Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Trade for Neil Walker

Eye Black
How on earth do we know Hiura is close? Because of a high BA in A ball? That's child's play for a college guy. Also I watched him do infield drills a few days ago...it left a lot to be desired. This guy could be two years away or four.

Assuming he is close is foolish. Taylor Jungmann was drafted as "very advanced almost MLB ready". That turned out...not accurate.

Well it's not child's play for Ray, Clark, et al. Hiura by all measures is the real deal at least at bat and at the 9th pick in the draft he darn well better be.

As for Walker, his play is almost completely irrelevant unless he gets absolutely white hot from here on out. He is a FA so he isn't the 2B of the future. I'm really not sure what his purpose is here. Maybe the one guy gets hot and the rest follow theory?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How on earth do we know Hiura is close? Because of a high BA in A ball? That's child's play for a college guy. Also I watched him do infield drills a few days ago...it left a lot to be desired. This guy could be two years away or four.

Assuming he is close is foolish. Taylor Jungmann was drafted as "very advanced almost MLB ready". That turned out...not accurate.

Well it's not child's play for Ray, Clark, et al. Hiura by all measures is the real deal at least at bat and at the 9th pick in the draft he darn well better be.

Trent Clark was a high school pick and much younger at Wisconsin.

Corey Ray didn't really play in Wisconsin

If part of your assumption that he will be a fast mover is the fact he was the #9 pick would Corey Ray, a #5 pick, make you not have that assumption? You can't assume a guy will move fast. It is like drafting for need, setting up for failure.

4 weeks late.....

Agreed. Too little too late. They needed a move that moved the needle in mid July. A move that doesn't move the needle and comes a month late? Yawn. Unless Verlander suddenly shows up and a quality bat in CF is acquired in the next couple days, why bother? Maybe Walker gets moved again at the end of August?

I think what I like the least is how it complicates 2B next year. You've got a controllable 26 year old 2B who you liked enough to offer a long term deal a few months ago, and who is finally, finally starting to show signs of coming out of it, and you make this deal now?

Villar has stunk this year, make no bones about it. But looking at the big picture you've got to evaluate whether he can bounce back now and be the guy for at least next year. So now he sits on the bench the rest of the way, and then what? Non-tender him? Give him another shot in 2018? It's hard to say now, but the 30% remaining of the season would help determine that if he was going to play.

If I thought Walker was so good that he could make a difference and get things going again and help carry us the division, I'd say screw it, it's worth it. But that's not the case.

I'll take Walker over Kinsler and Phillips in a heartbeat...based on what it costs us that is.

Adam, people whine on this site on the daily always looking forthe negative. People scream for Kinsler/Phillips (a 2b in general too) and when that happens half the comments are negative for a player that's solid and better than what people were screaming for

There are college players that come out of college nearly ready for majors. Paul Molitor was one. Braun was another. Hiura by most reports was the best hitter in all of college baseball. He's done nothing to disprove that as a professional.

Trent Clark was a high school pick and much younger at Wisconsin.

Corey Ray didn't really play in Wisconsin

If part of your assumption that he will be a fast mover is the fact he was the #9 pick would Corey Ray, a #5 pick, make you not have that assumption? You can't assume a guy will move fast. It is like drafting for need, setting up for failure.

I don't know they drafted for need. We were told in spring that we had 2B covered to the point that Villar was offered a $20M+ extension and his backup was released. I am assuming the Hiura pick in early June was not with Villar in mind. Whatever the reason, it does seem that Villar is no longer in the team's plans at least for the short term.

For a playoff team, Walker actually is a logical pick up. The guy is pretty solid. If the Brewers were a better team I'd like this move a lot more. Right now it just seems like they are making up for releasing Scooter and paying Walker a lot to play for what might not even be a 500 team by seasons end.

I'll take Walker over Kinsler and Phillips in a heartbeat...based on what it costs us that is.

Adam, people whine on this site on the daily always looking forthe negative. People scream for Kinsler/Phillips (a 2b in general too) and when that happens half the comments are negative for a player that's solid and better than what people were screaming for

He disagreed with the move and cited a stat to support why. Nothing wrong with that.

People opinions also change and evolve based on the current team situation. As I said I would be a lot more behind this move if we were 3 up in the division. Being 3 down and IMO not going to be contending for the division in the final week it seems to be a waste of resources and evaluation time to me.

There are college players that come out of college nearly ready for majors. Paul Molitor was one. Braun was another. Hiura by most reports was the best hitter in all of college baseball. He's done nothing to disprove that as a professional.

Keston hasn't even played an inning of defense yet. At best your looking at 2019

You folks need to calm down. A week ago the Twins were roadkill, and now they're right in the playoff chase. This team is much better than them, we need that spark though to clear the funk. Perhaps that was last night, we'll see....theyll get rolling again pretty soon. I'd rather have Phillips but walker is a solid pickup.

Stearns clearly has a plan to his madness picking up rentals on the cheap father than splashing. He could very well have already decided that were moving on from Villar or something and is just making the best of the last two months to keep us competitive.

You folks need to calm down. A week ago the Twins were roadkill, and now they're right in the playoff chase. This team is much better than them, we need that spark though to clear the funk. Perhaps that was last night, we'll see....theyll get rolling again pretty soon. I'd rather have Phillips but walker is a solid pickup.

Stearns clearly has a plan to his madness picking up rentals on the cheap father than splashing.

Twins played the Brewers 4 times.

Stearns clearly has a plan to his madness picking up rentals on the cheap father than splashing. He could very well have already decided that were moving on from Villar or something and is just making the best of the last two months to keep us competitive.

No, they're not.

Brewers just traded for a 2B who even in a down year is hitting .284/.353/.495 vs RHP and has a proven track record of being a solid dependable hitter, and people are complaining?

Personally I'm psyched. The team just got better. Will be interested to see what they gave up

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewers just traded for a 2B who even in a down year is hitting .284/.353/.495 vs RHP and has a proven track record of being a solid dependable hitter, and people are complaining?

Personally I'm psyched. The team just got better. Will be interested to see what they gave up

The reasons people don't like it are pretty well explained on the previous page.

And I think it's obvious they gave up nothing. It's a salary dump with some organizational filler non-prospect going back. It would be extremely disappointing if they even gave up a top 30 organizational prospect.

I think what I like the least is how it complicates 2B next year. You've got a controllable 26 year old 2B who you liked enough to offer a long term deal a few months ago, and who is finally, finally starting to show signs of coming out of it, and you make this deal now?

Villar has stunk this year, make no bones about it. But looking at the big picture you've got to evaluate whether he can bounce back now and be the guy for at least next year. So now he sits on the bench the rest of the way, and then what? Non-tender him? Give him another shot in 2018? It's hard to say now, but the 30% remaining of the season would help determine that if he was going to play.

If I thought Walker was so good that he could make a difference and get things going again and help carry us the division, I'd say screw it, it's worth it. But that's not the case.

I'd guess what will happen with Villar is sporadic time this year, starting 2B to begin 2018 and if he's still bad like this year they will bring up Dubon then, who might be ready and after awhile will have arbitration delayed a year

No, they're not.

In terms of how they are currently playing of course not but over the season the Brewers definitely are better than the Twins. Look at run differential. The Twins have gotten hot and that is what matters but they have really bad pitching staff all the way around with the exception of santana.

I think you know better than to compare an advanced college bat who's thriving right out of the gate with any pitcher....

I agree with part of this. We need to see what we have in Villar. Villar was solid for Houston..though behind two of the best players in the game and then was a legit stud for us last year.

Now he's struggled for half a season(little more for those who like to nitpick). He's clearly got the talent and while I like Walker and think picking his OPS since the ASB is a totally arbitrary date, I never thought the Brewers were good enough to try to trade for anyone of significance and they've made it this far....go with the young guys you have. They're still in a race. See how they can hold up down the stretch.

Of course if you still believe the Brewers are in the race as they are mathematically, then this is a good move. He's had a solid season and he's a consistent player from year to year.

You are right.... they are making a needed move that I have been calling for, and that should be mentioned. Good move.

Yet, why the wait? I guess the big thing with me is that they have played so poorly, hit so poorly, and everyone has their fake smile on about how we are right in it. Just get Villar away (trade him for something if he has this load of future star talent) and beat bad teams at home. Not a lot to ask.... the people predicting flop after the break didn't even think they would be this bad. So frustrating and people are venting.

No, they're not.

In terms of how they are currently playing of course not but over the season the Brewers definitely are better than the Twins. Look at run differential. The Twins have gotten hot and that is what matters but they have really bad pitching staff all the way around with the exception of santana.

And that one pitcher, Ervin Santana has an FIP of 4.78.

I agree, the Brewers are a better team than the Twins. But they're also in a much easier position to make the playoffs. Easier division, easier path to the WC. But your point is entirely valid. One week and a teams outcome can completely change.

There tends to be a group think type mentality. Walker has a bad OPS since the ASB so he's not much of an upgrade. The Brewers are terrible because they've been terrible for a stretch(and really it's been their offense). The Twins are better because they beat the Brewers when one team was hot and the other cold.

Not sure what there is to suggest the Twins are a better team..but I'd take the Brewers.

Archived