Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Fall League - Erceg, Ray, Gatewood, Harrison; Latest: Four Pitchers Announced

LouisEly
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

After a horrible 1-25 start, Corey Ray is 10 for his last 25. Still only hitting .220, but it's nice to see him get a little bit of spark in the bat. He's cut his strike out rate down to 20%, which is a nice thing to see as well.

All comes with a small sample size.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After a horrible 1-25 start, Corey Ray is 10 for his last 25. Still only hitting .220, but it's nice to see him get a little bit of spark in the bat. He's cut his strike out rate down to 20%, which is a nice thing to see as well.

All comes with a small sample size.

At this point, anything positive regardless of sample size is a step in the right direction.

Houser has been removed from the roster. Looks like he had a solid fall, excited to see what he can do in 2018.

Me too. I think he's a dark horse candidate for an MLB bullpen spot. I wonder, though, if they'd assign him to AAA and stretch him out as a starter? The team doesn't have many pitchers in the system with his type of stuff/make-up. If he does manage to work out and be a contributor, that Gomez/Fiers for Hader/Santana/Phillips/Houser trade goes from great to magical.

I think it was the prospect guru at fangraphs that said recently that he still has legit potential as a starter so hopefully they stretch him out.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Houser has been removed from the roster. Looks like he had a solid fall, excited to see what he can do in 2018.

Me too. I think he's a dark horse candidate for an MLB bullpen spot. I wonder, though, if they'd assign him to AAA and stretch him out as a starter? The team doesn't have many pitchers in the system with his type of stuff/make-up. If he does manage to work out and be a contributor, that Gomez/Fiers for Hader/Santana/Phillips/Houser trade goes from great to magical.

This trade is on the verge of being magical whether Houser does anything or not. Santana has been incredibly productive and projects to continue. Phillips will likely open with the MLB club. Hader will either get a chance to fulfill his ace ceiling or get relegated to Andrew Miller duty, hard to say which route we'll go. That alone makes it a crazy good trade. If Houser ends up helping to fill the 8th spot/shuttle service role between AAA and MLB, I'll be happy. That will give him a chance to get his feet wet against MLB hitters and see how he does. I'd put his ceiling closer to Jacob Barnes than Knebel though.

This trade is on the verge of being magical whether Houser does anything or not. Santana has been incredibly productive and projects to continue. Phillips will likely open with the MLB club. Hader will either get a chance to fulfill his ace ceiling or get relegated to Andrew Miller duty, hard to say which route we'll go. That alone makes it a crazy good trade. If Houser ends up helping to fill the 8th spot/shuttle service role between AAA and MLB, I'll be happy. That will give him a chance to get his feet wet against MLB hitters and see how he does. I'd put his ceiling closer to Jacob Barnes than Knebel though.

And to think none of it would have happened if the Mets didn't get cold feet on Carlos Gomez.

I’m honestly doing a 180 on Hader. I think I like him in that relief role. He was a weapon that way. I bet if we charted his outings he made a huge difference extinguishing problems or bridging us to the late innings where we could have had a disaster.

Maybe if Nelson were healthy keeping Hader in the pen would be a fine idea. But Hader has the chance to be the next Chris Sale, a premier LH starter who first made his mark in the pen on a team and franchise that's almost completely devoid of LH pitching. It's a lot more cost effective to add one or two quality LH relievers than overpay for a FA starter from a crop that's not all that impressive.

Maybe if Nelson were healthy keeping Hader in the pen would be a fine idea. But Hader has the chance to be the next Chris Sale, a premier LH starter who first made his mark in the pen on a team and franchise that's almost completely devoid of LH pitching. It's a lot more cost effective to add one or two quality LH relievers than overpay for a FA starter from a crop that's not all that impressive.

I agree. I would view it as a shame if they never investigated whether Hader could be a dominant starter. It didn't hurt Andrew Miller before he went to this type of multi-inning, multi-batter relief-role. It's a gamble against injury but one we have to take in a market with very few avenues to an ace.

I’m honestly doing a 180 on Hader. I think I like him in that relief role. He was a weapon that way. I bet if we charted his outings he made a huge difference extinguishing problems or bridging us to the late innings where we could have had a disaster.

I think Nelson's injury makes it worth trying Hader in the rotation, especially if the Crew re-signs Swarzak. If Swarzak walks, though, then Hader will be needed in the pen.

If Hader does well, awesome. The Crew has options for the rotation (one of Woodruff/Davies could become trade bait). If he struggles, then move him back to the pen.

I think Nelson's injury makes it worth trying Hader in the rotation, especially if the Crew re-signs Swarzak. If Swarzak walks, though, then Hader will be needed in the pen.

If Hader does well, awesome. The Crew has options for the rotation (one of Woodruff/Davies could become trade bait). If he struggles, then move him back to the pen.

Pry away Brad Hand from the Padres, sign Swarzak, and they'd have one of the top pens in the NL and allow Hader to start instead of overpaying for Arrieta. They can always find a veteran back end rotation guy later on if they need to. Hader initially would be number 3 behind Anderson and Davies but has the potential to be every bit as good as Arrieta this year.

I had to double check to see if I was in the right thread.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261171564/brewers-corey-ray-delivers-clutch-hit-in-afl/?topicid=153494546

Corey Ray has had his ups and downs in this year's Arizona Fall League, but the No. 58 overall prospect looked as good as he has all season on Thursday night as he delivered a clutch game-winning double in the top of the 11th inning to lead Salt River past Scottsdale, 7-6, at Scottsdale Stadium.

It looks like he' 13-39 since his 1-25 start. He was only 1-5 but it sounds like he hit the ball hard in two other ABs. There is only a week left, hopefully he can finish strong.

The main reason Ray is still well-regarded as a prospect is his tools/natural ability. On-field results absolutely need to improve, but there's no way he should be considered a bust. Also hoping he finishes strong, and gets a chance at a healthy offseason to continue developing compared to last year, which he had to spend rehabbing his leg injury.

Looking for big things from Ray next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Harrison is getting a ton of pub this offseason. Looks like a lot of people think he'll really break out in a big way next year (more than he did this year).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Harrison is getting a ton of pub this offseason. Looks like a lot of people think he'll really break out in a big way next year (more than he did this year).

Awesome! All aboard the Harrison hype train! MLB Top 100 prospects here we come!

Teams love that kind of athleticism and potential. Either he becomes a great future OF for the Brewers, or a high-end value piece for a future deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived