Brewer Fanatic

RIP Danny Walton

DocLuna7

Very sad, indeed.

Walton was a promising young outfielder who was considered to have star potential. He had 17 HR and a 117 OPS+ as a 22 year old. Not sure what happened to his stardom, but he never repeated those numbers.

Those original Brewers are leaving us too quickly.

Sad news. He was kind of the Eric Thames of 1970. Definitely the first star in Brewers history, at least in the fans eyes. Got off to a big start and was even the first Brewer to get the cover of a national magazine...I have a Sporting News somewhere, believe it says " Danny Walton - Next Killebrew?", or something to that effect. After the big start he was injured, and from what i heard, he tailed off when the league exposed his difficulties hitting off speed pitches.... Went on to be one of the better sluggers in minor league history though. Was glad to see that the Brewers invited him back at the County Stadium closing ceremonies

Very sad, indeed.

Walton was a promising young outfielder who was considered to have star potential. He had 17 HR and a 117 OPS+ as a 22 year old. Not sure what happened to his stardom, but he never repeated those numbers.

Those original Brewers are leaving us too quickly.

He had 15 of those 17 HR by July 1st. Only hit 2 after that. Not sure what happened. Maybe he enjoyed major league life style a little too much. Maybe he was simply a AAAA player that couldn't sustain it in the big leagues. Greater emphasis in those days was on being complete hitters. Walton swung for the fences and would fit in better in today's game. Career 185 HR in AAA. That's impressive.

In 1970, Danny Walton came to see me in the hospital when I was injured. He really made a difference, and I idolized him. In the early 1990s I had a chance to talk to him when he showed up for an Old Timers' game - and we became great friends. More than friends - he called me "Little Brother." I'm heartbroken. I know he only played for them for a year and a half, but he'll always be one of the original Brewers, and I hope he's remembered. Rest in peace, Danny. You were a good man.

Archived