Brewer Fanatic

Garza out of rotation

markedman5
Obviously things like that are to be taken seriously, but unless someone has more info, I have not heard of any complications or high risk factors with Garza's wife other than being pregnant with twins, which obviously carries risk but in general deliver healthy births just like single births.

HIPAA, specifically the Privacy Rule. Along those lines, I don't recall anyone, much less pro athletes, being required to disclose details on any medical conditions regarding them or their family.

My best friends' wife was pregnant with twins. You know the outcome.

Can Travis Shaw just go home, would that be ok with everyone, seeing as what is going on with his child?

Shaw did go home, twice - from June 5-7 (paternity) and then again from June 9-13 (bereavement).

Travis didn't take bereavement leave. His daughter had open heart surgery. As far as we know she is doing well.

I understand the thesis, developed with such intellectual rigor in this thread, that those of us who blame Garza for quitting on his teammates two years ago are just callous haters of pregnant women. However, I respectfully propose a counter-thesis: We have an acquaintance with the facts.

Here's the MLB.com report on Garza's removal from the rotation and refusal to pitch in relief. Note the date: September 6, 2015.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/147600788/matt-garza-upset-after-removal-from-rotation/

Here's the money quote: "Melvin, who announced earlier this month he would begin transitioning out of the GM role, also said the Brewers asked Garza to pitch the remainder of the season out of the bullpen, and Garza refused."

The report, which quotes Garza extensively, makes no mention at all of his wife's pregnancy.

On September 17 -- 11 days *later* -- the JS reported on Garza's departure from the team to be with his wife:

http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/328112021.html

The report, by the way, doesn't mention anything about problems with her pregnancy. It essentially says that since he had already stopped playing, the team just said go home.

To sum up, the public record tells us: (1) Matt Garza refused to pitch out of the bullpen in September 2015 entirely because he was angry at being removed from the rotation and not at all because his wife was pregnant; (2) Matt Garza ten days later left the team to spend an extended prenatal hiatus with his wife not because her pregnancy was in crisis but because, owing to his earlier refusal to pitch, he wasn't needed at work.

Sorry, Garza apologists, that this Garza critic turns out not to be a callous hater of pregnant women. But hey, if you still want to root out those scoundrels, they're out there:

https://nesn.com/2017/01/brewers-matt-garza-gets-roasted-for-dumb-hypocritical-birth-control-tweet/https://nesn.com/2017/01/brewers-matt-garza-gets-roasted-for-dumb-hypocritical-birth-control-tweet/

I'm glad Garza was kicked out of the rotation. It's completely the right decision. I was hoping for it. And, no, I wouldn't pick up the $5 million for 2018, even to trade him, unless we have a deal in mind pre-camp (and, frankly, why would we).

He's a progress stopper for younger arms at a minimum. I am pleased the organization made this decision. Next step, hopefully we don't sign someone of his ilk again.

I understand the thesis, developed with such intellectual rigor in this thread, that those of us who blame Garza for quitting on his teammates two years ago are just callous haters of pregnant women. However, I respectfully propose a counter-thesis: We have an acquaintance with the facts.

Here's the MLB.com report on Garza's removal from the rotation and refusal to pitch in relief. Note the date: September 6, 2015.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/147600788/matt-garza-upset-after-removal-from-rotation/

Here's the money quote: "Melvin, who announced earlier this month he would begin transitioning out of the GM role, also said the Brewers asked Garza to pitch the remainder of the season out of the bullpen, and Garza refused."

The report, which quotes Garza extensively, makes no mention at all of his wife's pregnancy.

On September 17 -- 11 days *later* -- the JS reported on Garza's departure from the team to be with his wife:

http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/328112021.html

The report, by the way, doesn't mention anything about problems with her pregnancy. It essentially says that since he had already stopped playing, the team just said go home.

To sum up, the public record tells us: (1) Matt Garza refused to pitch out of the bullpen in September 2015 entirely because he was angry at being removed from the rotation and not at all because his wife was pregnant; (2) Matt Garza ten days later left the team to spend an extended prenatal hiatus with his wife not because her pregnancy was in crisis but because, owing to his earlier refusal to pitch, he wasn't needed at work.

Sorry, Garza apologists, that this Garza critic turns out not to be a callous hater of pregnant women. But hey, if you still want to root out those scoundrels, they're out there:

https://nesn.com/2017/01/brewers-matt-garza-gets-roasted-for-dumb-hypocritical-birth-control-tweet/https://nesn.com/2017/01/brewers-matt-garza-gets-roasted-for-dumb-hypocritical-birth-control-tweet/

I'm not trying to be combative but didn't it come out a few days later that the reporter took a lot of "creative license" with the Garza story?

gregmag, you've been around here long enough to know not to go into the political realm, and your last link goes way, way into that. Knock it off.

Second, you didn't seem to get to the last paragraph of this article:

"I'm not going to throw another ball, and that's it," Garza said. "If I wasn't a good team guy, I'd just ask to go home. I've got four kids and a wife pregnant with two. I don't know. I haven't made a decision yet. I'll go from there."

Yes, yes it does mention his wife's pregnancy.

The Brewers have said Garza will still start and pitch in game. Basically, the assumption is they are going to treat each game as a chance to pitch with matchups to start, and then go from there. Within each game, they are going to pitch like the Cards did in the '11 playoffs where the starters rarely pitched into the 5th inning. At least that's what I'm reading into all the comments

Travis didn't take bereavement leave. His daughter had open heart surgery. As far as we know she is doing well.

(*Sigh*)

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/roster/transactions/2017/06

Didn't realize that was announced. I guess she didn't make it through the surgery. Sad.

That's not true, thankfully. It may be a tough road for her and family but she's still with us.

Bereavement leave for MLB does not necessarily imply death.

Garza's stats through the first 3 innings:

3.00 ERA

1.29 WHIP

6 k/9

3.3 bb/9

.241 BAA

Not amazing but not trashy either. Garza can start a game, you just can't let him go a second time through the lineup. With as many pitchers as they have now I'm guessing they're going to piggyback Garza with someone, Suter, Guerra, or maybe Woodruff to limit his innings.

As I stated above, my reading into the comments from Counsell last week and in Spring Training regarding a creative rotation solution is that we're going to have 3-4 true starters and the others will be matchup based. If a starter is struggling early, expect them to pitch only a few innings, like the Cardinals in the 2011 playoffs.

I'm trying to figure out what would be so bad with Woodruff, Anderson, Davies facing the Cubs. Cubs have never seen Woodruff, save guys like Happ who saw him in the minor leagues and he mowed down the Nats.

That being said, the Reds pummeled Nelson last time they saw him and Garza's been considerably better in day games throughout his career and noticeably lately. As bad as he was in August almost all the damage was done in night games (18 ER in 11 IP). In his 3 day game starts in August he was 2-0 and only allowed 5 earned runs in 16 innings. But saving Nelson for Wrigley where he's got a 5.45 career ERA?

The Cards have come back to life a bit, and they still play the Cubs alot down the stretch...the division is absolutely still in play with the Cubs' shaky starting pitching.

With the Rockies' remaining schedule, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the 2nd wild card winds up being the the NL Central's 2nd place finisher (Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals)

Archived