Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Saturday 8/19 - Nate Orf's Unique Cycle

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Saturday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Bubba Derby at home vs. Oklahoma City (Dodgers), 6:30 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him again this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Jon Perrin at Jackson (Diamondbacks), 5:45 PM pre-game, 6:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Erik Bremer (@Erik_Bremer) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them. Only games in Chattanooga and Mobile won't be available.

Carolina: RHP Conor Harber at home vs. Frederick (Orioles), 3:45 PM pre-game, 4:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We look forward to Mudcats audio with Greg Young (@gregyoungjr), especially after going without gameday audio for much of the Brewers' stay in Brevard County.

MiLB.TV - Yes, Carolina home games will be on MiLB.TV, sweet. It appears three other Carolina League teams (Salem, Myrtle Beach, and Winston-Salem) broadcast as well.

Wisconsin: RHP Braden Webb at home vs. Quad Cities (Astros), 6:20 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

In 2017, fifteen games will be broadcast on Spectrum Sports in Wisconsin, available on channel 32 and in HD on channel 1332. We'll keep you posted with our "DVR Alerts" days in advance.

Helena: RHP Dylan File at Great Falls (White Sox), 7:40 PM pre-game, 8:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Garrett Greene (@Garrett_Greene) has your H-Crew coverage for 2017

Maryvale: at home vs. the size small White Sox, 7:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Cubs' #2 Squad, 9:30 AM

DSL Brewers/Indians: at home vs. the DSL Pirates, 9:30 AM

For each DSL contest, game data won't be available until later in the day

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men. You can also use that link to differentiate between Brewer and Indians' prospects on the co-op team.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - Linked on the Sky Sox official blog

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Carolina Media Notes - Linked on the Mudcats official blog

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Carolina League Southern Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Pioneer League North Division

Arizona League Central Division

Dominican Summer League San Pedro Division

Dominican Summer League North Division

NOTE: Divisional standings for the two DSL teams point to the same shared page link.

NOTE #2: The Standings Links above will reflect second-half standings for Biloxi, Carolina, and Wisconsin. You can easily then click on "Overall Standings" once you've reached the initial link.

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Carolina

Wisconsin

Helena

Maryvale

DSL Brewers

DSL Brewers/Indians

Weather.com:

Colorado Springs, CO

Jackson, TN

Zebulon, NC

Grand Chute, WI

Great Falls, MT

Maryvale, AZ

Santo Domingo, DR

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Carolina totals season high 17 hits in 9-4 loss to Keys

Harrison, Hummel and McDowell each had three hits in Saturday's home loss

By Carolina Mudcats

16x9_Hummel51717c_5cd699wu_okd1tus8.jpg

Carolina Box Score

That was a weird game. The Mudcats had 17 hits but could only manage four runs as the team went 3-14 with runners in scoring position. Frederick, meanwhile, had three HRs - and took advantage of three Mudcat errors - to score a 9-4 victory over Carolina.

By losing, Carolina missed a chance to get to .500 on the season.

Pitching Summary:

Conor Harber: 5.0 IP, 6 hits, 5 ER, 1BB, 1K, Lose

Trey Supak: 4.0 IP, 3 hits, 2 ER, 1BB, 3K

Hitting Summary:

Monte Harrison: 3-5

Cooper Hummel: 3-5, 2B

Max McDowell: 3-5

Luis Aviles: 2-5, HR

Corey Ray: 2-5, 2 SB

Trent Clark: 2-5, 2B

Carolina Game Log

Carolina gave up runs in five of the nine innings on Saturday.

This 1b/3b Garcia in Helena has some pretty darn good numbers for age 19.

Orf with the cycle!

Jorge Lopez seems to be doing better as a reliever. I wonder if they're totally done with him as a starter.

Monte Harrison really doing a fine job with his midseason promotion.

Demi is really struggling. Remember his hot start? He's young, power is coming along, and he's got a nice OBP to AVG differential.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Colorado Springs 11, Oklahoma City 1

Cycle, Home Run Derby Back Bubba's Gem

Orf hits for first Sox cycle since June 20, 2010, in 11-1 win

By Robby Veronesi / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

cut.jpg

Nate Orf hit for the cycle and the Colorado Springs Sky Sox recorded five home runs to back Bubba Derby's strong performance in the 11-1 series-opening win over the Oklahoma City Dodgers in front of 5,314 at Security Service Field Saturday night.

The Dodgers jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning, but the Sky Sox (73-51) responded two batters into their first at-bats. Kyle Wren drew a leadoff walk and Orf took advantage of a hanging Eddie Gamboa pitch by launching it 401 feet over the left field walk to give the hosts a 2-1 lead.

The Sox hit their second home run the second time through the lineup, extending the lead to 3-1 in the third inning. On a full count, Brett Phillips launched a 396-foot long ball over the right field wall for his 18th home run of the season with two outs.

The hosts broke the game open with a six-run fifth inning. Five straight hits opened the frame, with Chris Colabello opening the scoring with a line-drive single to left field to score Orf. One batter later, Phillips crushed his second home run of the game to right field-a three-run shot to score Ivan De Jesus and Colabello. The multi-homer game was the third of the season for Phillips and the first since May 16 in El Paso.

Tyler Heineman launched his second home run of the season during the ensuing at-bat, increasing the lead to 8-1. The Sox hit back-to-back home runs for the third time in 2017 and first since Mauricio Dubon and Lewis Brinson achieved the feat on July 5 against Nashville.

The home run derby continued in the sixth inning. Colabello greeted OKC reliever Joe Broussard with a leadoff solo shot down the right field line. The opposite-field long ball gave the Sox five home runs, one shy of the team-high six long balls hit July 2 in Omaha.

De Jesus would drive in a run of his own on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Henry Ramos in the seventh inning. Orf scored on the play after hitting a one-out triple for the first Sky Sox cycle since Dexter Fowler achieved the feat on June 20, 2010, against the Las Vegas 51s.

In his first appearance against the Dodgers, Derby (4-0, 3.38 ERA) earned his second straight win by tossing a season-high seven innings of one-run, four-hit ball with seven strikeouts. The seven innings marked a new season-high for the right-hander while his seven strikeouts tied a season-high set July 8 in Round Rock. Wei-Chung Wang finished the game by tossing a pair of scoreless innings, dropping his ERA to 1.96.

With the win, the Sox increase their PCL American Northern Division lead to eight games with 15 games left to play. The win also drops Colorado Springs' magic number to nine as the Sox look to clinch their first playoff berth since 1997.

RHP Junior Guerra (1-2, 3.15 ERA) takes the hill for the Sox during game two of the four-game series. The Colorado Springs right-hander faces PCL strikeout leader and Oklahoma City RHP Wilmer Font (9-7, 3.30 ERA) at 2:30 PM CT.

Sky Sox's Orf hits for cycle after scoring change

Brewers outfielder completes feat with triple in seventh inning, becomes the seventh player in Colorado Springs history to do so.

By Alex Kraft / MiLB.com

Nate Orf had just sat down to eat dinner when his manager, Rick Sweet, walked over to inform him that he'd just made history.

The Brewers outfielder completed the cycle on Saturday night after a postgame scoring decision changed his seventh-inning double a triple in Triple-A Colorado Springs' 11-1 rout of Oklahoma City at Security Service Field. The cycle was the first by a member of the Sky Sox since Dexter Fowler completed one on June 20, 2010.

The play in question began with Orf looping an 0-2 offering from Dodgers right-hander Joe Broussard into the left-field corner. Trayce Thompson misread the carom off the wall, forcing him to chase it down.

"The way our wall plays down there, it kind of hooks around," Orf said. "As an outfielder, it's a tough play because you never know what kind of bounce you're going to get. As I was rounding first and heading to second, I could see he was trying to pick it up off the wall and I saw it go by him. That's when I knew I had the triple."

In the heat of the moment, the Missouri native never even looked at the scoreboard to see what the hit had been scored. When he heard a dissatisfied roar from the Sky Sox's dugout, he had an idea what it read.

"I could see the dugout's reaction, which told me that they ruled it an error," Orf said. "I wasn't too worried about it. I was hoping they would change it and let me complete the cycle for all the work I did toward it, but at the end of the day, I was happy with my night."

The 27-year-old hit a two-run homer to left in the first inning. After popping out in the second, he doubled to right leading off the fourth before singling to left later in the same frame.

"I knew that I needed to get a triple in there and, of course, when I got back to the dugout all the guys were saying, 'You better not stop running for anything,'" he said.

Even without the scoring change, Orf would have matched a season high with his second four-hit game. Although he said he would have been satisfied with that, he was happy the ruling was fixed.

"The way the play played out, I'm glad they ruled it that way," the Baylor product said. "I think that's the right call."

Orf had never cycled at any level before Saturday night. While it was not his favorite accomplishment of the season, he still plans to remember it fondly.

"I had a walk-off homer this year and that was my first walk-off homer," he said. "To me, that was the coolest thing, to win the game for the team on a homer. Most of the stuff that goes down as a team ends up being the memories that last the longest. I just think it will be cool, at the end of my career, to say that I did get a cycle in there."

Brewers No. 12 prospect Brett Phillips went 3-for-5 with a pair of homers and four RBIs for Colorado Springs. Sky Sox starter Bubba Derby (4-0) allowed one run on four hits with a walk and seven strikeouts over seven innings.

Colorado Springs Box Score

Bubba!

Colorado Springs Game Log

Defense in this one, too!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Wisconsin 8, Quad Cities 5

Rattlers Beat Bandits 8-5 in Wild Game

Wisconsin pours on the offense late and hangs on for the win

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

cut.jpg

When you see "wild game" in the heading, you know you'll read Chris' summary, as always...

AUDIO via the Rattler Radio Soundcloud: "The Timber Rattlers beat the Quad Cities River Bandits 8–5 on Saturday night. Demi Orimoloye, Zach Clark, Braden Webb, Daniel Brown, and Pitching Coach Steve Cline are guests on the Papa John’s Pizza Postgame Podcast. Additionally, Chris Mehring & Kyle Lobner will update you on the playoff picture and take a deeper look into Saturday’s win."

Wisconsin Box Score

Toby with two tweets on 2016 7th round LHP Daniel Brown.

Wisconsin Game Log

Bottom of the order carried the day...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Great Falls 8, Helena 7

Walk-off loss (on a walk, yuck)

The Brewers may release a game summary later this AM, but for now, we lean on the Voyagers' report.

Helena Box Score

Stealing Toby's note: Catcher KJ Harrison allowed 1st 12 baserunners to steal on him, but upon getting re-acclimated, has caught 5 of last 8.

Second straight game where Helena loses a game in which Great Falls commits five errors.

Gabriel Garcia with a monster game, as noted earlier in the thread; Tristen Lutz, Harrison, and Chad McClanahan with big games as well.

Helena Game Log

H-Crew falls to 5-12 in the second half, four games out of first place.

Wow, what a great day in the minors. Great pitching performances from Derby, Perrin, Webb (been waiting for him to come around, the Brewers drafted him before Burnes), and Houser's rehab is progressing. Like Taylor Williams, there's a reason the Brewers have kept Houser on the 40-man roster. The talent is there.

Offensively, Jean Carmona played SS (Coca moved to 2B), Zach Clark has been hot and seems to be adjusting to A-ball pitching, Gatewood seems to be adjusting to AA, and to cap it off Orf's cycle and Phillips' two dinger night.

Early scoring outburst helps Shuckers clinch fourth straight series win

Jake Gatewood smacked his first Double-A homer during a five-run second inning

By Biloxi Shuckers

cut.jpg

Jake Gatewood hit his first Double-A home run in the second inning of Saturday's 7-2 win in Jackson, TN (Hunter Reed)

Biloxi Shuckers Box Score

Quick Summary:

The Shuckers are winning series at the right time of the year as Saturday night's 7-3 win sealed their fourth straight series win. The offense exploded for all seven of their runs in the first two innings, thanks to poor fielding by the Generals, to jump out to a 7-0 lead. That was more than enough as the pitching was on their game Saturday. Jon Perrin went six strong innings giving up two runs and striking out seven batters. Josh Uhen and Jorge Lopez took care of the last three innings only allowing one hit combined. Jake Gatewood also hit his first AA homer Saturday night.

Pitching Summary:

On the mound, Jon Perrin (6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 7 K) started the game while Josh Uhen (2.0 IP, H, 3K) and Jorge Lopez (1.0 IP) provided the relief.

Hitting Summary:

Angel Ortega (2-5, R, 2 R RBI)

Jake Gatewood (2-4, R, 3 RBI, BB, HR)

Gabriel Noriega (2-4, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB)

Biloxi Shuckers Game Log

Jake Gatewood blasts his first AA homerun.

Biloxi Top of the 2nd

Jacob Nottingham doubles (20) on a sharp fly ball to center fielder Victor Reyes.

Jon Perrin bunt grounds out softly, catcher Oscar Hernandez to second baseman Vladimir Frias.

With Tyrone Taylor batting, passed ball by Oscar Hernandez, Jacob Nottingham to 3rd.

Tyrone Taylor walks.

Troy Stokes reaches on a force attempt, fielding error by third baseman Marty Herum. Jacob Nottingham scores. Tyrone Taylor to 2nd.

Angel Ortega singles on a line drive to center fielder Victor Reyes. Tyrone Taylor scores. Troy Stokes to 2nd.

Clint Coulter grounds out, shortstop Galli Cribbs to first baseman Kevin Cron. Troy Stokes to 3rd. Angel Ortega to 2nd.

Jake Gatewood homers (1) on a fly ball to left field. Troy Stokes scores. Angel Ortega scores.

Gabriel Noriega doubles (5) on a sharp fly ball to center fielder Victor Reyes.

Javier Betancourt pops out to second baseman Vladimir Frias.

AZL Brewers 5, AZL White Sox 1

AZL Brewers Boxscore

Adrian Houser's road back to full season ball passed another test with perfect 2 inning out, including 4 strikeouts. He's struck out 16 in 8 2/3 innings in Arizona. By first-hand accounts, his stuff certainly appears to be back. And Christian Taugner continued to soak up innings for the Baby Brewers, working a professional-best 5 innings in Saturday night's game in relief of Houser. He allowed a run on 4 hits, walked no one, and got 5 Ks.

Yeison Coca lead the offense with 3 hits, including a double. Jesus Lujano smacked two doubles of his own, and Rob Henry had a double and a walk.

AZL Brewers Game Log

All the offense the offense would need:

AZL Brewers Bottom of the 5th

Robert Henry doubles (4) on a ground ball to left fielder Alex Destino.

Je'Von Ward grounds out, second baseman Lenyn Sosa to first baseman Michael Hickman. Robert Henry to 3rd.

Yeison Coca doubles (3) on a fly ball to left fielder Alex Destino. Robert Henry scores.

Jesus Lujano doubles (6) on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Garcia. Yeison Coca scores.

Jean Carmona reaches on a fielder's choice out, third baseman Ramon Beltre unassisted. Jesus Lujano out at 3rd. Jean Carmona advances to 2nd, on a throwing error by third baseman Ramon Beltre.

With Pat McInerney batting, Jean Carmona steals (1) 3rd base.

Pat McInerney singles on a pop up to shortstop Laz Rivera. Jean Carmona scores.

Pitching Change: Anthony Herron, Jr. replaces John Parke.

Julian Jarrard pops out to catcher Jhoandro Alfaro in foul territory.

DSL Cubs2 7, DSL Brewers 4

DSL Brewers Boxscore

Pablo Abreu and Anderson Melendez each had two singles and the Brewers jumped out to a 3-0 1st inning lead, but the pitching was not up to the task. The normally solid Freisis Adames was not that in Saturday's game, allowing 6 runs (4 earned) on 4 hits and 4 walks over 3 innings of work.

DSL Brewers Game Log

The early lead that did not hold up:

DSL Brewers Top of the 1st

Anderson Melendez lines out to center fielder Ricardo Verenzuela.

Victor Maria reaches on a throwing error by shortstop Josue Huma.

Pablo Abreu singles on a line drive to left fielder Carmelo Alfonzo. Victor Maria to 2nd.

Aaron Familia singles on a line drive to center fielder Ricardo Verenzuela. Victor Maria scores. Pablo Abreu scores. Aaron Familia to 2nd. Throwing error by center fielder Ricardo Verenzuela.

Luis Avalo reaches on a fielding error by first baseman Raymond Pena. Aaron Familia scores.

Roberto Molina singles on a line drive to right fielder Luis Ubiera. Luis Avalo out at 3rd on the throw, right fielder Luis Ubiera to third baseman Ignacio Otano.

With Luis Valdez batting, wild pitch by Didier Vargas, Roberto Molina to 2nd.

Luis Valdez grounds out, third baseman Ignacio Otano to first baseman Raymond Pena.

Yes, that is former Brewer farmhand Ignacio Otano.

DSL Brewers Co-op 6, DSL Pirates 2

DSL Brewers Co-op Boxscore

Yorki Franco and Luis Avila both had two hits and a walk to lead the Brewers' contingent in the win for the co-op squad. The 18 year old Franco is someone you'll probably see in the AZL next year, going by his very respectable .287/.333/.385 DSL slash.

Bryan Dimas stole his 18th base on the year despite a .163 batting average. Safe to assume he's pretty fast.

Two Brewers pitchers combined for 5 walks and no strikeouts, but also only one run allowed in 7 innings of work. Henry Medina walked one in said 7 innings, allowing said run on 4 hits. Daniel Acosta, who in his second DSL season could charitably be described as having control problems, walked 4 batters without recording an out in his 4 batters of work.

DSL Brewers Co-op Game Log

Big fifth inning:

DSL Indians/Brewers Bottom of the 5th

Pitching Change: Luis Diaz replaces Osvaldo Bido.

Gaspar Palacio strikes out swinging, catcher Ruben Gonzalez to first baseman Matthew Mercedes.

Bryan Dimas singles on a ground ball to third baseman Williams Calderon.

With Luis Avila batting, wild pitch by Luis Diaz, Bryan Dimas to 2nd.

With Luis Avila batting, Bryan Dimas steals (18) 3rd base.

Luis Avila walks.

With Makesiondon Kelkboom batting, wild pitch by Luis Diaz, Bryan Dimas scores. Luis Avila to 2nd.

Makesiondon Kelkboom doubles (7) on a ground ball to left fielder Emison Soto. Luis Avila scores.

Micael Ramirez grounds out, second baseman Ivan Rosario to first baseman Matthew Mercedes. Makesiondon Kelkboom to 3rd.

Javier Castillo walks.

Edwin Sano walks. Javier Castillo to 2nd.

Pitching Change: Saul De La Cruz replaces Luis Diaz.

Yorki Franco doubles (10) on a ground ball to right fielder Carlos Garcia. Makesiondon Kelkboom scores. Javier Castillo scores. Edwin Sano to 3rd.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Antonio Perez replaces Yorki Franco.

Derian Perez pops out to shortstop Francisco Acuna.

Archived