Brewer Fanatic

Nate Orf

Have to say I'm a huge fan of Nate Orf. Undrafted free agent and now is hitting .308/.388 in AAA at 27 years old. Hasn't been an easy road for the guy but he just keeps hitting at every level.

Didn't make varsity as a Soph in High School. Wasn't a huge recruit in terms of the SEC/ACC coming out of high school, went to Illinois Chicago and hit over .400, transferred to Baylor and just kept hitting. The guy has been doubted every step of the way and just kept out producing big name draft picks and bigtime prospects.

Hope he gets a shot in MLB at some point. I think he can help a team

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Have to say I'm a huge fan of Nate Orf. Undrafted free agent and now is hitting .308/.388 in AAA at 27 years old. Hasn't been an easy road for the guy but he just keeps hitting at every level.

Didn't make varsity as a Soph in High School. Wasn't a huge recruit in terms of the SEC/ACC coming out of high school, went to Illinois Chicago and hit over .400, transferred to Baylor and just kept hitting. The guy has been doubted every step of the way and just kept out producing big name draft picks and bigtime prospects.

Orf's success has been greatly aided by Colorado Springs. Here's his AAA numbers the last two years:

2017: .986 OPS at home vs .781 OPS on road

2016: .913 OPS at home vs .559 OPS on road

It doesn't mean he can't contribute to the big league team - I'm just wary of guys like this.

If he could play SS, that would help him immensely. But right now, he seems to do exactly what Hernan Perez does. That's going to limit him opportunities.

Orf has been frequently mentioned in Fangraph's "fringe five" series and it seems to have raised his profile quite a bit. I don't think the Brewers will put him on the 40-man roster but there could be enough good "data" on him where another organization might take him in the Rule V draft (maybe 40-50% chance????). As reillymcshane points out, Orf is helped by Colorado Springs but he is still OPS'ing .781 on the road this year and has extensive experience playing 2B, 3B, LF, RF in the minors and can also play SS and 1B. I don't know if he has a spot in Milwaukee but looks like a pretty decent Rule V possibility for a second division team in need of a utility player.

Orf's success has been greatly aided by Colorado Springs. Here's his AAA numbers the last two years:

2017: .986 OPS at home vs .781 OPS on road

2016: .913 OPS at home vs .559 OPS on road

It doesn't mean he can't contribute to the big league team - I'm just wary of guys like this.

If he could play SS, that would help him immensely. But right now, he seems to do exactly what Hernan Perez does. That's going to limit him opportunities.

Perez has the talent to be a regular at multiple positions. Orf is not comparable but he's a guy that puts the ball in play and is solid defensively at 2B and 3B. His numbers at CS are inflated some but he's been a pesky type hitter at every level. As a 25th guy on a roster, they could do worse.

Archived