Brewer Fanatic

2018 Outfield

pacopete4
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arcia is kind of in the same boat. If you're going to call up Miller, which they should, playing Arcia sparingly here doesn't make much sense. Let him work on things in AAA.

I think that Sogard will be sent down when Miller is deemed ready, and Arcia will be sent down when Saladino is healthy.

Santana should definitely be optioned ASAP though. Doesn't contribute to the major league club at all, and that's not going to change with him on the bench.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Sorry no good is coming with Santana on the bench.

Not to sound snarky, but there wasn't a lot good coming out of playing him regularly, either.

I agree with the idea to send him to Colorado Springs ASAP. Hopefully he can rediscover his power stroke hitting at altitude. His defense has been noticeably better this year, but he's never going to be a good enough defender to justify mediocre offensive production. If he can't hit for power, he really has no value.

Arcia is kind of in the same boat. If you're going to call up Miller, which they should, playing Arcia sparingly here doesn't make much sense. Let him work on things in AAA.

I think that Sogard will be sent down when Miller is deemed ready, and Arcia will be sent down when Saladino is healthy.

Santana should definitely be optioned ASAP though. Doesn't contribute to the major league club at all, and that's not going to change with him on the bench.

Ditto on above.

Santana, no reason to wait. Get him going now, so that he is back on track for later in the year.

I like the idea of a Arcia/Saladino available for defensive subbing and double-switch for when Miller/Perez are playing SS.

Saladino is out for a while. As far as Santana goes, he's sat a few days and my guess is he'll get an opportunity to start a few games in the near future. Going to AAA isn't always the answer to everything. Besides, what's the difference if Santana is sitting on the bench rather than someone else? I don't think they've given up on Santana yet, we're not even half way through the season.

No lefties for the Cards for Santana when Braun is out either. As much as the team is struggling on O you can't afford to sit the 4 guys who look best so Santana is the odd man out for now. Once Braun is back I'd be fine with Santana going down for a bit and try to get some rhythm so he can step in and do well when another injury happens.

Saladino is out for a while. As far as Santana goes, he's sat a few days and my guess is he'll get an opportunity to start a few games in the near future. Going to AAA isn't always the answer to everything. Besides, what's the difference if Santana is sitting on the bench rather than someone else? I don't think they've given up on Santana yet, we're not even half way through the season.

I don't think Saladino is going to be out for an insanely long amount of time. It's a sprained ankle and he's already missed 3 weeks. Even if it's a high ankle sprain or just a really bad ankle sprain, I can't imagine him missing more than a couple more weeks.

I like the idea of targeting a SS now, and then having depth when Saladino comes back. I'm honestly a bit surprised we aren't giving Dylan Moore a look. In fairness, all I see are stat lines and haven't heard a peep about him up until this year...but the numbers certainly look good. Maybe he's this years Sogard at SS. I'd rather take a chance on an unknown like him than bring up Miller to play SS regularly.

I don't think Saladino is going to be out for an insanely long amount of time. It's a sprained ankle and he's already missed 3 weeks. Even if it's a high ankle sprain or just a really bad ankle sprain, I can't imagine him missing more than a couple more weeks.

I like the idea of targeting a SS now, and then having depth when Saladino comes back. I'm honestly a bit surprised we aren't giving Dylan Moore a look. In fairness, all I see are stat lines and haven't heard a peep about him up until this year...but the numbers certainly look good. Maybe he's this years Sogard at SS. I'd rather take a chance on an unknown like him than bring up Miller to play SS regularly.

Jake Hager's numbers are even better than Moore, doubt we'll ever see either one though.

I would hope no one has "given up" on Santana. Just think he is a better starter than a bench player and want him to get regular AB's. The situation may resolve itself soon though, what's with Thames playing RF? Showcasing?

I would hope no one has "given up" on Santana. Just think he is a better starter than a bench player and want him to get regular AB's. The situation may resolve itself soon though, what's with Thames playing RF? Showcasing?

Thames is playing RF to get him and Aguilar both in the lineup. Santana does need regular atbats, that's why AAA is a good option for him. That way, he'll be ready if/when we need someone for regular playing time.

How do we know he needs regular ABs? He's not a rookie anymore. Maybe they want him in Milwaukee, working on things in the cage, etc., have a few days off and then play him again. I'm sure if they believed sending him to CS would help they would have done it already. Personally, I think they're playing both Thames and Santana in RF to see which one will win the Gold Glove.

• 1 month later...
it was obvious that the brewers viewed brett phillips as their #1 guy to replace an injured outfielder. will be interesting now to see who gets the call if any position player goes down with an injury: keon broxton or domingo santana.

it was obvious that the brewers viewed brett phillips as their #1 guy to replace an injured outfielder. will be interesting now to see who gets the call if any position player goes down with an injury: keon broxton or domingo santana.

I'm sure the Brewers WANT it to be Santana, but that will only happen if he shows that he has regained his lost power. The lineup loses sooo much power when facing LHP that I'm sure they'd love to get 2017 Santana back in vs. LHP.

I think both guys will be up September 1.

I even think if the Brewers make the playoffs, both guys could make the post season roster.

You can get by with an 11 man pitching staff. 4 starters and 7 relievers.

Broxton would be a PR and/or defensive sub for Thames.

Santana could be another right handed power bat off the bench with Braun.

I even think if the Brewers make the playoffs, both guys could make the post season roster.

Is the roster rule still in place that, in order to make the playoff roster (with the exception being as an injury replacement), you have to have been on the 25-man on 8/31 or earlier?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is the roster rule still in place that, in order to make the playoff roster (with the exception being as an injury replacement), you have to have been on the 25-man on 8/31 or earlier?

I thought it was 40 man on 8/31 or earlier.

See below for full definition, but even Jimmy would be eligible if they make it (and they want to use him)

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-eligibility

Postseason Eligibility

Definition

Per Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement, players must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible for postseason play.

Players must be on the 40-man roster, the 60-day disabled list or the bereavement/family medical emergency list as of midnight ET on Aug. 31 to be eligible for their respective clubs' postseason rosters. Consequently, players that are acquired via September trades or signed as free agents in September are ineligible for postseason play.

Clubs can petition the Commissioner's Office to add any player that was not on the 40-man roster as of Aug. 31 -- provided the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing a player who has spent at least 60 days on the 60-day disabled list. The Royals were able to use this tactic to add Brandon Finnegan to their roster during the 2014 postseason, despite the fact that Finnegan was not on the 40-man roster as of Aug. 31.

Additionally, all players who have served part of a suspension for performance-enhancing drugs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.

See below for full definition, but even Jimmy would be eligible if they make it (and they want to use him)

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-eligibility

Postseason Eligibility

Definition

Per Major League Baseball's collective bargaining agreement, players must meet certain criteria in order to be eligible for postseason play.

Players must be on the 40-man roster, the 60-day disabled list or the bereavement/family medical emergency list as of midnight ET on Aug. 31 to be eligible for their respective clubs' postseason rosters. Consequently, players that are acquired via September trades or signed as free agents in September are ineligible for postseason play.

Clubs can petition the Commissioner's Office to add any player that was not on the 40-man roster as of Aug. 31 -- provided the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing a player who has spent at least 60 days on the 60-day disabled list.

Additionally, all players who have served part of a suspension for performance-enhancing drugs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.

quintin berry has an opt-out on 28 august if he's told he won't be placed on the brewers' 40-man roster.

it's quite possible that berry plays into the brewers' 2018 outfield plans.

I thought it was 40 man on 8/31 or earlier.

Oof. Thanks BHS & long ball!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived