Brewer Fanatic

Nelson out for the year, will miss time in 2018 (post #150)

homer
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone calling for DH in national league should look at disabled list of pitchers in AL.

This is the equivalent of saying "It would be fine if one league permitted players to run over the catcher and the other didn't, because catchers can still be injured either way."

How many of those AL pitcher injuries were related to hitting or baserunning? Don't know how many there's been in the NL but I can think of 2 just on this team.

3...guerra, Anderson, nelson

Brewers need to step up and get Alex Cobb in the offseason as well as trade for whatever pitching that they can. Can't count on Nelson ever being the same again

This injury is not only a disaster for 2017, but 2018 as well

And I'm tired of people saying the Brewers don't have enough money to be players in free agency. That is ridiculous. Their payroll is around $50-$60 million right now. Spend the money! Like I give a what for whether Mark A is worth $300 million or $280 million!!! He says he wants to win. Time to step up little man!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

One reason pitchers might be more prone to injury might be because they never have had to bat or run the bases until they get to AA. So for most of their playing days since they were kids they never had to hit or run the bases and it shows.

One reason pitchers might be more prone to injury might be because they never have had to bat or run the bases until they get to AA. So for most of their playing days since they were kids they never had to hit or run the bases and it shows.

Pitchers used to be some of the best athletes on the field growing up. A lot of times they'd be your best OF or your SS or possibly your C when they weren't pitching.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I know it's easy to say they can't replace Nelson, and they probably can't, but being in a pennant race, they owe it to themselves to try, especially with so many options.

Something beyond the norm is necessary now. Jungmann, Wilkerson, Peralta, Burnes, Derby, Hader ... I don't know what the answer is, but trotting out some combo of Garza, Suter and Guerra for 40% of the rest of our games isn't going to get us to the playoffs.

I know it's easy to say they can't replace Nelson, and they probably can't, but being in a pennant race, they owe it to themselves to try, especially with so many options.

Something beyond the norm is necessary now. Jungmann, Wilkerson, Peralta, Burnes, Derby, Hader ... I don't know what the answer is, but trotting out some combo of Garza, Suter and Guerra for 40% of the rest of our games isn't going to get us to the playoffs.

Agreed. No more Garza, no more Guerra. Not interested in Jungmann much either. Wilkerson should get the nod for sure. #5? No idea Peralta and Burnes are at with pitch limits, would love to see either. Otherwise maybe Suter/ Hader combo to get you through 6 innings.

Also, for those of you saying it's over.....nonsense. wasn't over when Anderson went down, or when Guerra turned out to be bad all year. Wasn't over when bullpen was imploding seemingly every night. And it wasn't over for the past couple months when they have struggled to score more than 2 runs a game.

Baseball, in fact sports in general are unpredictable. For all we know, offense heats up the rest of the year, Wilkerson steps right in and pitches great, who knows. What I do know is a win tomorrow puts them 2 games out of 1st.

I asked Will Carroll about this, and he said that Anibal Sanchez is the best case labrum-tear surgery return example.

No idea of the extent of Jimmy's injury though, as foamboy stated earlier, still a lot in play. It would truly break my heart - I've been a huge fan of Jimmy since the beginning and know what a great guy he is. He deserves better than this.

All of that said, the DH is hot garbage. The two leagues should be the same - DH in neither. About this and defensive indifference also being hot garbage, you will never sway me.

I was busy hunting and just learned the awful news. I'm no expert but I had rotator surgery over 11 months ago and I'm still not 100% but getting closer. Granted, it's a different animal with the labral tear, and we don't yet know the extent, or if he'll need surgery, but at the end of the day, a shoulder operation is long row to hoe. There's a lot of things in and around the shoulder area that get very angry and very weak for a very long time. I seriously hope he doesn't need surgery, otherwise I wouldn't expect much if anything for 2018.

As for the NL DH talk...we've been bitten by pitchers hitting this year, but I remain steadfast in not wanting a DH. I thoroughly enjoy Brewers baseball so much more than when we were in the AL.

Best wishes for Jimmy.

I asked Will Carroll about this, and he said that Anibal Sanchez is the best case labrum-tear surgery return example.

No idea of the extent of Jimmy's injury though, as foamboy stated earlier, still a lot in play. It would truly break my heart - I've been a huge fan of Jimmy since the beginning and know what a great guy he is. He deserves better than this.

All of that said, the DH is hot garbage. The two leagues should be the same - DH in neither. About this and defensive indifference also being hot garbage, you will never sway me.

I'd prefer the DH, but I'd be more ok with pitchers batting in both leagues than just the NL.

The defensive indifference thing seems like a weird thing to care about, however ;)

The defensive indifference thing seems like a weird thing to care about, however ;)

How many stolen bases have been taken away in the past 20-30 years? You fall over while attempting a "defensive indifference", you're going to get tagged out. A stolen base is a stolen base. I am passionate about this. :)

How many stolen bases have been taken away in the past 20-30 years? You fall over while attempting a "defensive indifference", you're going to get tagged out. A stolen base is a stolen base. I am passionate about this. :)

Hey everyone has their pet peeves . Mine is when a pop fly drops between two confused fielders because no one called for it and the batter gets a 'double' for it, plays like that. Or no error because 'can't assume a double play.' It the relay throw is 5 feet wide of 1st or else the runner would have been out by 3 steps, why the heck can't I assume a double play?

To your defensive indifference argument. I'm not terribly passionate about it one way or another, but I guess my counter-argument would be that a stolen base is intended to a measurement of a baserunning skill. It requires no skill to jog on over to the next base when you're not being held on. It would definitely bloat and obscure the stolen base statistic.

On your pitchers batting argument, I don't totally disagree. Baseball with the DH is a different brand of baseball. It takes a lot of strategy out of the game, like the double switch. So it would be a big change. I'd still prefer it personally anyway, but some kind of uniformity between the leagues is what I'm really looking for here. And there's obviously a lot better chance of the DH coming to the NL than pitchers batting in the AL.

Hey everyone has their pet peeves . Mine is when a pop fly drops between two confused fielders because no one called for it and the batter gets a 'double' for it, plays like that. Or no error because 'can't assume a double play.' It the relay throw is 5 feet wide of 1st or else the runner would have been out by 3 steps, why the heck can't I assume a double play?

To your defensive indifference argument. I'm not terribly passionate about it one way or another, but I guess my counter-argument would be that a stolen base is intended to a measurement of a baserunning skill. It requires no skill to jog on over to the next base when you're not being held on. It would definitely bloat and obscure the stolen base statistic.

On your pitchers batting argument, I don't totally disagree. Baseball with the DH is a different brand of baseball. It takes a lot of strategy out of the game, like the double switch. So it would be a big change. I'd still prefer it personally anyway, but some kind of uniformity between the leagues is what I'm really looking for here. And there's obviously a lot better chance of the DH coming to the NL than pitchers batting in the AL.

The "strategy" of the double switch is overrated. Would rather have the DH.

About as devastating news as you can get about one of the best players on your favorite baseball team. This certainly makes the rest of this season difficult in this pennant race. I just hope Jimmy can come back and be the guy he was this season, which was one of the best pitchers in the NL. Man, I was so bummed when I read the news on Twitter, I had launched the app on my phone and the Brewers official account had posted it like only seconds before.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The news in Nelson is sad but might not be devastating. He would not need surgery for a rotator cuff strain. He has a partially torn anterior labrum not a SLAP tear, which is a superior labrum. Partially torn labrum is a little confusing. Depending on what it means and his physical exam he could rehab with a PRP injection for example. He could have a scope with a debridement which is very different then a repair. I dont know the stats on recovery for pitchers who have had labral debridements.

When superior labral, SLAP, surgery and capsular shifts are done prognosis is very poor. Urias is having this which is not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confident with Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, and Suter.

It's just Garza/Guerra for that fifth spot that worries me. Maybe help comes after Colorado Springs finished their playoffs.

This is not a knee jerk reaction but something I've warmed up to for a few years now. The NL should switch to the DH. Sure, it's not "pure" I suppose. But, pitchers are a different type of athlete. They aren't really set up to hit or run the bases. If we accept that, we can accept them not hitting at all. There is a loss of a bit of strategy. That's unfortunate but outweighed by other factors, including the makeup of pitchers as athletes and the quality of play.

So you want the Cubs to have Schwarber at DH for the next decade? No thanks.

Come on, doc. You don't make a big picture decision based on minutae like Schwarber playing. We can get a hitter only guy too. Heck, maybe Keston Hiura is that guy.

But, that's not the issue. It's a number of factors that we've discussed. The quality of play is minimized with pitchers hitting. They get hurt frequently. The strategic component you lose is not significant. They are different types of athletes who aren't set up to hit and run bases, by and large.

I'm not sure pitchers are more prone to injuries running bases or swinging the bat than any other player. Geoff Jenkins dislocated his ankle sliding into a base, John Jaha once blew his hammy running bases, Mat Gamel blew out his knee making a fairly routine catch, Ryan Braun hurt his intercostal muscle on several occasions swinging a bat or throwing the ball from the outfield. It happens all the time to a lot of players regardless of position. It just seems like more because the value of pitchers is in run prevention not run production. To me that is the heart of the issue.

They are not in the majors to produce runs. They are there to prevent them. At some point we dilute the game by exposing them to unnecessary, relatively minor actions. The added strategy of having the pitcher hit just doesn't make up for having to watch more poor pitchers who don't belong in the majors play. Even if they don't have a greater risk of injury running bases or hitting than any other player it is more of a risk than necessary considering their job is to prevent runs, not produce them.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think Mike Adams (former Brewers closer) had labrum surgery and came back dominant. But the shoulder is a tough healer

Archived