Brewer Fanatic

Arizona League Game Stopped Due to Maryvale's Julio Mendez HBP to heart

And That

Creating this thread as a breakoff split from Saturday 8/26's Link Report in order to dedicate these posts to all of our concerns for Maryvale farmhand Julio Mendez.

This picture is from his Helena Opening Day appearance, he only played two Pioneer League games before returning to Maryvale.

http://www.milb.com/images/531588/generic/180x270/531588.jpg

Below are the first posts of the evening - Mass Haas (Jim)

With some acknowledgement that any portion of this may be hyperbole, but also that none of it may be, I do not enjoy posting this update from the AZL game, ended early with 1 out in the 9th:

FORGET THE FIGHT! PRAYERS OUT TO JULIO MENDEZ FROM BREWERS AZL. HBP, UNCONSCIOUS, AND HEART STOPPED BEATING FOR OVER 20 MINUTES

This is from a Padres fan account, the Padres being the opposing team in tonight's game.

We'll post any updates.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tweet from the 20-year-old Angels RHP Austin Krzeminski who hit Mendez with the pitch --

"If everyone could do me a favor and say a prayer for Julio Mendez it would really mean a lot"

Krzeminski, before Saturday's outing, had only walked one man unintentionally and had only one HBP in 25.2 innings. Let's keep this young man in our thoughts as well.

Julio Mendez, a 4th year pro, also just 20 years old, is listed at 5'10", 140 at his MiLB Player Page, but this spring's media guide has him at 171 pounds. I only mention that since many will seek out his player info, and a super slight frame shouldn't be seen as a contributing factor to this most unfortunate situation.

Scary situation, indeed.

Sadly, this kind of thing happens on occasion in youth baseball. A kid gets hit by a liner in the chest, etc.

This is the first time that I can remember it happening at the pro level, and with a pitched ball.

Prayers to Mendez, for sure. And also to all who witnessed this.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
While we recognize the need to protect Mendez' privacy, and the need to keep his family informed of the latest (presumably they are in Venezuela), we hope Farm Director Tom Flanagan and the Brewers are able to release a positive report early on this Sunday regarding Julio's condition.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

First-hand viewing details linked to Reddit poster "brew_burner", so scary.

Copy and paste of Reddit post --

I can give details. Was there in person watching. Julio was hit by a pitch in what looked like the ribs/chest and immediately fell to the ground. Trainers took action very quickly. He was laying on his stomach and was rolled over. His breathing was very sharp and aggressive if I had to describe it. Then, it stopped, and trainers for both teams started CPR. There was a good 10 minutes (felt like an eternity) before paramedics arrived and took over the process. He was shocked (not certain of the correct medical terms, I apologize) 3 times during the entire process. He came back and took a few breaths at one point on his own during the process but it was only for a few seconds. He was taken to the ambulance while CPR was still being performed.

[attachment=0]IMG_20170827_123148.jpg[/attachment]

Statement from the Brewers. I am trying not to read too much into this but really hoping the fact that he has made it so far is a sign that he is going to survive this.

Commotio Cordis is most likely the condition that he suffered. It is extremely serious and often fatal, but surviveable. It usually comes down to whether or not CPR and the defribberlator were administered in time. Every second is critical.

Scary situation, indeed.

Sadly, this kind of thing happens on occasion in youth baseball. A kid gets hit by a liner in the chest, etc.

This is the first time that I can remember it happening at the pro level, and with a pitched ball.

Prayers to Mendez, for sure. And also to all who witnessed this.

Many, many, many years ago I actually witnessed this happen during a little league game. IIRC the kids was about 10 and I wasn't much older than that my self and it is still one of the saddest things I have ever experienced. There was a fire department literally on the other side of the parking lot and it still wasn't quick enough. That experience was solely responsible for kids being forced to wear chest protection all through little league.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

First off, prayers for Mendez.

Item of note: there has been 1 player in the history of MLB baseball that died from a pitched ball. SS Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians in 1920. He passed away the next day if I recall the stories correctly. I believe he was hit in the head by the pitch.

This is a case of commotio cordis. Unfortunately the survival rate from this is not very high. That being said he was in very good hands with the professionals from Tempe Fire Dept. Sadly I'd say if he survives this his playing days are over. 20 minutes is a long time to be down during a code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wow, prayers for the Mendez. That is a scary situation.

This is why I'm not for plunking players intentionally. I know this wasn't intentionally, but just shows (in extreme) what can happen. Just no reason to add risk to the game.

This is a case of commotio cordis. Unfortunately the survival rate from this is not very high. That being said he was in very good hands with the professionals from Tempe Fire Dept. Sadly I'd say if he survives this his playing days are over. 20 minutes is a long time to be down during a code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one of the first things that stands out, but the training these medical professionals have just to get him to the hospital can at least give you hope.

Just another reason why these bean-ball wars are so ridiculous in today's game. There are enough accidental batters hit by pitch. Hopefully something like this(which I assume and hope was just a wild pitch) will change the attitudes in baseball.

How did he even get hit this way? The only way I can think of this happening was if he was squaring to bunt. Otherwise it makes no sense.

I don't think it needs to hit you square in the chest. One in the ribs near the heart is probably just as dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20787572/julio-mendez-injured-milwaukee-brewers-minor-leaguer-moved-venezuelan-hospital

Mendez was moved to a hospital in his home country of Venezuela. No change in his condition.

The fact that they allowed him to move a couple thousand miles to a place where I can't believe he would be getting anywhere near as good of medical treatment seems at least not discouraging. Or, the writing's on the wall.

Maybe Venezuelan health care is really good. I don't know one way or the other, but it's a good-sized country with well-developed institutions (political chaos notwithstanding). I would imagine he has family who would like him close, and presumably there's no great danger at this point in moving him. It makes sense to me that they would bring him home.

Man, I hope he comes through this and can live a good life.

Archived