Brewer Fanatic

Nelson out for the year, will miss time in 2018 (post #150)

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Right rotator cuff strain and partial anterior labrum tear.

Poo

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol I hate to laugh because you never should when a guy gets hurt but my god Jimmy. This is as typical as it gets for Brewers fans.

Just put s DH in already since pitchers are the most unathletic people in all of sports.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

NL NEEDS THE DH.

we lost Anderson due to swinging the bat, too.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

What's Corbin Burnes up to?

I think he has reached innings limit

Innings limit. Pitch counts. All things that got us into this mess of panzy pitchers in the 21st century.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What's Corbin Burnes up to?

I think he has reached innings limit

Innings limit. Pitch counts. All things that got us into this mess of panzy pitchers in the 21st century.

Yeah, pitchers never got hurt before the year 2000, back when men were men and pitchers threw 150 pitch games and never had it effect their careers.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Yeah, pitchers never got hurt before the year 2000, back when men were men and pitchers threw 150 pitch games and never had it effect their careers.

There is no question that pitchers are hurt more frequently these days. I'm a believer that it's because of how it has changed. Hate on it all you want but things have changed for the worst in that department.

I doubt pitchers are hurt more often now. I do think they are handled more carefully since they are so incredibly valuable.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I doubt pitchers are hurt more often now. I do think they are handled more carefully since they are so incredibly valuable.

They do get hurt more, but that's because guys are throwing harder than ever before.

http://www.fangraphs.com/tht/velocitys-relationship-with-pitcher-arm-injuries/

Conclusion

High velocity pitchers are more likely to go on the disabled list for an arm-related injury than those pitchers whose fastballs don’t register as much heat.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm not sure if there are more injuries - but that aside, I think the causes of injuries is probably different compared to the injuries suffered by pitchers several decades ago.

In 1970, you did not have so many guys throwing 95 mph on a consistent basis like you do today. In baseball today, I believe there is more strain and abuse and stress put on the arm because of how powerful many of these guys are - and how often they use that power. You have high school kids throwing 100 mph, and pitchers are being taught how squeeze out every ounce of velocity that they can.

A guy in 1970 might throw 140 pitches, but the stress on his arm might have been much less than a guy who throws 100 pitches in today's game.

Perhaps the stress put on today's pitchers arms leads to more injuries than previously - but I'm guessing the injuries and the causes of the injuries is often (not always) different.

Also, as noted, these guys are massive investments for clubs. When they have 10s (or 100s) of millions of dollars invested in a single guy, the club is going to be cautious.

I think the whole 'guys today are wusses' argument is wrong. On the surface, you can see the numbers and wonder what happened to guys throwing 300 innings. But the game has changed. Pitching is a different animal than it was previously. At least, that's my opinion.

They changed the rules after Posey got hurt, they should change the rules now that multiple pitchers have been hurt

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm on board with Freddy. I'd rather see him than a Jungmann even as well as he has pitched in AAA.

Feel bad for Jimmy given the year he's had. I'm more concerned about the impact on his progress in 2018 and beyond than the 4-10 additional starts he'd get this year depending on postseason stuff, so let's hope for a successful rehab.

As for the rotation moving forward, you have to think it's Davies, Anderson, and Woodruff getting regular looks with some combo of Suter/Garza/Guerra/Call-up going on days 4 and 5. My guess is Brewers will eliminate 5th starter as off days allow down the stretch. We'll see.

I'm on board with Freddy. I'd rather see him than a Jungmann even as well as he has pitched in AAA.

He has been so good this year too. Like Corbin Burnes good. K numbers are off the charts. Don't know if he will be able to match Nelson but we might as well take a shot. We are in a pennant race with a completely dead offense, a swingman/6th starter does us no good.

I hope this doesn't mean Garza stays in the rotation the rest of the year but I'm afraid it will.

Archived