Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Player of the Year Candidates

Greenleaf1

Pitcher of the Year is probably easier than it's ever been with Corbin Burnes, so figured I'd just ask people who they think is a contender for Player of the Year.

Unless I'm forgetting someone somewhere, these seem like the most likely candidates:

1. Lewis Brinson: .331/.400/.562, 13 HR, 66 R, 48 RBI, 62/32 K/BB, 11-for-16 SB in 76 games

2. Brett Phillips: .311/.381/.587, 19 HR, 78 R, 76 RBI, 117/42 K/BB, 9-for-10 SB in 99 games

Cooper probably would've been a strong candidate to win this award if he was still around.

Monte Harrison, Jake Gatewood, and hell even Ivan De Jesus, Jr. have had solid seasons, but the numbers from Brinson/Phillips are just a step above everyone else.

If Brinson's season was more full in the minors, he'd be a shoe-in for this award given the fact that this award is usually a little more political in nature (it's going to take an amazing season, like Burnes', to give this award to someone who isn't a top prospect. All things being close to equal, the higher ranked prospect is going to get these awards).

However, with the injuries and call ups limiting his number of games, I think there's a solid chance that Phillips steals this award away from him.

What are everyone's thoughts? If you told me last year that Phillips would have a great chance at being our Minor League Player of the Year in 2017, I'd be ecstatic.

If Phillips finishes strong, and since Brinson won't be playing any more minor league games this year, I'd give the edge to Phillips.

I think you nailed it - Burnes as Pitcher of the Year, but Wilkerson is in the conversation as he did it a whole season at AA where Burnes was there only part of the season.

Brinson's injury likely gives Phillips time to rack up more extra base hits to win it.

I think you nailed it - Burnes as Pitcher of the Year, but Wilkerson is in the conversation as he did it a whole season at AA where Burnes was there only part of the season.

Brinson's injury likely gives Phillips time to rack up more extra base hits to win it.

I would toss Freddy Peralta's name out there too.

These awards typically go to prospect types, rather than those who most would consider organizational filler. That's why I think Burnes is probably a shoo-in for Pitcher of the Year. Otherwise Wilkerson or Jungmann or even Scahill would be in the running.

As for Player of the Year, Monte Harrison is an exciting player who is putting things together this year. I think it goes to either him or Phillips, although Gatewood, Gideon, Brinson and even Dubon should be in the running. I just hope whoever wins it doesn't follow it up like Isan Diaz has.

For what it's worth, looking at previous winners of these awards is not the most inspiring.

Player of the Year:

2016 - Isan Diaz

2015 - Orlando Arcia

2014 - Clint Coulter

2013 - Jason Rogers

2012 - Hunter Morris

Pitcher of the Year:

2016 - Brandon Woodruff

2015 - Jorge Lopez

2014 - Jimmy Nelson

2013 - Johnny Hellweg

2012 - Hiram Burgos

Players on these lists seem just as likely to crash and burn as they are to succeed at the Major League level.

For what it's worth, looking at previous winners of these awards is not the most inspiring.

Player of the Year:

2016 - Isan Diaz

2015 - Orlando Arcia

2014 - Clint Coulter

2013 - Jason Rogers

2012 - Hunter Morris

Pitcher of the Year:

2016 - Brandon Woodruff

2015 - Jorge Lopez

2014 - Jimmy Nelson

2013 - Johnny Hellweg

2012 - Hiram Burgos

Players on these lists seem just as likely to crash and burn as they are to succeed at the Major League level.

I don't know about that. Diaz is still a Top 100 prospect, Arcia has the look of a long-term star at SS, and Rogers netted some nice pieces in Broxton and Supak in a trade. I'm still holding out some hope for Coulter as well. Morris I suppose belongs in the "What Ever Happened To" file.

As for the pitchers, Woodruff looks to be a long-term rotation piece at the very least, with the potential of a #1-2 down the road. Lopez has scuffled, but has looked better as a reliever, and as this season has proven, you cannot have enough talented bullpen arms. Nelson has been arguably the team's top starter this year. Injuries ruined Hellwig's career. Burgos is still surprisingly kicking around the system.

Player of the Year:

2016 - Isan Diaz

2015 - Orlando Arcia

2014 - Clint Coulter

2013 - Jason Rogers

2012 - Hunter Morris

Pitcher of the Year:

2016 - Brandon Woodruff

2015 - Jorge Lopez

2014 - Jimmy Nelson

2013 - Johnny Hellweg

2012 - Hiram Burgos

I don't know about that. Diaz is still a Top 100 prospect, Arcia has the look of a long-term star at SS, and Rogers netted some nice pieces in Broxton and Supak in a trade. I'm still holding out some hope for Coulter as well. Morris I suppose belongs in the "What Ever Happened To" file.

As for the pitchers, Woodruff looks to be a long-term rotation piece at the very least, with the potential of a #1-2 down the road. Lopez has scuffled, but has looked better as a reliever, and as this season has proven, you cannot have enough talented bullpen arms. Nelson has been arguably the team's top starter this year. Injuries ruined Hellwig's career. Burgos is still surprisingly kicking around the system.

Out of the 10 players on this list, only 4 are either on a big league roster or are still considered a top prospect. Certainly a higher success rate than your average prospect, but not exactly awe inspiring is all I'm saying.

I started this thread, I think these awards are fun, but not exactly surefire proof of future success.

One thing to keep in mind when you look back at the winners from recent years - the Brewers' farm system was regarded as one of the worst until the Gomez/Fiers deal really got them moving.

Now, a kid at the top of this system is a kid every team would want.

I think Brinson or Phillips will win it, but my vote is for Monte Harrison.

That young man has come a very long way this season.

One thing to keep in mind when you look back at the winners from recent years - the Brewers' farm system was regarded as one of the worst until the Gomez/Fiers deal really got them moving.

Now, a kid at the top of this system is a kid every team would want.

I think Brinson or Phillips will win it, but my vote is for Monte Harrison.

That young man has come a very long way this season.

It is pretty impressive that Harrison's stats are pretty much the same since being promoted to Carolina where many have struggled. Also nice to see him healthy a full season. It is close but would probably go Phillips over Harrison

While this is true, it's also of note that some of those winners still put up stellar years, so it doesn't really matter that they beat out the rest of a bad system, they likely would've beat out even our very good system now.

Burgos/Hellweg/Lopez all had years that rival Burnes' this year, and Hunter Morris looked like a future All Star for years before just never living up to that potential.

Point being, one great year in the minors, no matter where it happens, is not a guarantee of Major League success. You can have a terrific year in the upper levels of the minors and still be a total and complete bust at the Major League level.

I guess I didn't meant to turn into the negative nancy of this thread, I love these awards and it's fun to look back at all the great performers this year.

My votes go to Phillips/Burnes, but I would love to see Monte Harrison win some sort of award. He's looking like a really fun player to keep an eye on over the next couple years. I wonder if they start him at A+ next year or bump him up to AA.

Archived