Brewer Fanatic

Nelson out for the year, will miss time in 2018 (post #150)

homer

Why can't the Brewers ever have nice things?

I think this locks Anderson into the #1 spot, with Davies at #2, Woodruff at #3 at probably Suter at #4. My bet is Stearns will make a trade for a decent to good starter during the offseason, with several of the aforementioned guys being bumped down. If not, we'll see guys like Wilkerson, Jungman, or maybe even Burnes or Freddy Peralta get shots next year.

If there is a silver lining, if Nelson's rehab goes well, he's going to be one heck of a mid-season addition to the rotation.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is awful, I seriously hope this isn't a career ender for him. Hopefully they actually give Hader a shot on the rotation and he can take advantage, I don't think Suter should be anything more than a long man.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

If there is a silver lining, if Nelson's rehab goes well, he's going to be one heck of a mid-season addition to the rotation.

I doubt he comes back good as new right away. The best we can hope for is he gets to play enough in 2018 to work out the kinks for 2019.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I doubt he comes back good as new right away. The best we can hope for is he gets to play enough in 2018 to work out the kinks for 2019.

I think we can hope for better than that. If he gets his velocity back he could be ok by the end of the season.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

All because there's no DH and he's not athletic and too clumsy to run the bases.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think we can hope for better than that. If he gets his velocity back he could be ok by the end of the season.

It's hard for me to imagine best case scenario with pitchers. I think they need to anticipate and prepare for a rotation without Jimmy Nelson for all of 2018. Obviously if it works out better, great.

That's too bad. Big decision for Stearns to either go get another starter or maybe Jungman, Wilkinson, etc. to be in the rotation until he gets back.

No Garza though. I really think his days as a viable starter are done.

Like I've said before, when I hear of arm injuries, this is the order I rank them:

Catastrophic <----------------------------> sad but recoverable

rotator cuff, labrum, Torn UCL, UCL sprain, bone spurs

unknown-- Flexor Tendon. It's supposed to be ok, but Sheets sure got derailed by it. I'm hoping we see Jimmy in the majors by August 1st, but I don't expect him to contribute until 2019 (or sadly...ever again)

Really feel bad for Jimmy. With all the talk about the Brewer's payroll and how they will add to it, I was sort of figuring Stearns first move was probably going to be giving Nelson a four year contract that would have covered the arbitration years and first year of free agency. Injury couldn't have happened as a worse time for him. Best wishes to him and hopefully the rehab goes well.

Why can't the Brewers ever have nice things?

I think this locks Anderson into the #1 spot, with Davies at #2, Woodruff at #3 at probably Suter at #4. My bet is Stearns will make a trade for a decent to good starter during the offseason, with several of the aforementioned guys being bumped down. If not, we'll see guys like Wilkerson, Jungman, or maybe even Burnes or Freddy Peralta get shots next year.

The scary thing with the shoulder injury like this is how it seems to almost inevitably lead to other injuries as pitchers try to compensate.

It's just sickening though. It feels similar to Sheets. You had the buildup, a few good years where he's struggle for stretches, then that one year where he was dominant, then an injury and hopefully there is a different ending for Jimmy. Hopefully he can come back and the same type of pitcher he was this year in 2019 and MAYBE even the same type of pitcher he was this year by August or Sept next year(if we're somehow in the race without him). I would expect the Brewers would be really cautious with him when he does come back.

Just would been so much more reassuring if this would have been a UCL tear...we'd at least know he'd be back and be back just as strong.

That's why mega dollar long term deals to pitchers don't make sense. Jon Lester is the highest paid Cub starter and no better than the 6th best they have. It'll be opportunity time for guys like Burnes, Ortiz, Peralta, Derby etc. Hopefully what we've seen from Woodruff continues into next year. Hader to the rotation if they can come up with some new bullpen arms. Guerra probably deserves another chance too.

I'm of the belief that the major damage to Nelson's shoulder didn't occur with his slide. The slide hyper-extended the shoulder and caused the rotator cuff strain (which would have ended his season anyway), but he might well have already been pitching with a partial labrum tear. So in that sense it might have actually saved his career. If the partial tear went undetected until it became a full tear, then he might have been done. The prognosis that he'll miss a chunk of 2018 is vague and not necessarily dire. All it means that he won't be ready to go full bore in Arizona in March. That's not surprising. He's going to likely need 3 months minimum from the time he starts light throwing to build up not just the shoulder but his full arm and they now know he'll need 3-4 months rest and healing from the surgery before he can even start that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That's why mega dollar long term deals to pitchers don't make sense. Jon Lester is the highest paid Cub starter and no better than the 6th best they have. It'll be opportunity time for guys like Burnes, Ortiz, Peralta, Derby etc. Hopefully what we've seen from Woodruff continues into next year. Hader to the rotation if they can come up with some new bullpen arms. Guerra probably deserves another chance too.

YES

So that's why we can't complain when the Brewers trade away a pitcher that's just about to get a big pay day. Better a year or two too early than a year or two too late.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

YES

So that's why we can't complain when the Brewers trade away a pitcher that's just about to get a big pay day. Better a year or two too early than a year or two too late.

It's also why you need to think twice and three times before trading away any pitching prospects. You need a constant stream of pitching, and you never know which ones will pan out. So you need quality AND quantity.

Also, agree Guerra can get another chance. (Don't agree he DESERVES another chance, but that's semantics.) He has options left correct? If so, he's a perfect guy to stash in AAA and call-up when needed.

YES

It's also why you need to think twice and three times before trading away any pitching prospects. You need a constant stream of pitching, and you never know which ones will pan out. So you need quality AND quantity.

Also, agree Guerra can get another chance. (Don't agree he DESERVES another chance, but that's semantics.) He has options left correct? If so, he's a perfect guy to stash in AAA and call-up when needed.

If he has options left, fine. He needs to earn another chance with a good AAA showing. Keep in mind he will be 33 next year, even if he does figure it out again...how many good years can you really expect out of a guy who turns 33 next year?

If he has options left, fine. He needs to earn another chance with a good AAA showing. Keep in mind he will be 33 next year, even if he does figure it out again...how many good years can you really expect out of a guy who turns 33 next year?

He's only been pitching since 2007 (he was drafted as a Catcher, orginally), so the mileage and ceiling could be quite different from your typical 32 year old.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived