Brewer Fanatic

2018 Outfield

pacopete4

Sounds like Cain is day to day and may play today.

And don't see this happening in any situation other than an emergency (Not McAlvy):

If Cain were to miss any significant time, Domingo Santana could take over for him in center, with Phillips and Hernan Perez as other potential options.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/lorenzo-cain-injured-exits-game-vs-cardinals/c-271563360

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

And don't see this happening in any situation other than an emergency (Not McAlvy):

If Cain were to miss any significant time, Domingo Santana could take over for him in center, with Phillips and Hernan Perez as other potential options.

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/lorenzo-cain-injured-exits-game-vs-cardinals/c-271563360

I think Santana saw some CF time with the Brewers in 2016, but yeah, you don't want him out there unless it's a last resort.

I think Santana saw some CF time with the Brewers in 2016, but yeah, you don't want him out there unless it's a last resort.

There’s no way that report is accurate. If Cain misses enough time to be on the DL, Phillips would stay up and play CF, with Yelich playing there upon his return shortly

Brinson has been brutal and was brutal for us last season.

I know it's extremely early in his career and he could still turn it around and be a very good player. Or he could end up being roster fodder that floats around the league to whichever team is willing to give him a shot next. It happens.

Either way, it does seem that the front office figured that it was either going to be now or never this last off-season for trading Brinson; either you give him the job in CF or unload him while his value was still high. They got Yelich for his value and its hard to argue with that.

Yes you could argue that they could have gotten Gray for him, I'd rather have Yelich and his control. It isn't even worth arguing that they could have had Quintana because Eloy Jimenez is and was then worth much more than Brinson. It would have taken some major secondary pieces and even then the White Sox still may have preferred the Cubs' offer.

In Lewis Brinson's first 50 at bats with the Marlins, he's hitting .140 with a .189 OBP, .329 OPS

Which also means he's "slugging" .140, as all 7 of his hits are singles. He's also fanned 17 times in 50 ABs. That's a rate you can live with for big time power, but he hasn't shown any so far.

I know it's extremely early in his career and he could still turn it around and be a very good player. Or he could end up being roster fodder that floats around the league to whichever team is willing to give him a shot next. It happens.

Either way, it does seem that the front office figured that it was either going to be now or never this last off-season for trading Brinson; either you give him the job in CF or unload him while his value was still high. They got Yelich for his value and its hard to argue with that.

Yes you could argue that they could have gotten Gray for him, I'd rather have Yelich and his control. It isn't even worth arguing that they could have had Quintana because Eloy Jimenez is and was then worth much more than Brinson. It would have taken some major secondary pieces and even then the White Sox still may have preferred the Cubs' offer.

This is a fair assessment and I would like to add in the injury concerns had to be scary for the Brewers. The guy is young and had trouble staying on the field. Getting Yelich for him (plus others) could turn out to be a really good deal in the end.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

adambr2, I agree strongly that I'd rather have Yelich than Gray. There's no telling whether Gray will be an effective pitcher moving forwards or if he'll be an "ace". To be able to have Yelich for 5 years was a tremendous way to leverage Brinson & others prospect rankings
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

This is a fair assessment and I would like to add in the injury concerns had to be scary for the Brewers. The guy is young and had trouble staying on the field. Getting Yelich for him (plus others) could turn out to be a really good deal in the end.

Yes, absolutely. I hate to put an injury prone label on anyone so early in their career but those concerns are certainly there with Brinson.

I know people hated the idea of using Brinson for a position of non need and passing on a pitcher but Yelich was a tremendous value add. He only even became available because of unusual circumstance, on most teams with his production and contract he would not have been.

Think of getting Braun in his prime and what it would have taken. Yelich is not quite that good but close. They couldn't pass it up. Think "best player available" philosophy in a draft, your current needs are not always going to match your needs in a year or two.

I sort of disagree with Yelich not being a need. They needed better all-around players who can hit at the top of the order and who are young on team-friendly deals, and they needed to move Braun to 1B at least part time in order to salvage him as a potential asset for a few more years. Yelich was the best option available in all of baseball in the off season. It was a great trade. We're so lucky they saved their assets for when a guy like him became available, and I'm glad they appear to be committed to staying patient now. I wonder if Realmuto becomes available at a reasonable price soon?

I would argue that Yelich is more valuable than Braun in his prime, because (hindsight being 20/20) I doubt it was a secret among MLB GM's that Braun was a steroid user and thus a suspension risk as well as an injury risk if/when testing got stricter. Throw in that Yelich is light years better defensively and a lefty hitter and I would take a 26 year old Yelich over a 26 year old Braun (again looking at the full picture)

I'll be shocked if Yelich from age 28-32 doesn't out produce Braun's age 28-32 seasons

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I sort of disagree with Yelich not being a need. They needed better all-around players who can hit at the top of the order and who are young on team-friendly deals, and they needed to move Braun to 1B at least part time in order to salvage him as a potential asset for a few more years. Yelich was the best option available in all of baseball in the off season. It was a great trade. We're so lucky they saved their assets for when a guy like him became available, and I'm glad they appear to be committed to staying patient now. I wonder if Realmuto becomes available at a reasonable price soon?

Yeah, I'm not even necessarily saying Yelich didn't fill a need. I was more saying we shouldn't be fixated on the mindset of "What are we doing with all these outfielders?"

The issue last year was offense, not pitching (Other than the lack of depth towards the end of the season). So position players were the bigger need over pitching, even if both were needed. One might argue that going big to improve at 2B or C might have been bigger needs than OF, but at the same time there's the matter of who's available. Players like Yelich very rarely get traded, certainly not with 5 cost controlled years remaining in their prime. I don't see how any available pitcher would've "moved the needle" in the same way and for the same amount of time; nor do I think we get any of those pitchers for the Yelich package; it would've taken a top pitching prospect or two. I'm perfectly happy with the Yelich trade, and I'm saying that as someone who has argued a lot to make Brinson the starting CF in 2018, and who still believe he'll be a star.

Anyway, what's interesting is that the weak point so far this year is still offense (Not helped by the injuries to Cain and Yelich), not pitching. Pitching is pretty much league average despite the poor start by parts of the rotation(96 ERA-, 100 FIP-) while offense is worse; 83 wRC+, 20th for runs scored.

Braun from age 28-32 accumulated 17.9 WAR while earning $55+ million dollars. Yelich is vastly more valuable

I'm a fairly big critic of Braun and I love Yelich, but this seems like a cherry pick especially considering Yelich is 26. Move Braun's timeline back 2 years to 26-30 for consistency and you add about 6 WAR to that.

Braun at 26 had 6 years of cheap control remaining and was roughly about as productive overall to that point as Yelich has been so far in his career, and this was just prior to his 2 best years. He would have been immensely valuable in trade at that time.

The issue last year was offense, not pitching (Other than the lack of depth towards the end of the season). So position players were the bigger need over pitching, even if both were needed.

I would argue adding Yelich and Cain had little to do with last year or this year. It's about building the type of team he wants over the next few years. Not directed at you, personally, but I think that's the point a whole lot of people miss when trying to figure out why we have all these OFs this year and "seem" short on starting pitching.

Despite his struggles, Braun is entirely responsible for 2 of the 7 brewer wins this year...he was also raking towards the end of spring training. Relax.

There might be some comments because people want to see him start hitting but I doubt it is a panic. We just need him to be his steady self so this team scores more runs. There is no reason for this offense (when healthy) not to be putting up some serious runs. Just too talented to continue averaging 3 runs a game.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Despite his struggles, Braun is entirely responsible for 2 of the 7 brewer wins this year...he was also raking towards the end of spring training. Relax.

Definitely 1. Possibly 2. Yelich had just tied it in the 2nd one and we have no way of knowing if we would have won or not, and Braun wouldn't have ever come to the plate if Yelich didn't come through too. I'd give 'em both half a win.

Anyone notice that Broxton did not play for CS yesterday? I'm wondering if he's on his way to New York. If Cain's quad is still causing him trouble, we could use another bat. Especially considering our only CF option would be Perez...or Villar. Both are far from ideal fits there.

The issue last year was offense, not pitching (Other than the lack of depth towards the end of the season). So position players were the bigger need over pitching, even if both were needed. One might argue that going big to improve at 2B or C might have been bigger needs than OF, but at the same time there's the matter of who's available. Players like Yelich very rarely get traded, certainly not with 5 cost controlled years remaining in their prime. I don't see how any available pitcher would've "moved the needle" in the same way and for the same amount of time; nor do I think we get any of those pitchers for the Yelich package; it would've taken a top pitching prospect or two. I'm perfectly happy with the Yelich trade, and I'm saying that as someone who has argued a lot to make Brinson the starting CF in 2018, and who still believe he'll be a star.

Anyway, what's interesting is that the weak point so far this year is still offense (Not helped by the injuries to Cain and Yelich), not pitching. Pitching is pretty much league average despite the poor start by parts of the rotation(96 ERA-, 100 FIP-) while offense is worse; 83 wRC+, 20th for runs scored.

It wouldn't be "Yelich vs 2017 offense," but rather "Yelich vs the person he's replacing" relative to "pitcher vs who he's replacing."

Yelich is basically taking PAs from Braun, Thames and Aguilar, so it could be argued that a good pitcher taking starts away from Brent Suter could have been a greater need than Yelich taking PAs away from Braun, Thames and Aguilar.

However, I think FVBrewerFan hit the nail on the head. This was a move to try to mold the team into one that fits Stearns' idea of what the team should look like moving forward. He wants "complete" position players who can play defense and put together "professional" at-bats, while he is willing to put a lot of innings on his bullpen arms.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Domingo Santana may be next in the line of outfield injuries per Adam McCalvy...

@AdamMcCalvy: Add Domingo Santana to the injury issues in the Brewers clubhouse. His right quad/knee was wrapped up and he was moving gingerly around the clubhouse. Said he didn't see Cain wave him off.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Braun is the only healthy outfielder we have. :laughing

Archived