Brewer Fanatic

Standings following the Western road trip

Est1970

It is a bunch of average teams that are going to play eachother a ton from here on out. This division is a giant crapshoot between three teams.

The Cubs schedule is favorable for creating some distance, but at the end of the day it will be anyones to take come the end of September as the Cards/Crew both get 4 game series vs. Cubs. If no one creates distance the last 11 days are going to be wild.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Include the two series after the road trip, as well (Cards, Nats). If we are anywhere within 3 games of division or wild card, I'd be thrilled. Just blind hope to want a winning road trip, but that is what we'll need to stay in the race. Also, we have to split at least with Cards/Nats. Go .500 in next couple of weeks and we stay as a possible, though not probable, playoff team.

The TV announcers keep talking about the difficult road trip which is now upon us...3 @ Colorado, 3@ San Francisco, 3@ LA Dodgers.

In the same time period the Cubs have:

1 vs Cincinnati

3 vs. Toronto

3@ Cincinnati

3@ Philadelphia

The Cardinals have:

4@ Pittsburgh (1 actually at Williamsport PA)

3 vs San Diego

3 vs. Tampa

What will the standings look like as the crew returns home after the trip?

I can't see the Brewers doing better than 4-5, 1 win in Colorado, 2 in SF, 1 in LA.

Cubs go 7-3, winning today and the 2/3 in each series. Cards go 6-4, split with pirates, 2/3 in the other series. That leaves us 4.5 behind the cubs and .5 behind the Cardinals on August 28.

Your thoughts?

Don't disagree much, except I don't think the Cubs go better than 5-5. They're not a particularly good team. About like the Brewers, maybe a little better.

Toronto seems to be playing well lately and getting back involved in WC race, which is crazy how many teams are in it in the AL. Something as simple as us getting 2 in CO and Cubs losing 2 this weekend would be big.

Toronto seems to be playing well lately and getting back involved in WC race, which is crazy how many teams are in it in the AL. Something as simple as us getting 2 in CO and Cubs losing 2 this weekend would be big.

Well, we did our part. Too bad the Blue Jays suck.

2.5 back from the diamondbacks and 3.5 back from the rockies. It's a shame the cubs won all 3 against a bad team with the help of some incredibly good luck, but we did our part winning 2 of 3 on the road against a playoff contender. The Dbacks and Rockies play each other and the Dodgers a lot down the stretch. The focus for now should be to win enough to get into the 86-88 win range by seasons end. If that happens, I'm sure we'll get a spot. We can focus on the game by game when the magic number gets to single digits. For the most part, we've played very well over the last week. Need to keep the hot stretch rolling.

Well the OP is looking right on the money on the Brewers, who likely won't do better than 4-5, and that's only if they can find a way to beat the Dodgers in the next 2 games.

Luckily for them, the teams ahead of them aren't doing much better. Its a shame they've again went into an offensive funk with a chance to make up ground.

Well the OP is looking right on the money on the Brewers, who likely won't do better than 4-5, and that's only if they can find a way to beat the Dodgers in the next 2 games.

Luckily for them, the teams ahead of them aren't doing much better. Its a shame they've again went into an offensive funk with a chance to make up ground.

That sound you hear could be the start of the toilet being flushed on the 2017 season.

A bit of smoke and mirrors allowed for a better end result to this road trip than expected. Hopefully the offense can wake up at some point. The Brewers pitching has been outstanding.

I think we're past the smoke and mirrors stage of the season. I wouldn't call dropping 2 of 3 to the terrible Giants smoke and mirrors, so why call the good that? They dug deep and got done what nearly nobody has done to the Dodgers (and won the COL series) this year.

The only reason the dodgers were close that 3rd game is that fluke fly ball that Santana lost in the sun. That and the umpire was actively out to get us the last 2 innings of the game. But, we shouldn't get overly carried away as we played a very weakened team and had our top 3 pitchers lined up against their 3 worst. We likely wouldn't win 2 of 3 against a full strength dodgers team.

The only reason the dodgers were close that 3rd game is that fluke fly ball that Santana lost in the sun. That and the umpire was actively out to get us the last 2 innings of the game. But, we shouldn't get overly carried away as we played a very weakened team and had our top 3 pitchers lined up against their 3 worst. We likely wouldn't win 2 of 3 against a full strength dodgers team.

Of course several of our big hitters are in a slump and we couldn't take advantage of their pitching situation.

Good pitching is not smoke and mirrors

Very true, I am finally at the point where I don't think this team is smoke and mirrors and will be in this race until the end. Anderson/Nelson/Davies plus Swarzek/Hader/Knebel gives me lots of confidence.

Archived