Brewer Fanatic

Ok who is it going to be?

Ok it seems to me after a LITTLE bit of research that its going to be one of 3 possible players.

Young, Weeks or Loewen.

For some reason I am intrigued with the idea of having Fielder and Young lurking in our farm system but Weeks is apparently a stud prospect as well.

How clear is it that Loewen is ace material?? I just dont know that much about him? Who is he most like in the big leagues now?

Someone with more info than me please handicap this 3 way horserace for the rest of us.

Someone with more info than me please handicap this 3 way horserace for the rest of us.

Again http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ? You really should visit this forum more often scoop.

1. So much really depends on whether or not Loewen signs with the Orioles by next Tuesday. I personally think that Adam Loewen will not sign with the Orioles.

2. The D-Rays reportedly will take either Weeks or Young, regardless of Loewen's availability. I personally think they will take Weeks.

3. If the D-Rays don't take Weeks, would the Brewers select him over Adam Loewen?

4. Melvin did state a day or two ago that he felt no pitcher was worthy of the #2 selection. However, he could have been posturing for all we know, and he may have been talking about the pitchers without considering Loewen, who technically cannot be talked about by other teams right now since the Orioles control the rights to sign him.

5. Melvin also specifically mentioned Tim Stauffer according to a poster yesterday along with Loewen, Weeks & Young. Stauffer probably would only be considered as a budget pick, and from everything Jack Z. & Melvin have said, signability will not be an issue.

So, who is our pick going to be? Either Loewen, Weeks or Young. My guess is that it will be Loewen, but I'm too scared to be disappointed for the 3rd year in a row to make that my final answer http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

My guess is that it will be Loewen, but I'm too scared to be disappointed for the 3rd year in a row to make that my final answer .

Considering your track record the last few years, could you do me a favor and root for Weeks! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Actually I'm sticking with my draft preview story with the same thing in mind by predicting Delmon Young as our selection http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Go Young! If not Young, Weeks. Woo-hoo! Go Weeks!

colby,

I know all that but you didnt get to the heart of the matter. I want to know if loewen is a cant miss ace of the future. If he is Prior-like then yes take him and go with it, but if he is just the best of a bunch of average pitchers then get another bopper.

I still think its going to be young.

Someone break down Loewen please!

im not sure what you are looking for???? there is no such thing as a sure thing..therefore: loewen is not a sure thing

i dont think he is a mark prior or arod...but i do think he has a good chance at being a good #1 starter

If he is Prior-like then yes take him and go with it,

What does that mean?

Mark Prior. You may have heard of him. I asked if he was a prospect with as much potential as Prior. Sorry if that was such a freakin mistake in your eyes. I will do my best to never inquire about a player in such an uncool way. I am sure you find much more interesting and savvy ways of asking questions. I just am trying to gauge whether or not Loewen is good enough to pass over a big time hitter like weeks or young.

Community Moderator

I just am trying to gauge whether or not Loewen is good enough to pass over a big time hitter like weeks or young.

The thing is that you phrased the question in kind of an odd way.....

but if he is just the best of a bunch of average pitchers then get another bopper.

That's the problem.... we don't know and won't know if they're a 'bunch of average pitchers' until 2-3 years from now. If your question is whether Loewen has a Prior-like ceiling, then yes, I'd say that the ceiling is there, but he's not at the level Prior was when he was drafted- yet. Is he a can't miss-ace? Who knows whether a guy is truly can't miss or not.

So did Jamey Wright, J.M. Gold, Nick Neugebauer, Cal Eldred, Jeff D'amico, etc.....I'm not saying we shouldn't draft Loewen, but I would rather see us drafting a positional prospect with the #1 pick.

For every Peterson, Gold & Neugebauer you throw out there, I can counter with a Felder, Williamson & Green. It's not a matter of taking a pitcher vs. a positional prospect, it's about taking the RIGHT positional player or pitcher.

I know all that but you didnt get to the heart of the matter. I want to know if loewen is a cant miss ace of the future. If he is Prior-like then yes take him and go with it, but if he is just the best of a bunch of average pitchers then get another bopper.

Well, you did ask me to handicap the "3-way horserace," and that's what I did.

As for the Mark Prior comparison, wipe that clean from your memory, there is no such thing. Mark Prior was a once in a lifetime prospect, much like Arod was in the early 90s. That's not to say there won't be players that effective, it's just that those guys guys were as close to a sure thing as you can get at the time they were drafted, and they didn't take long to live up to their lofty billing. They are just THAT good.

That said, I have heard one person say that Adam Loewen could very well be a left-handed version of Mark Prior. Reportedly, he has a similar athletic build, delivery, smooth mechanics & great pure stuff. He has struggled a little bit at times this past year, but I'm sure Mark Prior did during his freshman year in college. So yes, he does have that potential.

As I've stated before, Mark Mulder is a quick & easy comparison. Mulder like Loewen was also scouted as a positional player, and could have been a high pick as a hitter, just like Loewen could be. They're both extremely athletic ballplayers with good size & stuff. That athleticism allows them to have a good delivery & repeat that delivery well with good coordination & a strong base. They both can touch the middle 90s with their fastballs & work consistently in the low-90s. They both show a good, hard-breaking curve, and Loewen even mixes in a slider from time to time, along with a changeup.

In other words, he's far from average. RHPs like Kyle Sleeth & Tim Stauffer, while not average, are not worthy of the #2 selection. Plus, we wouldn't talk about the guy if he wasn't worthy of the selection. Give us some credit.

And as the profile in the link Toby provided shows, there are plenty of player profiles to check out on this site. Last I counted there were about 100 currently up, with another 20-30 on the way before draft day.

Quote:
I think Moreira is very "Prior-like."

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif Always be on the look out for those Proir like guys, we should draft them. I think they are good.

Archived