Brewer Fanatic

#3 in 2004

Man, I thought the Brewers were bad, but when you have Dave Hansen playing 1B, you know you're going through some tough times.

As long as we get Jeremy Sowers (LHP-Vanderbilt) next year, I don't care where we pick.

I still think they're a better team than we are, they've just been bit by the injury bug. Nady is coming on big, and their pitching has to get better than this. Thus, I think they'll end up with the better record. I too will never root for the Crew to lose, but I'd rather see us be the worst in the league by 1 game and draft #1 than be one game better than the Pads and be able to say that atleast someone else was worse.

I figure it doesn't really matter whether we're #1 or #3 unless there is a "Kerry Wood/ Jr. Griffey" type consensus #1 pick, but that doesn't happen that oftten. I am probably guessing here (Colby, et al. help me out if I'm wrong), but it's likely that there will be a handful of top picks like last year and this year, where no one really stands out alone, so we'll be guaranteed another high potential selection with 1, 3 or even 5. Heck, we got Sheets with #11 I think, Jones was #12.

I figure it doesn't really matter whether we're #1 or #3 unless there is a "Kerry Wood/ Jr. Griffey" type consensus #1 pick, but that doesn't happen that oftten. I am probably guessing here (Colby, et al. help me out if I'm wrong), but it's likely that there will be a handful of top picks like last year and this year, where no one really stands out alone, so we'll be guaranteed another high potential selection with 1, 3 or even 5. Heck, we got Sheets with #11 I think, Jones was #12.

You're right biedergb, and if you do your homework, you should get a good player no matter where you pick.

Right now, there doesn't appear to be that Ken Griffey/Arod type of can't-miss prospect for next year. Then again, we thought there WAS for this year's draft at this time last year, Lastings Milledge, only to have him fall (rather unfairly IMO). There are some college players that have been identified early that could be impact players at this time next year. Guys like Wes Whisler, Stephen Drew, Justin Verlander & the aforementioned Jeremy Sowers all could be in the running for that #1 selection. However, Whisler struggled a little bit this year, Drew has injury concerns & might fall if he is indeed advised by Boras, and Sowers doesn't have the mid-90s fastball scouts drool over (and allow me to say he doesn't need it, he is very, very polished). I haven't heard a peep about the high schoolers at this point in time, although we will start to hear more about those guys as the summer progresses.

I guess one thought I have on this is that if we're going to be bad-- and obviously we are-- then we should be the worst team in the league. Who cares if you finish in the middle of the pack. Big deal there are lots of neighbors in that neighborhood. Let's have an address all to ourselves to say only our Brewers could be this bad.

"What are you saying, you want us to lose?"

"No, we've been losing. What I want is for us to finish dead last."

Archived