Brewer Fanatic

Villar starting in CF

markedman5
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always said that any major league non-1B infielder should be able to play a half-way decent outfield. We'll see if I'm right.

I'd agree overall, especially just thinking LF. CF is a lot more difficult.

Yep. LF I agree. There aren't many non-shortstops I'd even want to try in CF.

Villar has some OF experience, but this probably won't go well.

Kotsay, Bill Hall, Yuni, Santana among others have roamed CF recently. Villar doesn't sound so crazy.

Hall made at least a little sense.

The other 3 don't strengthen any argument for trying him there. Which I'm pretty sure is what you were going for.

Just looks like Counsell was willing to do anything to get all his lefty bats in the lineup. Almost wonder if the organization were already thinking about something like this when the Walker deal was made?

I guess we will never see Santana in centerfield again as long as Counsell is the manager. No problem with that.

Kotsay, Bill Hall, Yuni, Santana among others have roamed CF recently. Villar doesn't sound so crazy.

As we trade for phillips and brinson... and draft ray to add to clark. This team has invested so heavily in plus athlete OFs that many have questioned why soo many... yet we are turning to Villar at CF.

I always wanted this team to platoon more... but now its come and gone too far.

Nutso....

Bad leadoff hitter

Inexperienced OF.... really CC? Really?

Traded for a 2B because of hole there, but Villar still plays.

If Villar has an option left, he's no doubt in CS playing infield. He doesn't so he's batting leadoff in CF for a contender? And AAA Dejesus is raking?

it is very easy to underestimate just how talented Villar is.... myself included. Talent like that, you want to give him a long leash. He was extremely valuable in 2016 and is flashing signs of that talent again lately
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

.187 BA leading off inning...

.254 OBP leading off inning...

Leadoff CF? Can't afford to get the guy out of the lineup?

Is CC just playing with DS? Could there be a major disagreement here with this player?

In the games leading up to this decision he was 7/17, plus 2 walks. 411 BA and 473 OBP. It was as simple as trying to ride a hot hand and being lefty. I don't see the need to make a big deal of it.

As we trade for phillips and brinson... and draft ray to add to clark. This team has invested so heavily in plus athlete OFs that many have questioned why soo many... yet we are turning to Villar at CF.

I always wanted this team to platoon more... but now its come and gone too far.

Villar in the outfield is a short-term move to get lefty bats in the lineup.

Stearns could have made some bigger moves at the deadline with Brinson and Phillips and the fact that he held onto both of them tells me he expects those players to be long-term contributors for the Milwaukee Brewers. I expect both of them to be on the team out of spring training next year. Considering Broxton's low OBP and below average defensive metrics he likely wouldn't command much in a trade so it makes sense to hold him. Braun, Santana, Brinson, Broxton and Phillips fairly likely to be the five outfielders out of spring training. I don't see Villar fitting into this mix, but could provide an additional outfield option when the inevitable Braun injury occurs.

I don't believe they go with all five of Santana/Braun/Brinson/Phillips/Broxton in 2018. Someone will be traded.

I'd still expect Villar to start at 2B in 2018, as long as he keeps doing what he's currently doing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To be honest, this is almost exactly how Perez started playing OF. Showed some skills in BP, got in a game. Made himself a super-sub. Maybe that becomes Villar's path too. Or maybe this was a one-off game.

He has been hot lately and CC is trying to shake up (wake up?) the offense. I wouldn't put too much stock into one game.

it is very easy to underestimate just how talented Villar is.... myself included. Talent like that, you want to give him a long leash. He was extremely valuable in 2016 and is flashing signs of that talent again lately

The leash cannot be longer.

Others struggle and get demoted......quite a few actually this year. Villar plays regularly, leads off, fills in at center, and is treated like he is his 2016 version. Fact is, if he had an option, he isn't here. That is what I cannot get passed.

The leash cannot be longer.

Others struggle and get demoted......quite a few actually this year. Villar plays regularly, leads off, fills in at center, and is treated like he is his 2016 version. Fact is, if he had an option, he isn't here. That is what I cannot get passed.

You honestly want him gone, DFA'd? You want to see him a year for now being a productive player for one of the other MLB teams while we get absolutely nothing for him?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived