Brewer Fanatic

Nelson out for the year, will miss time in 2018 (post #150)

homer
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is obviously a big blow to a team whose playoff chances were already pretty slim. Here's to hoping the injury won't affect Jimmy long-term though, and that he can continue the progress he made this season next year.

As far as his spot in the rotation for the rest of this season, I hope it's anybody but Garza. I know he pitched pretty decently for most of the year, but his last few trips out have been awful. At this point I'd have to think that almost anyone else would give us a better chance to win.

How about this:

Release Garza, Nelson to 60 day DL, add Peralta and Wilkerson to the 40 and rotation.

Why not? Find out about two pitching prospects while also giving yourself a better shot this year. Both guys have to be added to the 40 after this year anyway, so there's really no downside.

If they manage to help us get to the playoffs then whichever one performs better could be added to the playoff roster as Nelson's replacement.

This is not a knee jerk reaction but something I've warmed up to for a few years now. The NL should switch to the DH. Sure, it's not "pure" I suppose. But, pitchers are a different type of athlete. They aren't really set up to hit or run the bases. If we accept that, we can accept them not hitting at all. There is a loss of a bit of strategy. That's unfortunate but outweighed by other factors, including the makeup of pitchers as athletes and the quality of play.

How about this:

Release Garza, Nelson to 60 day DL, add Peralta and Wilkerson to the 40 and rotation.

Why not? Find out about two pitching prospects while also giving yourself a better shot this year. Both guys have to be added to the 40 after this year anyway, so there's really no downside.

If they manage to help us get to the playoffs then whichever one performs better could be added to the playoff roster as Nelson's replacement.

I'd give Jungmann a look. Last time I looked, I think he has under a 3.00 era at CS, which is saying something.

Absolutely crazy.

We must have the DH. Times have changed and pitchers aren't what they used to be. I saw on Twitter that Drysdale and Koufax combined for 47 complete games in one season.

Next man up. This season has already been miraculous, why not one more of a guy pulled up from the minors going 4-0 down the stretch?

This is not a knee jerk reaction but something I've warmed up to for a few years now. The NL should switch to the DH. Sure, it's not "pure" I suppose. But, pitchers are a different type of athlete. They aren't really set up to hit or run the bases. If we accept that, we can accept them not hitting at all. There is a loss of a bit of strategy. That's unfortunate but outweighed by other factors, including the makeup of pitchers as athletes and the quality of play.

That's the reality. Pitchers these days aren't athletic enough to do anything but pitch. The players union would love the DH as it adds a high dollar player and saves wear and tear on the pitchers.

How about this:

I'd give Jungmann a look. Last time I looked, I think he has under a 3.00 era at CS, which is saying something.

We've just kind of been there done that with Jungmann, which is why I'd prefer to just take a shot with Wilkerson. Who knows, maybe he has that beginner's success you sometime see when the league hasn't seen the guy.

But I'd rather try Jungmann than Garza for sure.

I really don't even care about this season anymore, I'm far more worried that Nelson will never be the same. Torn labrums are the worst thing that can happen to a pitcher.

It's scary. Nelson is one of my favorite home grown Brewer hurlers, ever. I defended him even when he wasn't so hot. Anyway, now he's got good movement going with nice control now. He's also very competitive, and he works very hard by all accounts. I'm a fan. Let's hope he returns as good as new.

I want to say Drew Brees had a torn labrum around 2005 and look how great he's been, so let's hope for the best. They are saying partial tear. Fingers crossed. Big fan, as I've said.

How about this:

We've just kind of been there done that with Jungmann, which is why I'd prefer to just take a shot with Wilkerson. Who knows, maybe he has that beginner's success you sometime see when the league hasn't seen the guy.

But I'd rather try Jungmann than Garza for sure.

We can be unified on no Garza, that's something that would have overwhelming support.

So you want the Cubs to have Schwarber at DH for the next decade? No thanks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So you want the Cubs to have Schwarber at DH for the next decade? No thanks.

If he reproduces the season he's had I would not complain about that.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Anyone calling for DH in national league should look at disabled list of pitchers in AL.

So because pitchers still get hurt in the AL, we shouldn't care if our pitchers continue to get hurt swinging bats or running bases? It's silly that leagues have different rules to begin with and it's silly not having an actual major league caliber hitter 1-9. It Madbumn wants to complain, then don't use the DH when he's pitching or grab a mit and learn a position.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Bring the DH to the National League!!!

I used to be anti-DH, but not anymore.

Pitchers are pitchers, not hitters and baserunners.

I'm leaning more that way as well. I like strategy aspect of the NL but at some point strategic moves seem pointless if seasons are determined by which pitcher is left standing.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Its unfortunate that he will be out but I will point out 2 silver linings of it happening now:

1) better now than after it completely goes (tears/ snaps) due to a pitch/ delivery

2) better now (late in season, leading into off season) than during spring training or early in a season when much more than 20 or so games is missed

Anyone calling for DH in national league should look at disabled list of pitchers in AL.

This is the equivalent of saying "It would be fine if one league permitted players to run over the catcher and the other didn't, because catchers can still be injured either way."

How many of those AL pitcher injuries were related to hitting or baserunning? Don't know how many there's been in the NL but I can think of 2 just on this team.

Its unfortunate that he will be out but I will point out 2 silver linings of it happening now:

1) better now than after it completely goes (tears/ snaps) due to a pitch/ delivery

2) better now (late in season, leading into off season) than during spring training or early in a season when much more than 20 or so games is missed

I think this is going to be at least a year recovery either way. I guess I'm assuming he needs surgery since it doesn't sound like it will heal on its own.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/483991-torn-labrum-in-baseball/

A torn labrum most often requires arthroscopic surgery to repair the fibers that have been torn. Although surgery is usually recommended for a partial tear of the labrum, it is not required. A partial tear will likely be painful, but the condition will probably not worsen unless added stress is placed on the shoulder area. After surgery, the labrum usually takes up to 60 days to repair and up to 360 days for the full maturation process to be complete. A few weeks after the surgery, it is recommended that some light stress be placed on the joint to build up scar tissue that will help with the healing process.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Could stretch Hader out.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm guessing they received word that surgery is required due to the fact that in the article where they announced he's out for the year that they are going to get several second opinions since they have time. Why search for a second opinion unless the news is worst-case.

My wife is an MD who specializes in sports medicine and she said this is not a definitive surgery - depends on how back the tear looks on an MRI, which of course we are not privy to.

Here's to hoping he doesn't miss 2018 now as well.

Feel bad for Jimmy given the year he's had. I'm more concerned about the impact on his progress in 2018 and beyond than the 4-10 additional starts he'd get this year depending on postseason stuff, so let's hope for a successful rehab.

As for the rotation moving forward, you have to think it's Davies, Anderson, and Woodruff getting regular looks with some combo of Suter/Garza/Guerra/Call-up going on days 4 and 5. My guess is Brewers will eliminate 5th starter as off days allow down the stretch. We'll see.

Same here. A part of me almost wishes he needed Tommy John instead of ANYTHING in the shoulder. Shoulders are just so much more unpredictable. TJ, you have it, almost get it out of the way given how often pitchers have it now and you probably don't have to worry about it again. The shoulder, even the best orthopedic surgeons don't know how exactly it'll heal. I know when I tore mine even when I was able to get back to working out and lifting, I still couldn't throw a ball comfortably after a full year of rehab. Obviously Nelson will have state of the art conditions and experts to help him, but it just scared me as soon as it happened(I wish he wouldn't have thrown with it at all, but Nelson's not a guy who wants to come out).

As for the whole pitchers are babied nonsense....this is just never gonna stop. Every generation says the next one is softer, they were tougher, better, stronger...these kids today are lazy. I was 25 years old and went back to my school to watch my HS football team play and a guy in my class who I played with was talking about how "these kids" don't have the work ethic we had, etc..etc..

Baseball's different. Guys put more stress on their arm as has been explained. It's a billion dollar industry and it's run now by the most analytical minds. You don't have GM's who actually put how attractive a potential draft picks Girlfriend is, they use reason and logic. They didn't just arbitrarily decide to introduce pitch limits and the idea of progressively building a pitchers arm strength up.

The question I like to ask the people who always complain about this generation(and that's really what they're doing by saying the way they're doing things now, just in a different way) is why did you guys screw things up so bad then? If the previous generation had it all figured out and did it the right way and was tougher and worked harder and the people in charge were smarter, why did you guys allow all that to change when you were the ones presumably running the education and developments of the generation that is suddenly so much softer? I'm 34 now and I coach and work with a lot of kids. They're probably harder working and more focused than they were in the past.

Alright...tangent over. Just scared of shoulder injuries and the whole "kids today" in whatever manner it's framed is a pet peeve.

Archived