'm happy to eat crow on McCray's performance. He played well enough. He had a false start. I'm sure he had help. But he protected the franchise. I also thought Murphy did a good job. Rodgers got sacked 3 times and knocked down 5. That's getting it done.

The defense? I'm not surprised. I've never thought they were going to be great. If the game were a shoot out, maybe they could do enough to hold serve. With the offense imploding, they couldn't win the game as they did in week 1. I bet they look good again in weeks 3 & 4.

My take away: It was only 1 game. It could hurt more come playoff time, but it was only 1 game. They'll be 3-1 after the Natti and Chicago fall to them. Then let's see what happens in the Dallas game.

I think the defense adjusted well in the second half. I was surprised to seek how well King did with Julio. But I guess it helps to have similar size/speed to keep up. Hope that is a sign of things to come.

And I echo doc's comment above. I was just happy to see Rodgers come out alive. I was stunned to see both OTs out of the game. That could've been much worse, but they did well. Though Rodgers rarely held the ball longer than 3-4 seconds. And that really limited the offense. Plus losing Jordy. Take Julio out of the game on the other side, and we probably win the game.

If you think about it, it could be argued the Packers had their four best players after Rodgers out of the majority of that game.

Watching Clay these last two seasons, I only see brief moments of him as a star. In the Falcons game he did get to the Qb a few times, but he routinely gets blocked by one man, overpursues on the edge, and runs himself out of plays. He either needs to play inside where he can run sideline to sideline with his speed, or be traded/released. For most of a game he’s a liability with how he’s used. We saw how the move inside a few years back rejuvenated his career...maybe it needs to happen again, as he rarely beats linemen these days.

Going to the game on Sunday, first one in a few years.

Anyone have any tips/ideas/suggestions for Lambeau & Surrounding areas?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Going to the game on Sunday, first one in a few years.

Anyone have any tips/ideas/suggestions for Lambeau & Surrounding areas?

They opened that new public area just west of the stadium. I doubt the sledding hill will be operational since it's gonna be like 87 degrees but might be worth checking out.

Archived