Brewer Fanatic
After reviewing our draft situation, I am now hoping we somehow can land Rickie Weeks. Lowen was my 1st choice for a long time like colby but I feel Weeks' demand may be a bit smaller and hes the safest pick of the big three. Also, Do you feel there is even the slightest chance of Milledge falling to our 2nd round much like some previous guys fell?(Neugebauer,Hutchinson,Heard,Sardinha etc)

Milledge falling to the second round is an interesting thought, tho I don't think it will happen. The perfect draft would be, to me anyway, Loewen in the first, Milledge in the second, and Salty in the third, and stranger things have happened, but the likelytude of that is almost nil. I just can't imagine 30+ picks going by without a guy like Lastings being taken, as long as Boras isn't his agent.

I dont pretend to be able to predict what Mil will do in the draft but the article in the MJS this morning seemed to indicate that TB is leanding toward Young which would leave Mil with Weeks. The article said the Brewers arent that interested in any of the pitchers available with the 2nd pick due to risk. They claim Weeks could be in the Brewer lineup in a couple years and would be very hard to pass up if available.

I still am kind of hoping for Young. Fielder and Young batting in the middle of that order in 2005 or 2006 sounds nice.

Here's a link to that story:

www.jsonline.com/sports/b...141498.asp

First of all, I'm not as convinced that the D-Rays will take Delmon Young. While in-house visits like Young's definitely leave a lasting impression (see Prince Fielder from last year), they have liked Rickie Weeks for a long, long time. And while you must always draft the best player available, the D-Rays glut of OFs looks almost TOO good to keep drafting promising OFs, doesn't it? At some point you have to say 'yeah, we'll take the best player available as long as that player ISN'T an outfielder.'

Loewen did nothing to hurt his status with a fine season at Chipola (6-1, 2.47 ERA), and the Brewers certainly are in need of starting pitching. But Melvin doesn't seem too keen on using the No. 2 pick on a pitcher, unless it's a Mark Prior or Kerry Wood type.

"With pitching, there's a lot of risk," Melvin said. "You can still get pitchers in the second, third and fourth rounds."

Of course, I'm biased because I still do like Loewen, but these statements really could be reversed in regards to positional prospects as well. First round high school outfielders actually are the riskiest of all picks, more risky than high school catchers & RHPs, and I don't believe ANY 2B has ever been taken as high as 2nd overall, although Weeks is no ordinary 2B. Plus, it can also be argued that you can still get positional prospects in the second, third & fourth rounds.

While any pitcher is risky, and there is no sure thing, it's really really hard to deny a LHP with Loewen's stature, athleticism, stuff & command. While he did seem to droop as the season progressed, there have been some extremely encouraging reports on him, and I'm not so sure you can let someone with his potential slip by.

Of course, once again, you could make the same argument for Weeks, or Young. Personally, I will be happy with any 3 of those players, I just fear the possibility of Loewen falling to someone like the Cubs who will pick him up in a heartbeat & add another promising arm to another promising stable full of them. With Weeks we'll have the best 2B prospect in all of baseball, and with Young we'll have a legitimate corner OF prospect. But Loewen is the only guy I really don't want to see go anywhere else but Milwaukee. Of course the Orioles could still make this a non-issue within a week +.

And regardless what Melvin has stated so far, this is comforting:

"I told Jack, 'Don't worry about it. Just identify the top two players in the draft and you'll get one of them,' " Melvin said.

While Melvin has some of his own ideas, it seems as though he is going to put his trust in Jack Z. for him to make the final call, even if Melvin does have the ultimate decision.

From a thread over at T1, based off of comments from the Chicago media:

Phil Rogers reports that Loewen could slide to #6

Whispers:...If history repeats, the Cubs will use the sixth pick of the draft to take Canadian lefty Adam Loewen. The Orioles hold the rights to Loewen through May 27, but given the pattern of the Cubs grabbing pitchers who slide--Mark Prior and Bobby Brownlie, to name two--don't be surprised if he's the latest arm added to the stable. ... The Devil Rays could use the first overall pick on Delmon Young, younger brother of Detroit's Dmitri Young.

Meanwhile, during the Cubs/Brewers 4-game series this past week, Cubs color analyst Steve Stone said that the Brewers are very interested in a pitcher from Richmond (I assume he meant Tim Stauffer).

I don't think Stauffer is still an option at #2. The poster also adds that Rogers thinks the Brewers will pick up Weeks if the D-Rays do indeed select Young. Of course, these feelings could be based on the same information we're seeing.

When asked Igor do you think the D-rays are trying to play games with everyone so they can sign their pick cheaper? I quickly said yes. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the D-rays still want Weeks and they are just trying to sign him to predraft terms and using "interest" in Young to get him a few bucks cheaper.

Interesting to see Tim Staufer mentioned . On Brewers Ticket before Mondays Brewer/SD game, Melvin mentioned 4 players by name; Weeks, Young, Lowen, and Staufer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived