Brewer Fanatic

2018 Outfield

pacopete4
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering they were 10th in the NL in runs last year and 11th this year, I’d say the OF has not paid dividends.

Braun has actually been our best OF so far with Yelich hurt and Cain looking just old. Yikes.

Considering they were 10th in the NL in runs last year and 11th this year, I’d say the OF has not paid dividends.

Braun has actually been our best OF so far with Yelich hurt and Cain looking just old. Yikes.

Cain has been fine. Some great stretches and some rough ones. Not sure what you were expecting if you think he's just looked old.

I agree with Cain looking old not because of production. He has been fine. I am a little concerned his stride, though. He seems to go hands-on-knees a lot and generally grimace while running the bases and even the OF. Maybe just dinged up, but still. He does not LOOK durable to me right now, and while that's totally subjective, it's more troubling than his numbers.

I agree with Cain looking old not because of production. He has been fine. I am a little concerned his stride, though. He seems to go hands-on-knees a lot and generally grimace while running the bases and even the OF. Maybe just dinged up, but still. He does not LOOK durable to me right now, and while that's totally subjective, it's more troubling than his numbers.

I’ve noticed those expressions and grimaces as well. To this point I haven’t been able to decipher if he is legitimately “banged up” or if it is more so just a personality characteristic.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Hope it is just something he does. Thames did the same thing last year at various points, and then we found out about his leg issues.

Speaking of Thames, he looks much better to me this year. If Cain or Santana need a day or two, having him play the OF once or twice would not be awful (much as he doesn't belong there long-term), especially with Aguilar deserving ABs.

Having this OF depth plus Thames/Aguilar has been fantastic so far. With the looming return of Yelich, wonder if Braun will continue to get pretty much all starts at 1B vs LHP? Feels like it's been forever since he played there.

I'm guessing yes. He hasn't been simply because the injuries have kept him in the OF so the easy choice has just been to play Aguilar against lefties.

Agreed the OF depth has been great, but they obviously need to be better, too. They really have missed Yelcich and aside from him it's pretty much been a replacement level bunch so far.

Braun is the only healthy outfielder we have. :laughing

Not anymore... you must have jinxed him.

It was eventual. But I don’t think some back tightness is too big of a deal.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun is the only healthy outfielder we have. :laughing

Not anymore... you must have jinxed him.

It was eventual. But I don’t think some back tightness is too big of a deal.

It's Braun. He'll sit the next 3 days. Say he's fine, play a game, and then hit the DL for a month. That's how his injuries go.

When someone’s on the DL, the other guys need to play kore, even through a couple small injuries. Especially since they can disperse the rest when the DLd player gets back.

Get Braun in today then rest him tomorrow if Yelich returns. If he can’t by tomorrow, DL Braun for Phillips/Broxton. The point of depth was not to have a wasted OF slot to guys like Perez

That’s why it was a waste for like 24 posters to put their personal breakdown of playing time between 1B/OF- you knew there’d be days with other guys in there

• 3 weeks later...
of note: well beyond 20 days have passed since keon broxton was optioned. broxton has burned his final option. he still can be recalled and optioned back and forth in 2018, but he must stay optioned for at least 10 days unless replacing an injured player.

• 1 month later...

i'm wondering if the brewers are seriously considering optioning domingo santana to make room for eric thames and starting him in left field when ryan braun is given the day off.

i'm predicting ji-man choi optioned for brandon woodruff today; woodruff optioned for thames tomorrow, and freddy peralta (or zach davies) for santana when a fifth starter is needed again 19 june in pittsburgh.

i wouldn't expect santana to be optioned for long (less than 20 days to preserve his final option), but given that the brewers have already optioned a struggling orlando arcia, i wouldn't be surprised to see santana sent down to work on his hitting.

of course, this means that the back-up outfielders are thames, hernan perez and eric sogard . . .

• 2 weeks later...

the brewers are giving assurances that domingo santana won't be optioned.

if the club is going to carry ryan braun, eric thames and jesus aguilar, and try to keep their bullpen from being overworked, i find that hard to believe.

were travis shaw 100%, and thus, not needing hernan perez to fill in, i bet that the club would have already optioned santana.

Santana needs to be playing as much as possible, in Milwaukee or CS. Since he's the odd man out, send him down. Hopefully, he can go to CS and put up some video game stats and at least regain some trade value.

Archived