Brewer Fanatic

Stanton's Value

So it looking like Stanton to SF is a very good possibility and them also being a finalist for Othani, could they be looking to dump some SP from their payroll if they sign him? I was interested in Samardzija till I saw how long he was signed for. I would have no problem paying him $20M a year but not for 3 more years. The other guy would be Moore. He's been flat out awful since going to SF but he's only got one more year guaranteed at $9M and then a $10M option for another and was sort of serviceable with Tampa. I wouldn't give up anything of any value for either of those guys, just take on their whole contracts, heck maybe even take one of their prospects a la Aaron Hill.

Moore has been a bad pitcher since he stopped throwing his slider, so unless he starts throwing that again, I’m out. I could see them trying to get out of half of that or something if a team would bite.

I wonder if the Marlins would be taking on Moore and/or Pence in the deal.

It’s interesting because they’re clearly all in yet again and are 3-time luxury tax offenders so they’d owe big time...but they’re kinda all-in, so would they really want to give away a solid pitcher in Samardzija? That’ll be interesting. I’d have been all over absorbing his contract if so.

I'm not sure on the exact luxury tax rules, but I'd think if you are gonna go over...might as well go over big like int'l signing a few years back where teams completely disregarded the rules and signed like crazy 1 year and just didn't do any signing the next 2.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So it looking like Stanton to SF is a very good possibility and them also being a finalist for Othani, could they be looking to dump some SP from their payroll if they sign him? I was interested in Samardzija till I saw how long he was signed for. I would have no problem paying him $20M a year but not for 3 more years. The other guy would be Moore. He's been flat out awful since going to SF but he's only got one more year guaranteed at $9M and then a $10M option for another and was sort of serviceable with Tampa. I wouldn't give up anything of any value for either of those guys, just take on their whole contracts, heck maybe even take one of their prospects a la Aaron Hill.

Moore has been a bad pitcher since he stopped throwing his slider, so unless he starts throwing that again, I’m out. I could see them trying to get out of half of that or something if a team would bite.

I wonder if the Marlins would be taking on Moore and/or Pence in the deal.

It’s interesting because they’re clearly all in yet again and are 3-time luxury tax offenders so they’d owe big time...but they’re kinda all-in, so would they really want to give away a solid pitcher in Samardzija? That’ll be interesting. I’d have been all over absorbing his contract if so.

I'm not sure on the exact luxury tax rules, but I'd think if you are gonna go over...might as well go over big like int'l signing a few years back where teams completely disregarded the rules and signed like crazy 1 year and just didn't do any signing the next 2.

Yeah, the problem is that they're a 3rd time offender and they pay 50 cents on the dollar on anything over the threshold. The last few years they've offended, I think they barely went over.

If their ownership wants to pay that, more power to 'em.

Most teams like the Yankees and Dodgers want to get under that bar because it resets the counter. Those teams are also 3-time offenders, so if they go bonkers and go over with Bryce Harper next year, they want to only have to pay the 1st-time offender fee, which I believe is 20 cents on the dollar.

I guess if I'm the Giants, I'm just saying I'm out on the Harper/Machado/Keuchel sweepstakes and I'll just take Stanton and pay through the nose for a year or two.

Bumgarner's deal is almost up, Posey is getting older, Samardzija and Cueto are around for a few years but are getting older. I guess they can just put the rest of their chips on the table for '18 and '19 and probably collapse after that. Maybe they can try to repackage Stanton again or pray that he opts out.

Bumgarner's deal is almost up, Posey is getting older, Samardzija and Cueto are around for a few years but are getting older. I guess they can just put the rest of their chips on the table for '18 and '19 and probably collapse after that. Maybe they can try to repackage Stanton again or pray that he opts out.

But if they land Stanton AND Otani... they will be a beast for those 2 seasons.

Yes Pence comes off the books after this season and others fall off the books after 19 & 20. If the Giants play their cards right, they might not completely collapse after 19...

But if they land Stanton AND Otani... they will be a beast for those 2 seasons.

Yes Pence comes off the books after this season and others fall off the books after 19 & 20. If the Giants play their cards right, they might not completely collapse after 19...

Forgot about Ohtani.

Agree. If I'm a big market team, I'm always in favor of going all in, even with hilariously long/risky contracts. Look at the Tigers right now. When it finally all collapses, you can still clear half of them and just sit on the bad ones and be in decent shape when you come out of your rebuild.

The Giants' empty farm system will make it really hard to contend again after '19, but they could definitely spend big around then and try to keep the ship afloat for another year or two and maybe they'd finally have a farm system to help out in the 2020s.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Reportedly the giants offered their top 4 prospects. No mention of panik, but that's a better offer than previously reported

The trade of Stanton will depend on how much the Marlins pay down Stanton's salary. And Miami could take on a contract or two instead of giving back more money -- for instance they could take Denard Span from the Giants. He's set to make $10M or so.

It will all get into the details, but it seems like the Giants have their hearts set on Stanton. I think they envision him as another Barry Bonds - a guy who can carry the team on his back.

Miami is apparently desparate to get rid of Stanton's contract but he holds all the cards. If he doesn't get traded, could we trade for Chen and Prado (about 78 million in contracts) and steal some pitching prospects? Similar, but on a bigger scale to the Segura-Diaz trade.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Miami is apparently desparate to get rid of Stanton's contract but he holds all the cards. If he doesn't get traded, could we trade for Chen and Prado (about 78 million in contracts) and steal some pitching prospects? Similar, but on a bigger scale to the Segura-Diaz trade.

Maybe but I don't know why we would. Chen's arm is toast and I don't know what we'd do with Prado. He's not an upgrade over Shaw, unless you want to put Prado at 2B and even then he's still not much of anything.

Maybe but I don't know why we would. Chen's arm is toast and I don't know what we'd do with Prado. He's not an upgrade over Shaw, unless you want to put Prado at 2B and even then he's still not much of anything.

We can't operate like a big payroll team, it sounds great in theory but it's a better decision for a luxury tax payroll team, not us

It appears to be for Starlin Castro, who had a great year last year at 2B. Would he be our new trade target? He'll only be 28 and had a near 800 OPS last year. Not exactly the leadoff type hitter we need, and is somewhat strikeout prone but is signed through 2019 for $22M which is not too bad.

It appears to be for Starlin Castro, who had a great year last year at 2B. Would he be our new trade target? He'll only be 28 and had a near 800 OPS last year. Not exactly the leadoff type hitter we need, and is somewhat strikeout prone but is signed through 2019 for $22M which is not too bad.

No, I'm not going to pay Castro that for what he produces. Villar of '16 is superior to what Castro is average and his average is fairly consistent. a .740 OPS sub-average defense.

Stanton's value is 10/295mil reduced by 50mil (30+Castro) or 10/245mil to the Yankees and Jose Devers with Jorge Guzman.

I wouldn't love Castro but at only $11M-ish per year for 2 years (assuming we'd decline his option) for his age 28 and 29 season, wouldn't be horrible. The Marlins are almost certainly just going to give him away to whomever takes the whole contract. Not my first choice for 2B but wouldn't be upset if that is who we go with.

Archived