Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Fall League - Erceg, Ray, Gatewood, Harrison; Latest: Four Pitchers Announced

LouisEly

Saturday Box Score --

Salt River fell to 2-3 after a 12-1 loss Saturday. Thankfully, no Brewers pitched in the blowout loss.

Monte Harrison led off in RF (1-for-4, two K's). That was one of only two Rafters hits in the game. 3B Lucas Erceg was 0-for-2 (BB, K) and was charged with an error. CF Corey Ray was 0-for-3 (one K), and is off to a 1-for-13 start, and admittedly, it's mostly unfair to point out such a tiny four-game sample, but many of us were hoping he'd have a positive beginning to the fall campaign.

No game on Sunday.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's any stat more useless to determine a players talent it's RBI's. Except for maybe minor league RBI's.

Minor League RBI's are far worse. It's one thing when you're talking about a guy like Carlos Lee who is a productive hitter but also puts the ball in play and doesn't strike out. But a 22 year old prospect? I really don't care how many RBI's he has. I care about him being able to make good contact and drawing walks.

BOX SCORE - Salt River won Thursday 5-1

Corey Ray, playing RF, was 0-for-4. He's now 1-for-25 with his lone hit, a double, coming on Opening Day. Ray K'd looking, did drive in a run with a 4-6 forceout, flew out to left, and grounded softly to the pitcher.

Lucas Erceg, batting 4th, was 1-for-4 (infield single), two K's, 1.031 OPS through six games.

LHP Quintin Torres-Costa tossed two scoreless, hitless innings, but did put three men on --

Glendale Top of the 6th

Pitching Change: Quintin Torres-Costa replaces Zach Jemiola.

Tito Polo strikes out swinging.

Kevin Kramer walks.

Logan Hill strikes out swinging.

Bobby Bradley strikes out swinging.

Glendale Top of the 7th

Cornelius Randolph flies out to center fielder Braxton Lee.

Seby Zavala walks.

Tyler Krieger flies out to right fielder Corey Ray.

Edgar Cabral hit by pitch. Seby Zavala to 2nd.

Danny Mendick grounds out, shortstop Jack Reinheimer to first baseman Brian Mundell.

Surprised how little talk there has been this fall with the prospects we have in AFL.

Houser 2IP 4H 0ER 5K

Perrin 2 hitless and scoreless innings 2BB 0k

Griep 1.1IP 2H 0ER O BB 1K

You kind of forget how good and young Houser was. He is only 24 right now. He worked his way up to September call-up at 22. Been hearing awesome stuff about where he is at! Can't wait to see if he works way back this season to Crew. Would be big power arm in bullpen at least.

No mentioned Ray taking 2nd in a hitting skill contest....absolutely meaningless but hey....its close to a victory with his 2-29 start

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

correction 4 for 36 now....He has gone 2-7 since I last checked stats.

Erceg is crushing .350 with 1.000+ OPS

Harrison hasn't played much but has been impressive when given opportunity

Gatewood 2-22.

Jorge Ortega's return wasn't great recorded 1 out while giving up 4 hits and 3 runs

Do we know why Erceg hasn't played since last Thursday? Seems odd to get a full week off from playing in a game, unless if something was wrong?

No, but he is playing this evening and had a triple in his first at-bat.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Surprised how little talk there has been this fall with the prospects we have in AFL.

No mentioned Ray taking 2nd in a hitting skill contest....absolutely meaningless but hey....its close to a victory with his 2-29 start

Wouldn't be anything new as he always seems to do well in hitting contests and home runs derbys.

Part of that may be on me, as I've taken and plan on continuing to maintain a lower-key online presence for a while.

I will always invite our community's members to post links and such of note within our various threads, please don't rely on just yours truly.

The guys at Miller Park Prospects are doing a great job with daily recaps in a combined post on AFL and winter league players.

The easiest way to catch up on all things "Miller Park Prospects" is to read their latest article (like this Mailbag), and then at the bottom of the article, scroll to the left to read additional articles/posts until you've caught up.

But absolutely everyone continue to keep the conversation going in any number of threads on this forum, always worthwhile banter, thanks!

Disappointed to see how sporadically our guys are playing, I'm going to be really bummed if I don't get to see all four hitters when I'm out there in a couple of weeks. My concern level for Ray is also rising rapidly, hopefully he's starting to heat up and can finish strong.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Erceg seems to alway rise up to competition. Look what he is doing right now in AFL.... what he did in ST last season... and his short time at AAA. Carolina was tough for most hitters but excited to see what he does in better hitters League at Biloxi. Much more neutral of a league.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I getting excited to think we have a legit 3rd base prospect

I was on that bandwagon last year. :) Kind of ironic that we just find a legit 3B at the MLB level at the same time we find one at the MiLB level after years of futility in that search.

Archived