Brewer Fanatic

2017-18 Green Bay Packer Roster Prediction

CheezWizHed
Cobb could be a casualty if the Packers want to save money. His performance has never matched his contract, and he's never really been more than a #3 receiver, although historically he has excelled as a 3rd guy

Agreed. If Adams has another good season, it will be really tough to justify having three 10+ million WR's. Right now, Cobb is the 16th highest paid WR. As much as TT hates dead cap money, I think Cobb could be expendable (this year or next) unless he agrees to renegotiate his contract.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think there was more to Sitton's release than performance.

Sitton became a malcontent in the locker room after his request for an extension was denied. He became the proverbial "locker room cancer" that needed to be removed. There were also rumors that he and Sam Barrington got into an altercation over the Colin Kaepernick protests (which began during the exhibition season last year, and Barrington tweeted about his support for Kaepernick almost immediately). Neither Sitton nor Barrington made the final roster.

When have the Packers ever been pinched against the salary cap? Not in a decade. They've been carrying money over every year.

Counter-point: When have the Packers been foolish about where they allocate the salary cap? Few and far between. The issue isn't that Cobb stinks (although your earlier post about Cobb's 3 year totals leaves out the fact that half of that production came 3 years ago and has been in steady decline since), the question is Should you pay a slot WR $10M relative to his current contributions to this year's team when you have a number of players up for contract extensions?

I don't think the notion of cutting Cobb can be dismissed out of hand.

Gruber Lawffices

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

[pre]Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV

2014* 24 GNB WR 18 16 16 127 91 1287 14.1 12 70 5.7 80.4 71.7% 11 37 0 12 3.4 2.3 0.7 1324 12 4 16

2015 25 GNB WR 18 16 15 129 79 829 10.5 6 53 4.9 51.8 61.2% 13 50 0 12 3.8 3.1 0.8 879 6 1 8

2016 26 GNB WR 18 13 10 84 60 610 10.2 4 47 4.6 46.9 71.4% 10 33 0 14 3.3 2.5 0.8 643 4 1 6[/pre]

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Cobb was cut this year even though I've hinted at it in my 53 man roster threads this year and last. He is still a good WR with flexibility to come out of the backfield and return punts. He is sure-handed and smart (he will be a coach someday for sure).

But he isn't what he was. He is good, but being paid for great. His contract runs to next year when his cap hit will be $12.75M and his dead cap number would be $3.25M. Thus, cutting him would save $9.5M. So I think this year is really critical for him. If he puts up another 60R-610YD season like last year and some of the young guys are playing equal to him, he will probably be cut or asked to restructure.

And its tough decisions TT makes like that keep the Packers from having salary cap problems.

And with the Packers going to 2 TE sets, how much need is there really for a third quality receiver?

The Packers have built a system where there is a huge need to find star players in the draft and let them develop. But when you've got a receiving corps made of three established stars, there's really no room to fit in that breakout receiver. A breakout star stuck as a #4 doesn't really add a huge amount of value. If Davis were suddenly a star, he'd still probably only have the opportunity to catch 30 passes, and that doesn't really amount to more wins. It's like if TT saw the next "Oh my goodness I can't believe he fell that far he's going to be a superstar" WR in the draft, there's still no real reason to pick him up because that position is full.

Teams don't go to Superbowls on highly-paid stars, but through really good players being paid nothing. Maybe the value in cutting Cobb isn't so much that he's not playing to his pay, but because it creates room in the WR position for that really good rookie to emerge and have a bigger role on the team.

They would be silly to move on from Cobb this season. While his production has declined (an injury and the emergence of Adams at the #2), he still fits a role and his $10mil wouldn't be used to better the team in any other area anyways. He is trusted by Rodgers and one of his closer friends. He also provides us depth in the return department and backfield. I don't buy that we will see a bunch of two-TE sets. We will see Bennett split out and Kendricks fill in. They have Rodgers in his prime with some great targets. He will put up video game numbers once again and it will be up to the defensive players to decide whether or not they want to win a Super Bowl.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't buy that we will see a bunch of two-TE sets. We will see Bennett split out and Kendricks fill in.

I think the point of two-TE sets is that they can either run or split out Bennett. Put out nickle or dime and they run. Put out 3 LBs and they go 5 wide (Bennett, Kendricks and Montegomery). That is a tough lineup to defend.

They would be silly to move on from Cobb this season. While his production has declined (an injury and the emergence of Adams at the #2), he still fits a role and his $10mil wouldn't be used to better the team in any other area anyways. He is trusted by Rodgers and one of his closer friends. He also provides us depth in the return department and backfield. I don't buy that we will see a bunch of two-TE sets. We will see Bennett split out and Kendricks fill in. They have Rodgers in his prime with some great targets. He will put up video game numbers once again and it will be up to the defensive players to decide whether or not they want to win a Super Bowl.

Get ready to see a silly move, unless Cobb takes a big paycut he hasn't nearly lived up to his $48 million dollar contract, we probably need to sign Adams and if Im picking one or the other its a NO brainer, DA all the way. as a side note I love #13, he could be our Wes Welker down the road.

GO Pack

So, the starting 5 are pretty well set and look fairly strong (assuming Bulaga is healthy). However, this is one of the least impressive set of backups that I can remember in a long time.

Kyle Murphy - RT: Perhaps the best of the lot so far. Murphy has actually looked pretty competent out there. If Bulaga is out for the starter, I tend to think Murphy gets the start.

Jason Spriggs - LT/RT: Spriggs has been a human turnstile this preseason. He actually looked better against Denver, but still gave up sacks/pressure on inside moves. I can forgive it against Von Miller. Then he seemed to solidify before getting beaten on an inside move again.

Kofi Amichia, Thomas Evans, Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray, Geoff Gray - Inside OL: I haven't watched these guys individually, but there has been a ton of pressure up the middle all preseason. Stunts have completely blown up this unit and run blocking hasn't been great up the middle either. After advocating to get rid of Don Barclay the last two seasons, I actually can't wait for him to get back healthy.

I would not be surprised at all if there is a late trade or waiver wire pickup for a backup OL.

So, the starting 5 are pretty well set and look fairly strong (assuming Bulaga is healthy). However, this is one of the least impressive set of backups that I can remember in a long time.

Kyle Murphy - RT: Perhaps the best of the lot so far. Murphy has actually looked pretty competent out there. If Bulaga is out for the starter, I tend to think Murphy gets the start.

Jason Spriggs - LT/RT: Spriggs has been a human turnstile this preseason. He actually looked better against Denver, but still gave up sacks/pressure on inside moves. I can forgive it against Von Miller. Then he seemed to solidify before getting beaten on an inside move again.

Kofi Amichia, Thomas Evans, Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray, Geoff Gray - Inside OL: I haven't watched these guys individually, but there has been a ton of pressure up the middle all preseason. Stunts have completely blown up this unit and run blocking hasn't been great up the middle either. After advocating to get rid of Don Barclay the last two seasons, I actually can't wait for him to get back healthy.

I would not be surprised at all if there is a late trade or waiver wire pickup for a backup OL.

Gray is gonna take a season but I really think he's gonna be a long time starter for the Packers. I do think that Thompson has undervalued the guards and I think he should have spent the money to at least bring Tretter back(if he'd have been willing to stay for a simliar salary). Evans has had his moments where he looks like a bulldozer, but I don't know if he is gonna provide the same pocket that has allowed Rodgers to move around.

As for Spriggs, I think he'll be fine with more reps. He did get roasted by Miller, but the week before I think was greatly exaggerated. The first sack he gave up was because Hundley didn't stay in the pocket. He rode his guy out and the pass rusher got the sack about 10 yards deep. You expect a seasoned QB to step up there as the OLB'er just goes past him. If you think back, people were pretty down on Lang his first couple of years. Not saying Spriggs doesn't need to get better, I just think he's better than he's shown. I'm with you that if Bulaga went down it'd be Murphy, but I think if Bahktari goes down, it's Spriggs at LT.

I think things would look a lot differently if you had the starters in there with any one of the guys you mentioned. Stunts are usually gonna destroy an OL during the pre-season with guys coming in and out and without and the communication not nearly as good as it'd be during the season.

Other than Spriggs, Murphy and particularly Gray, I haven't really paid attention to any of the other interior linemen either..so I can only go off what Rodgers and McCarthy have said. I believe McCarthy has lamented his confidence in their depth and Rodgers has said they need to shore it up. I'd tend to believe Rodgers a bit more. You can usually read a lot into his most reserved statements even. To me it says he's not real confident with his backup's. I like Gray....but I wouldn't want to see him on the field protecting Rodgers this year. Barclay...it's almost impossible to get a real read on what he's gonna do since he's been hampered by injuries.

The top 8 seem obvious to me, but beyond that, I wouldn't be shocked to see them make a move. Again, the only real question mark to me is if they expose Gray to waivers to try to get him back on the practice squad or if they keep him on the roster this year. Given the numbers, I find the later less likely.

Off topic I suppose. I'm not enamored with Hundley at all. I've never observed a worse method of QB sneaking on 4th and Inches in my life....twice.

It was really just once and it's not exactly a rare move. The problem on one was the snap. But when looking at a young QB, I don't think they're QB sneaks are of particular import.

I think this is almost entirely a product of having Favre and then Rodgers. Hundley looks like a prototypical QB in the NFL. The size, arm strength, feet, his speed. Not sure what more you want out of a young QB who's come in with constantly changing personnel. I think Hundley could start for a lot of teams in the NFL right now. He's looked about as good as a backup can this pre-season.

And with the Packers going to 2 TE sets, how much need is there really for a third quality receiver?

The Packers have built a system where there is a huge need to find star players in the draft and let them develop. But when you've got a receiving corps made of three established stars, there's really no room to fit in that breakout receiver. A breakout star stuck as a #4 doesn't really add a huge amount of value. If Davis were suddenly a star, he'd still probably only have the opportunity to catch 30 passes, and that doesn't really amount to more wins. It's like if TT saw the next "Oh my goodness I can't believe he fell that far he's going to be a superstar" WR in the draft, there's still no real reason to pick him up because that position is full.

Teams don't go to Superbowls on highly-paid stars, but through really good players being paid nothing. Maybe the value in cutting Cobb isn't so much that he's not playing to his pay, but because it creates room in the WR position for that really good rookie to emerge and have a bigger role on the team.

Yes, I think there really is. I think there is a huge need for a past first team like the Packers who don't have anything resembling a durable #1 back to have a quality 3rd WR'er. I think they need to have a quality 3rd, 4th and 5th for that matter. These guys go down. That's not to say that I would be shocked if they cut Cobb(or traded him) but I think they would have to have a significant level of confidence in whoever was coming into replace them.

Also, I wouldn't just take it for granted that the Packers are going to be running a ton out of a two tight. Over McCarthy's time here they're among the lowest in the league in number of plays run with two Tight Ends and Bennett, as good as he looks IS on his 5th team since 2011 and has a history of getting banged up.

I feel fairly confident that they'll go with 7 WR'ers on on this roster.

Obviously Nelson and Adams are locks.

Cobb-I think he's safe given the Packers level of confidence, but it wouldn't surprise me if they dump him and go younger if they feel comfortable with some of the younger guys.

Janis-I think he's gonna make the team just for his impact on special teams. He's also improved his route running and his hands. I think people have soured on him because he hasn't turned into a great WR'er, but this is a guy from...what was it, Savannah State? Or Saginaw? Either way, there was a massive jump in competition and he didn't need to be a precision route runner. But his impact on the KR team and moreso on the punt teams, kickoff teams...I think he makes it.

After those 4...it's just totally up in the air. Clark has no shot. I wonder if we'll be able to sneak him past waivers.

My guess would be that after those 4 we go into week 1 with Davis, McCaffery and Dupre as our 7 with a big decision to make after Allison comes back week 2. But a lot of that is just on hearsay. Davis looks electric and a little better as a route runner, but it's really hard to say in the limited snaps I've seen. McCaffery looks impressive and I like how he catches the ball. He goes up strong and catches it away from his body and is physical enough to fight for extra yards. But most of what I've hard about McCaffery comes from articles in which reporters are talking about how impressive he is. I wonder if we'd hear the same if he had a different family. And I'm not sure if the Packers are gonna trust Davis. It would definitely be nice to have a guy who can take the top off a defense though. We haven't had guys who could get a lot of separation the last couple years.

I could also see the Packers giving a guy like Clark a much bigger salary if he passes through waivers to stay on the practice squad. Guys with his size and athletic ability are rare. But with injuries, I don't think we're gonna be able to hold onto anyone of our other WR'ers if we let them go. At least not long. And you know TT is looking ahead to next year. Adams is a free agent and I doubt we're gonna be spending 10-15 million on 3 WR'ers. And Nelson is gonna be 33 years old. So that's why I think we go into the year with 8(7 on the 53 man).

I could see Cobb being cut, to keep McCaffrey or Dupre

I think its fairly certain that Nelson, Adams, Janis, Davis, Yancy will make the team.

this is as strong as a WR corp as I can remember.

You can see Cobb - a guy who over the last three years has over 2700 receiving yards and 22 TDs and in three playoff games last year racked up 260 receiving yards and 3 TDs - being cut for a UDFA who was cut by the Raiders last year after training camp, or a guy who was a 7th round draft pick.

giphy.gif

Who exactly was Lane Taylor a year ago at this time? We cut an all pro LG the weekend before the regular season(so a much better guard than Cobb has been a WR'er over the same time frame you're using).

Cobb probably sticks for another year, but this is hardly a huge stretch.

The WR'er battle and the DB battles are gonna be the most interesting. We could see a guy like Cobb gone and we could see our top CB for most of last year cut as well in Gunter.

This is where people are valuing the Packers money as if it was their own. I just cannot see Teddy T cutting Cobb this season because it would just bother Rodgers way too much for it to be worth it. There's no reason Cobb cannot still be one of the five receivers on this team. He will still of a role and will still make some tough catches in big spots. Will he put up video game numbers? Probably not. But I don't think the Packers need that from him to be successful this season. After this year, will he take a pay cut? Maybe and they might retain him again. If he doesn't want to go that route, then maybe I see the Packers moving on from him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sitton wasn't cut because of salary or because they thought Lane Taylor was better. There were rumors of multiple locker room issues with him, and he was openly critical of MM to the press.

And Sitton was a pro-bowl player (popularity contest), not all-pro.

Yes, I think Spriggs will get better, but I'm disappointed that he isn't a bit closer now. I've watched all three games and he has been bad in all three. I thought it was better in Denver, but then he wiff on VM (understandable) and then another inside move by a backup (not understandable). I read somewhere that he plays games with the DL and tries to bait them into a trap. But if they don't take the bait, he tends to whiff.

I've read interesting things about Gray, but like you said... a year away.

No matter, there isn't any inside depth that I'm comfortable with right now. Stunts or not the backup middle OL have been extremely porous. Hundley has been running for his life back there. Sacks or not, the pressure has been huge.

I found this apropos for the Spriggs discussion. In an article speaking to how badly the OLBs have been in practice (especially with Matthews and Perry out comes this blurb:

...the Packers had only four healthy outside linebackers: Kyler Fackrell, Reggie Gilbert,Johnathan Calvin and Josh Letuligasenoa. They had a long day. In one-on-one pass rushing, they went a combined 1-8 as outside rushers, with Gilbert getting the only win, against tackle Jason Spriggs.

Can't be worse than we had before, but we take a hit to the "Packer people" mentality. Hopefully those days are behind him.

forgive my ignorance, is his 2 biggest black marks on him 2 bad hits while with the niners? i had to google today what character flaws people were freaking out over.

Can't be worse than we had before, but we take a hit to the "Packer people" mentality. Hopefully those days are behind him.

forgive my ignorance, is his 2 biggest black marks on him 2 bad hits while with the niners? i had to google today what character flaws people were freaking out over.

Actually, it is sexual battery. I believe I heard there's an outside chance he could still face league discipline as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/49ers/2015/08/26/ahmad-brooks-ray-mcdonald-charge-indictment/32444959/

Archived