Brewer Fanatic

Brewer Minor League Free Agents After the 2017 Season

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Following is a list of players who are free to leave the organization five days after the World Series when minor league free agency begins. These players and the Brewers could agree to sign an additional one-year minor league deal to extend the relationship. Or the Brewers could add the player to the 40-man roster, thus extending the "ownership" of the player, and preventing him from reaching the open market.

Minor league free agency will be a pretty scary time for most of these players. For others, fairly big opportunities await.

Expect several of these players to be re-signed to minor league deals for 2018. In particular, the organization is slated to lose a huge chunk of their AAA and AA pitching staffs - yes, there will be some Shuckers and Mudcats who move up, and of course, new outsiders brought in, but the Brewers will need bodies to come back.

A player who has exhausted all seven years of his original minor league affiliation to the organization that signed him is eligible. Here are the Brewers farmhands who have been with the organization for their full seven-year affiliated commitment (or even longer than seven years for some). We've been following these 13 guys their whole affiliated pro careers (lists below in alphabetical order):

RHP Parker Berberet

RHP Hiram Burgos - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

RHP Tim Dillard - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

RHP Tyler Cravy

RHP David Goforth - SIGNED WITH WASHINGTON 12/9 (BIG LEAGUE CAMP INVITE)

C Dustin Houle - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

C Natanael Mejia - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

RHP Jorge Ortega - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

RHP Wily Peralta - SIGNED WITH KANSAS CITY 12/5 (MAJOR LEAGUE DEAL)

LHP/1B Nick Ramirez - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

OF Michael Reed - SIGNED WITH ATLANTA 11/28

IF Yadiel Rivera - SIGNED WITH FLORIDA 11/23

RHP Angel Ventura - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

Other free agents:

LHP Andrew Barbosa - SIGNED WITH LONG ISLAND (Independent Atlantic League) 2/8

RHP Yhonathan Barrios

RHP Michael Blazek - SIGNED WITH ARIZONA 1/22

1B Chris Colabello

IF Ivan De Jesus, Jr. - SIGNED WITH BOSTON 1/2

C Rene Garcia

RHP Travis Hissong - SIGNED WITH KANSAS CITY (Independent American Association) 3/9[/b]

OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis - SIGNED WITH SEATTLE 11/13

LHP Sean Nolin - SIGNED WITH COLORADO 2/19

IF Nick Noonan - SIGNED WITH OAKLAND 2/9

IF Gabriel Noriega - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

UT Fidel Pena - SIGNED BY BREWERS TO A 2018 MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

RHP Matt Ramsey - SIGNED WITH HOUSTON 12/8

RHP Rob Scahill - SIGNED WITH CHICAGO WHITE SOX 12/1

RHP Forrest Snow - SIGNED WITH TAMPA 1/11

Ramirez and Berberet are recent converts to pitching, and Ramirez has had a heck of a season at AA. I'd be shocked if Ramirez isn't back.

Same with Barrios - another late pitching convert who looked good pumping upper 90's heat (and that was using the old measurement). I don't see them giving up on him. I wouldn't want to give up on Nolin either.

Hard to believe that Houle is only 23. Like many others, Colorado Springs hasn't been kind to Ramsey but the 11.3 K/9 is hard to let walk.

Peralta and Cravy have talent but need a change of scenery. Cravy pitched so well out of the bullpen last year (the two spot starts didn't go well), and it's so hard to prove yourself as a pitcher at CS, that I don't think he'll get a chance here.

Peralta and Cravy have talent but need a change of scenery. Cravy pitched so well out of the bullpen last year (the two spot starts didn't go well), and it's so hard to prove yourself as a pitcher at CS, that I don't think he'll get a chance here.

I'm sure Cravy has zero interest in resigning here anyways since this organization is poorly run and full of liars and all.

Ramirez and Berberet are recent converts to pitching, and Ramirez has had a heck of a season at AA. I'd be shocked if Ramirez isn't back.

Same with Barrios - another late pitching convert who looked good pumping upper 90's heat (and that was using the old measurement). I don't see them giving up on him. I wouldn't want to give up on Nolin either.

Hard to believe that Houle is only 23. Like many others, Colorado Springs hasn't been kind to Ramsey but the 11.3 K/9 is hard to let walk.

Ramirez--- please sign, put on the 40 man roster or whatever you have to do to keep him.

Barrios--- please sign, he was so good before he got hurt.

Cravy--- I was high on him, like Sutor, but now the shine has wore off of him.

Peralta---do not dismiss him just yet, but if goes, oh well.

The rest of them---they can stay or they can go.

I'd hope that the Crew keeps these guys:

RHP Jorge Ortega - Had good control prior to needing TJ surgery.

RHP Wily Peralta - Maybe he can turn it around.

LHP/1B Nick Ramirez - Toolshed 2.0

OF Michael Reed - Superb OBP skills

RHP Angel Ventura - Like what I've seen this year

C Rene Garcia - Never hurts to have depth

LHP Sean Nolin - Can't have enough lefties

Brewer Fanatic Staff
How can Wily Peralta be a minor league free agent when the Brewers still control him for a couple more years?

Peralta's been DFA'd. He's no longer on the 40-man, no longer under Brewers control in 2018 after 12 years in the system. That's why he's on this list.

Nick Ramirez should be a September call up shouldn't he? What more does he have to do? Plus he give them another PH option. Certainly he's more worthy of a 40 man spot than Espino.

My one concern with Ramirez is how many innings he's pitched this year after not having pitched for 5-6 years. Fifth most innings on Biloxi this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nick Ramirez should be a September call up shouldn't he? What more does he have to do? Plus he give them another PH option. Certainly he's more worthy of a 40 man spot than Espino.

My one concern with Ramirez is how many innings he's pitched this year after not having pitched for 5-6 years. Fifth most innings on Biloxi this year.

He is 28 years old and pitched 67 innings this year. Its not like he is 22 and pitching 160 innings. Certainly the BP induces more wear and tear on an arm by getting up and warming up so often. But given his maturity, I wouldn't be too worried about the increase from no inning the week before.

Ramirez and Ventura might be added to the 40 man (I'd hope Ramirez is a lock for the 40 man).

I'd like to see Houle back next year also. Given Houle's injury history and the fact that he is a catcher, its just going to take more time for him to develop. 647 OPS isn't anything to be excited about, but he does sport a 324 OBP which is very good given his BA (234). I've heard good things about this D, so if he can pick up his stick a little bit, he could make a decent backup C.

Given Barrios' injury, he is another that could easily come back as a MiLB FA. And is probably worth bringing back as long as his injury hasn't hampered him long term too badly.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The only guy I really care much about is Nick Ramirez. You put up his numbers (1.30 ERA in 69 IP) after not having pitched in years - that's intriguing.

I was a fan of Michael Reed, but he appears to need a change of scenery. I thought Goforth could be a decent reliever - but he just keeps underwhelming. I guess it's time to move on. Again, maybe a good change of scenery guy.

A lot of the other guys are just organizational filler types. As people have noted, many will be resigned. Others will move on, and we'll sign someone else's middling players to fill spots in the org.

I wouldn't be surprised if Burgos comes back. The club seems to value his presence in the system (sort of like Dillard).

Agree with what most have said and echo why:

Definitely keep

Sean Nolin - was top 10 A's prospect before trade & subsequent injury. need to see what we've got there especially since we've invested a lot of time in rehab.

Yhonathan Barrios - in only his second season as a full-time pitcher made it to the majors. that's crazy and so is his high 90s fastball, at least before the injury.

Nick Ramirez - even though he's already 27- its just his first year pitching professionally- and what did he do? only dominate AA all year long.

Tim Dillard - As A Swing And A Drive reminded us in their hilarious tongue & cheek Transaction Rumors/Proposals post, Dillard is a gem and should have a guaranteed contract for life or at least until his arm falls off or better yet, he finds himself in the broadcast booth.

Likely (chances are strong they'll be back)

RHP Parker Berberet- had mixed results in first professional year pitching. not high end stuff- but def. showed enough to warrant seeing what he can do in year two.

RHP Jorge Ortega - Before last year, he absolutely man-handled the lower minors. but, with low-end fastball and coming off an injury, not likely that he'll find success at upper levels. but, worth a flyer on- especially seeing the success of fellow soft-tossers like Suter.

OF Michael Reed - I think the Crew would be wise to re-sign him to a minor league deal. there's the potential we lose several AAA OFs and could use a 4th OF who can play all three spots. plus, he's still young enough for his potential to emerge, which is still Mitch Hanigeresq. plus, those arms...

RHP Angel Ventura - has been solid at each level, including his stint this year at AAA. expect him to be brought back for pitching depth both for bullpen and spot starts.

1B Chris Colabello - at this point in his career, his potential has peaked, so not the type of guy Stearns would look to re-sign, but with the lack of other in-house options at 1B next year at AAA (Dustin DeMuth?) and being blocked at the major league level (thank Thames/Aguilar), i could see them bringing him back for another go-round. but, if they don't- they'll probably bring in another minor league FA with similar player profile.

IF Ivan De Jesus, Jr. - what a year! too bad was never given a shot at 2B with the Brewers when Sogard started to cool off/got injured. but, would be solid to have back in AAA- especially since he can play all over the infield.

Flip a Coin

RHP Hiram Burgos- one of my alltime fav. brewers for some reason. so sure hope he comes back. there's value in veteran depth at AAA.

C Dustin Houle - brewers have supported him through his injuries early in his career. has shown promise, but with a crowded catching unit next year at AA, could be hard to find playing time.

IF Nick Noonan- Has played well this year for the crew. they liked him enough they traded for him back- so that should say something. but there's a crowded infield at AAA next year. but, much of that crowd could be lost as FAs or Rule V. if that happens his chances of return move up to LiKELY.

RHP Matt Ramsey - pitched well as the closer in Biloxi, but got rocked at Colorado Springs (not uncommon lol). however, with tons of potential arms at AAA depending on the free agency, and at 28 next year- they might make room for someone with more major league potential. though he has a nice K rate.

RHP Forrest Snow - seems like a guy they would bring in anyway as a minor league FA w/ spring training invite. so why not re-sign him. but, as mentioned previously, plenty of bullpen depth already at AAA, but since most of them are minor league Free Agents- anything can happen.

Not Likely (chances are they're gone)

RHP Tyler Cravy- kind of got a raw deal this year, but did most of it to himself. He'll look for an organization that [sarcasm]will treat him like a human, or find a 9 to 5[/sarcasm].

RHP David Goforth - too bad his high 90s fastball has not afforded him more success, but its not like he hasn't had opportunities. time to cut the leash.

C Natanael Mejia - Brewers always seem to have a plethora of organizational catchers, especially "older" guys who slot in almost as assistant coaches. and they'll have a lot of those guys next year too. if he's back, he'd be back in that role.

RHP Wily Peralta - most likely will split ways after many failed opportunities to regain his form. but, i'd love it if he re-signed and competed in Spring Training. wherever he is, hope he can put it together.

LHP Andrew Barbosa - don't see him brought back, but would love to see him and his 6'8" frame back. often tall guys are late to put it all together in terms of repeating mechanics. if he does- would be great. but too inconsistent and we'll have a lot of other players in the mix.

C Rene Garcia - too bad as he's done everything you could ask for. however, with so much catching depth at AA/AAA who aren't minor league FAs, don't see him getting an offer unless someone is moved/lost.

RHP Travis Hissong - only so many arms- and his isn't one of them.

OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis - man, there's something about a home crowd. and nobody knows that better than Nieuwy. home/away OPS splits (2017 - .903/.488; 2016- .953/.460). if we signed him as a double platoon- only hits righthanders and only at home. he'd be a MONSTER! i think i'm convincing myself of something i was just joking about...

IF Gabriel Noriega- in the same boat as Noonan, but put up pretty poor numbers this year. not sure why they'd bring him back.

UT Fidel Pena - next year, he'll turn 28 during the season and to date has never advanced past A+. was injured all year. chances don't look good. but then again, he can play all over- and there's value in that.

RHP Rob Scahill - Brewers favorite DFA candidate and would be on a AAAA all-star team. inconceiably dominate at Colorado Springs as he is mediocre in Milwaukee. he is a dime a dozen this offseason. and we've already got a dozen in system.

[re-organized]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived