Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Class A Short-Season

Crash2303
Not sure if there has ever been much talk to this, but is it time that the Brewers start a Class A Short-Season team either in the NY Penn or Northwest League? for those unfamiliar, its sort of a R++ between advanced rookie ball and full season A ball. Afterall, 22 other teams have one. I was doing an early projection of the minor league rosters next season and was struck that in the last two year seasons we've added well over 30 non-drafted players in our two rookie leagues from non-drafted FAs, DSL signings, & trades. considering the bumps coming from the DSL next year, I think it is realistic to project both the rookie level rosters to be beyond the 35 active players (max) next season BEFORE the amateur draft. obviously players will be released as they are each year to make room for the new draft picks, but we would need to release the equivalent of a full rookie team to do that! Perhaps its time the Brewers join the ranks and add another short-season team to their affiliates (or even a split squad- can they do that?). In addition to providing room for all the extra players, it may also be beneficial to guys who might not be totally ready for A ball, but are beyond R+, (although debatable) think this year's Orimoloye, Hairston, Lara, Lutz or two seasons ago- Gatewood & Harrison. I know a certain stadium in Madison that i think would be cool to host them- though i do love that Northwoods league.

Was it just this year that the Brewers added part of another minor league squad having a 2nd DSL team with the Indians? It will be interesting to see if they create a 2nd DSL team of their own or maybe a fourth rookie-league team could be part of the discussion regarding a future spring training home similar to how the Tigers, Yankees, and Padres do it. I would think that could generate some extra revenue.

Yes, the Brewers added their shared DSL team this year. I believe the intent is to have that become a full-fledged 2nd Brewers DSL club as soon as next season. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear about the Brewers investing some money is DSL infrastructure.

As Jim noted in the thread he linked above, the Brewers do not have the leeway to add another full-season affiliate as far as I am aware. However, something they could consider is a loan program with a Mexican League team to stash some extra A/AA/AAA depth. The Brewers haven't done this for quite some time (25+ years?) and I am not sure what current MLB rules are on this, but it is something to think about.

I do think they are on the path of adding at least one more stateside short-season team at some point, whether in 2018 or 2020. Or sooner, if they choose to double up in the AZL as the Padres did this year.

Archived