Brewer Fanatic

aaron brooks claimed; espino dfa'd

djoctagone

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Curious move. Stat-wise, I can't see anything interesting about this guy. High WHIP, low K rate, high ERA. Even going back in time, his best year was about 3.7 ERA. MLB level has been a nightmare, yet he keeps getting SP chances. The scouts must be seeing something that the stats don't tell... (I hope).

Probably just looking for a playoff arm since a number of guys could be called up.
I really have to wonder how a guy with a career ERA over 8 is 40 man worthy.

Limited upside, but younger than Paolo Espino. For now he fills out the AAA rotation, possibly with a chance as a swing/long man in the future. Several other Brewer pitchers have added a few ticks to their fastballs, and if Brooks can do that too, who knows? There may be something there.

agree with dacbrewers. brooks is out of options next year, and having him available for a postseason run for colorado springs allows the brewers to recall any of junior guerra, taylor jungmann or brandon woodruff right away on 1 september to start or be available as a long man.

brooks isn't going to be the swing/long man in the remaining future of the 2017 major league brewers. he's just a guy to replace aaa depth for the next few weeks.

Probably just looking for a playoff arm since a number of guys could be called up.

Could they not just bring up Wilkerson and Perrin from Biloxi if they just needed some starting arms? They don't have too many innings on their arms yet.

Trash in, trash out. Seems like a totally pointless lateral move but Espino is gone so I guess that's good.

That is what the last few spots on the 40 man are at this stage. That might not be the case soon but for now the last few spots on the 40 man are not really major league caliber now and not very likely to be so in the future. Might as well turn it over a lot to see if someone steps up. I liked the Espino story. I was quite happy he got his cup of coffee. But he isn't someone who is ever going to be useful to a competitive club. Chances are neither will Brooks but it doesn't hurt to look.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'd rather try our own prospects than someone else's castaway. Why not Angel Ventura or Wilkerson?

Because Brooks most likely isn't going to pitch at the MLB level anyway. Ventura and Wilkerson are already in our system. If you promote them to the 40 they have to stay there, unless you want to risk losing them.

I'd rather try our own prospects than someone else's castaway. Why not Angel Ventura or Wilkerson?

Most likely he was brought in as a AAA fodder to keep some quality arms there if/when we call up others. CS is headed for the playoffs, so probably a short term AAA move. I doubt he remains on the 40-man after the season and Ventura or Wilkerson can be added then.

[sarcasm]I have to say that I loved Aaron Brooks as a Packer, though. He had the arm to pitch, but not the accuracy.[/sarcasm]

Espino was terrible. Good story or not, he didn't belong.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Espino to Texas for cash

Unbelievably, that's more than they got for Scooter.

Tells ya something doesn't it?!?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Espino to Texas for cash

the brewers got $50,000 from the reds when scooter gennett was claimed.

do you have confirmation on the amount of money that the rangers are paying the brewers for paolo espino?

I'm glad he got traded. It is a good story that I hope continues. Just not here. He might be able to carve out a little niche as a frange major leaguer moving around to rebuilding teams as a stop gap but I hope we are beyond that stage for a while.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Espino to Texas for cash

Well, they got basically $2.5M for scooter by not paying his salary. Take out the minimum salary rate of his replacement, and the brewers in essence got ~$2M for Scooter. So no, they got more for Scooter by getting the Reds to take on his contract. Had he gone unclaimed and we had to pay his salary while he played somewhere, then your statement would have been correct.

Espino to Texas for cash

If there was a contest to see how many different threads you could bring up Gennett in that have nothing to do with Gennett, I assure you, you'd be winning it, hands down.

Espino to Texas for cash

If there was a contest to see how many different threads you could bring up Gennett in that have nothing to do with Gennett, I assure you, you'd be winning it, hands down.

He also won the Khris Davis contest last year.

Espino to Texas for cash

I was curious why Gennett KEPT coming up time after time in totally unrelated threads. He would have been great to have in hindsight, but with Villar/Arcia and Perez coming into the season he didn't look like a longterm solution anywhere and he really hasn't looked like one since the break where he's come back down to Earth.

Archived