Brewer Fanatic

Garza out of rotation

markedman5

Says he is not being completely removed from the rotation. Maybe that's our nice way of telling him, 'You're still in our rotation, but we're skipping the rest of your starts.'

"You're still in the rotation but we want you to rest your arm for the playoffs so we'll revisit your role in mid October"

Says he is not being completely removed from the rotation. Maybe that's our nice way of telling him, 'You're still in our rotation, but we're skipping the rest of your starts.'

Did Stearns pat him on the head and give him a cookie as well?

They said Suter is being activated but will not say what his role will be. I'm guessing Suter starts on Sunday, and with him coming off the DL I think they will have him on a pitch count and go as far as he can go, then bring in Garza. Sunday is too short for it to be Jungmann (another very good performance tonight if you haven't checked the minor league link report) or Wilkerson.

With Colorado Springs in the AAA playoffs there will be a lot of moving pieces this weekend - they may not yet know who to bring up right away and who backfills from AA. My guess is Jungmann and Guerra to MIL, and CS's playoff rotation is Blazek/Espino/Derby/Ventura, with Wilkerson/Perrin/T. Williams backfilling for Woodruff/Jungmann/Guerra.

Will he take his ball and go home again?

Considering his wife is not in a high-risk pregnancy with twins right now (as far as I know), I'd say the chances are significantly less of that happening.

(One of my best friends just lost both of his twins due to complications of a high-risk pregnancy, in case you think something like that isn't serious.)

With Colorado Springs in the AAA playoffs there will be a lot of moving pieces this weekend - they may not yet know who to bring up right away and who backfills from AA. My guess is Jungmann and Guerra to MIL, and CS's playoff rotation is Blazek/Espino/Derby/Ventura, with Wilkerson/Perrin/T. Williams backfilling for Woodruff/Jungmann/Guerra.

espino was traded to texas, optioned and pitched against colorado springs this week.

Will he take his ball and go home again?

Considering his wife is not in a high-risk pregnancy with twins right now (as far as I know), I'd say the chances are significantly less of that happening.

(One of my best friends just lost both of his twins due to complications of a high-risk pregnancy, in case you think something like that isn't serious.)

Ya, I just can't understand how the Garza haters ignore what was going on with his wife when they whine about him leaving last year.

Can Travis Shaw just go home, would that be ok with everyone, seeing as what is going on with his child?

Obviously things like that are to be taken seriously, but unless someone has more info, I have not heard of any complications or high risk factors with Garza's wife other than being pregnant with twins, which obviously carries risk but in general deliver healthy births just like single births.

Of course there are emergency situations that take precedence over baseball. That's the way it should be. But there are 750 guys on 25 man rosters in Major League Baseball, and all of them have stuff going on in their lives. Marriage problems. Family problems. Friend problems. Health problems with family. Pregnancies. Deaths in the family.

Life happens, and they can't all just pack up and head home every time it does. So I definitely understand the other side of that too.

Guerra was pulled after 58 pitches of shutout ball Wednesday night. No reason to pull him there unless to save him to come back on 3 days rest and pitch Sunday.

Ugh, if Guerra's velocity isn't back to 2016 levels, why send him back out there? His pedestrian K rate makes me think that its not.

Can Travis Shaw just go home, would that be ok with everyone, seeing as what is going on with his child?

Obviously things like that are to be taken seriously, but unless someone has more info, I have not heard of any complications or high risk factors with Garza's wife other than being pregnant with twins, which obviously carries risk but in general deliver healthy births just like single births.

Of course there are emergency situations that take precedence over baseball. That's the way it should be. But there are 750 guys on 25 man rosters in Major League Baseball, and all of them have stuff going on in their lives. Marriage problems. Family problems. Friend problems. Health problems with family. Pregnancies. Deaths in the family.

Life happens, and they can't all just pack up and head home every time it does. So I definitely understand the other side of that too.

There was plenty of talk about concerns about the pregnancy last year. And, personally, I would have no problem with Shaw taking a leave from the team to be with his daughter and wife or anyone in a similar situation. Also, those situations are totally different. Garza would have thrown pointless innings in a role he had never done before on a team that was playing for nothing. Probably taking innings away from young guys which I'm sure plenty of people would have complained about. Shaw is a starter and a middle of the order hitter while fighting for a playoff spot. Frankly, I think the Brewers organization would have come out looking pretty bad if they fined or suspended Garza for choosing his family over pitching a handful of garbage time innings the last couple weeks of a losing season.

HIPAA, specifically the Privacy Rule. Along those lines, I don't recall anyone, much less pro athletes, being required to disclose details on any medical conditions regarding them or their family.

My best friends' wife was pregnant with twins. You know the outcome.

Shaw did go home, twice - from June 5-7 (paternity) and then again from June 9-13 (bereavement).

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Matt Garza. Making a decision about where he needed to be relative to baseball last year isn't one of them. If Shaw made the choice to leave, there's no way I would fault him for it. Same thing with Segura a few years ago. In situations like that, some abstract notion of "duty" or "team loyalty" does not trump an individual's right to make their own choices about what to prioritize. If it hurts the team, it hurts the team. Not the most important thing in that moment.

I'm on board with Garza not being set in stone as a starter. Seems like nobody trusted him after 5 anyway, even in generally good outings. Trotting him out there to begin a game, when you have basically no choice but to have a relatively long leash, doesn't seem like the best approach. With expanded rosters, call up some pitchers and have no patience for guys that don't get outs.

Shaw going home on paternity and bereavement is a little different than Garza heading home the rest of the season.

I realize this is pretty sensitive territory. I do sympathize with anyone who has ever lost a child. No one should ever have to feel that pain.

On high risk pregnancies and other hardships, I'm not quite sure where the line in the sand is. But I do believe there is one. Should guys just start heading home for 9 months whenever their significant other becomes pregnant? Or if a child gets pneumonia? Again, what is the line in the sand?

'Where he needed to be relative to baseball ' isn't really his decision during the baseball season, not if he wants to get paid. Just like any other job, he has a contract that specifies his duties and emergencies that qualify him to be absent. My wife got some news during her most recent pregnancy several years ago that was very stressful on us (thankfully, everything turned out fine.) I could not simply go to my employer and ask to have a week off to deal with it.

Maybe I'm less sympathetic as well because I did serve in Iraq and I saw many home hardships dealt with from afar, from cheating girlfriends and wives, high risk pregnancies, parents with cancer, just about anything you could think of. If a family member died, they tried to get you home, but other than that, nothing you could do but deal with it. Plenty of dads watching their children be born via Skype.

I just want to add that I do understand that that is a completely different obligation and thing than baseball, which is just a game. And I fully realize and acknowledge that those experiences aren't a good reason to deny a baseball player going home to his family for an emergency. I guess I'm just asking what IS that line in the sand, because I do believe in some degree of loyalty to a team.

It's NOT the player's right to decide what to prioritize. Those should be very carefully detailed out to him in his contract. It's not just a 'play when you can but feel free to go on home if things get rough' environment. It's an important obligation and part of their life. That's why I respect the heck out of guys who decide to walk away from millions at 32 when they're already set because spending time with family is more important to them.

Archived