Brewer Fanatic

Arizona League Game Stopped Due to Maryvale's Julio Mendez HBP to heart

And That
Maybe Venezuelan health care is really good. I don't know one way or the other, but it's a good-sized country with well-developed institutions (political chaos notwithstanding). I would imagine he has family who would like him close, and presumably there's no great danger at this point in moving him. It makes sense to me that they would bring him home.

Man, I hope he comes through this and can live a good life.

plus, language barriers can be/are huge

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Maybe Venezuelan health care is really good. I don't know one way or the other, but it's a good-sized country with well-developed institutions (political chaos notwithstanding). I would imagine he has family who would like him close, and presumably there's no great danger at this point in moving him. It makes sense to me that they would bring him home.

Man, I hope he comes through this and can live a good life.

I hope so, too, but I think that given what I know of the situation down there, and the fact he hasn't been improving... well, it doesn't look good.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this can explain exactly what's going on since there are basically zero details. Is he conscious? Is he in a coma? What exactly are they doing to treat him? From just the scant reading I did on it, I understand why what happened is bad for him. I'm sure he will have lifelong effects from this but it seems like the life or death concern should have passed by now.

I know nothing of the specifics of this case, but often after a cardiac event the issue is that certain organs, primarily the brain, have been deprived of oxygen for an extended amount of time. Sometimes that results in a coma. Sometimes a coma is induced to give the body a chance to heal. Either way, at that point it's mainly about waiting and hoping. The level of health care doesn't make much of a difference at that point. It wouldn't surprise me if that's where we're at. If he was going home because he was doing well, I'm sure the statement would've mentioned it.

• 3 weeks later...
Not really sure what standard operating procedure is here, but I think it would be a fine thing if David himself were to head down to Venezuela for a day and meet with the kid.

May there never be a day where this becomes common enough for there to be a standard procedure. I'm not sure about a trip down there given the unrest in Venezuela, but some gesture beyond just a call is warranted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

TWEET from Ramon Perez, the father of fellow Venezuelan farmhand and Maryvale Brewers C/1B Moises Perez, includes this photo of Moises with Julio Mendez, visiting Maryvale to see Brewers medical staff

While we can hope that there is a return to the field eventually for Julio, it's great to see him looking well.

DgK9DTrX0AA7wwQ.jpg

Julio is a braver man than I if he wants to resume his baseball career. I'd be done. Just awesome that he's alive and well. I remember him being on life support for several weeks and assuming there was little hope.

Archived