Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Fall League - Erceg, Ray, Gatewood, Harrison; Latest: Four Pitchers Announced

LouisEly
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've been pretty careful already with Williams' innings, not sure what their plan is for him this fall/winter but AFL seems like it might be too much.

Bickford seems like a near-certainty. I'll go with Ortiz, QTC, and Derby for the other 3 slots.

Williams could be an option on the MLB roster in September. They could easily control his innings while getting some big league experience under his belt. He's already burned his option and the service time argument has never really swayed me. Plus you know, he could help the bullpen. Which is the same reason I'm in favor of calling up Freddy Peralta now.

I'll go with Bickford, either Barker or Hanhold, Houser (he'd just have to be activated from the DL at the end of the season), and they always seem to send a random reliever, so Archer, Torres-Costa, or Ramirez (if they re-sign him/add him to the 40-man).

They could actually send more than four pitchers and use Bickford as a "taxi squad" guy, assuming they want him to start. He'd only be eligible to play two games per week, but if he's starting that's all he'd be pitching anyway.

I'm going with Bickford, Perrin (about 50 innings behind last year), Ortiz (right now same innings as last year, would like to add 20-25 more), and one of Houser/QTC.

Houser went three innings in his last start, not sure if he's far enough along or if the Brewers would prefer to monitor him and his rehab in fall instructionals.

Houser would need medical clearance and be "unrestricted" before he'd be allowed in the AFL and he's currently at a 45-pitch limit. That being said, there are still five weeks before the AFL season begins, so that is five weeks of rehab for Houser. I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect him to be able to go 75-85 pitches by the end of that timeframe. 75 pitches is probably unrestricted enough for the AFL. Bickford has already been cleared and he's currently at 60 pitches.

The Brewers also may not want to push him that far, but as a 40-man guy who has already burned two options, I'd think they would want him to face better competition than instructionals. We'll see.

Houser was in the majors at age 22, and the Brewers sent him to the AFL after that 2015 season, so I think they already have a decent idea of how he would fare against AFL competition. The only question is rehab and being medically ready.

Some 3B? Every game at AA he's played 3B (16 games), except for one game as DH. I wouldn't call that "some" 3B.

He's played 80 games at 1B this year, 30 at 3B. I would call that 'some'.

He played 1B at Carolina because Erceg is really only a 3B.

He plays 3B at Biloxi because DeMuth is really only a 1B.

He's clearly capable of playing both, regardless of how many games he's played at either spot this season. Stearns values positional flexibility, I'd be very surprised if as an organization they didn't consider Gatewood equally capable of playing 1B/3B at this point.

Gatewood's long term home is pretty clearly first base, IMO. He plays really good to outstanding defense there. At third, his arm is above average but he has limited range that will not get better as he fills out his gigantic frame.

Erceg is the more athletic of the two, played some shortstop in instructs, and could probably handle second if given adequate time there. I think he absolutely sticks at third. Good range, superlative arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Via Adam McCalvy (and other online confirmations) --

"Milwaukee rounded out its Arizona Fall League participants with RHP's Adrian Houser, Nate Griep, Jon Perrin and LHP Quintin Torres-Costa. For Houser, it's an opportunity to compile innings, as the former Top 30 prospect continues his comeback from Tommy John surgery.

The Brewers had previously named four position players to the prospect-rich league: outfielders Monte Harrison and Corey Ray and infielders Lucas Erceg and Jake Gatewood."

It will be interesting to see post-surgery Houser against better competition. I got to see him the last game of the season when the Bandits were in the Quad Cities, and he was just dominating guys. Almost every pitch was a strike, and it seemed like he was saying "Why mess around when I know you can't hit me."

Going to be heading out to Phoenix on a long weekend with my wife and am going to catch a couple of games. Hopefully The Brewers farmhands get some quality PT when I'm there.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Any idea if any of these games will be on TV?

Really hoping Ray takes a step forward with his hitting this fall.

There are usually a few games that get televised. The all star game and the championship game are televised and I believe the one on Veterans day is usually televised.

• 3 weeks later...

Law on Houser, Ray and Erceg.

Right-hander Adrian Houser went to Milwaukee in 2015 in the Carlos Gomez/Mike Fiers trade, debuted for the Brewers that fall, and then blew out his elbow early the next year, returning late this summer for a few rehab outings. I'd say he's back, and maybe better than before. Houser was 92-95 on Thursday night with a big, tight curveball mostly at 82-83, and his body is slimmer than it was before the surgery. He didn't use a third pitch, although he did have a mid-80s changeup back in 2015.

Brewers outfielder Corey Ray has also struggled in the early going, although he's still a good athlete with quick actions and is even playing better defense in centerfield. Ray has had good at-bats without good outcomes, and he's not making any hard contact so far -- even when he got a green light on 3-0 on Thursday night and got a fastball, all he could do was tap it to second base. Ray used to hit with a short stride and toe-tap, but that's gone now, and I think it's at least one reason for the absence of any power in his swing.

Milwaukee third baseman Lucas Erceg has shown a little more promise, including a 70 arm at third, with hard contact but very short at-bats. I did see him double off a lefty on a curveball moving away from him, and he doubled the other way off a right-hander's 97 MPH fastball, but also punched out twice on breaking balls below the zone, and hasn't shown the selectivity he's going to need just to get pitches he can crush. He may never be a high-walk guy, but he can do so much damage on contact if he's a little more disciplined.

VIDEO: Corey Ray CF catch on Thursday

Friday's Box Score:

Lucas Erceg 1-for-4 as the DH (see two-run double here); 1B Jake Gatewood 0-for-4, two K's.

RHP Nate Griep's inning in the 6-4 win --

Scottsdale Bottom of the 7th

Pitching Change: Nate Griep replaces Kirby Bellow.

Brantley Bell strikes out swinging.

Chad Tromp singles on a ground ball to left fielder Anthony Santander.

Kevin Kaczmarski grounds into a force out, third baseman Ryan Mountcastle to second baseman Steve Wilkerson. Chad Tromp out at 2nd. Kevin Kaczmarski to 1st.

Blake Trahan strikes out on a foul tip.

Right-hander Adrian Houser went to Milwaukee in 2015 in the Carlos Gomez/Mike Fiers trade, debuted for the Brewers that fall, and then blew out his elbow early the next year, returning late this summer for a few rehab outings. I'd say he's back, and maybe better than before. Houser was 92-95 on Thursday night with a big, tight curveball mostly at 82-83, and his body is slimmer than it was before the surgery. He didn't use a third pitch, although he did have a mid-80s changeup back in 2015.

Brewers outfielder Corey Ray has also struggled in the early going, although he's still a good athlete with quick actions and is even playing better defense in centerfield. Ray has had good at-bats without good outcomes, and he's not making any hard contact so far -- even when he got a green light on 3-0 on Thursday night and got a fastball, all he could do was tap it to second base. Ray used to hit with a short stride and toe-tap, but that's gone now, and I think it's at least one reason for the absence of any power in his swing.

Milwaukee third baseman Lucas Erceg has shown a little more promise, including a 70 arm at third, with hard contact but very short at-bats. I did see him double off a lefty on a curveball moving away from him, and he doubled the other way off a right-hander's 97 MPH fastball, but also punched out twice on breaking balls below the zone, and hasn't shown the selectivity he's going to need just to get pitches he can crush. He may never be a high-walk guy, but he can do so much damage on contact if he's a little more disciplined.

I'm not all that concerned about Erceg's "short ABs". He drove in 81 runs batting .256 overall this year. In 2016 he drove in 51 in 272 ABs. He's got a run producing mentality and avoids high K numbers by putting the ball in play. His future is hitting 5th or 6th in a lineup. He'll learn over time to lay off pitches in the dirt.

I'm not all that concerned about Erceg's "short ABs". He drove in 81 runs batting .256 overall this year. In 2016 he drove in 51 in 272 ABs. He's got a run producing mentality and avoids high K numbers by putting the ball in play. His future is hitting 5th or 6th in a lineup. He'll learn over time to lay off pitches in the dirt.

If there's any stat more useless to determine a players talent it's RBI's. Except for maybe minor league RBI's.

Archived