Brewer Fanatic

brandon phillips

Phillips is not the player he used to be but would definitely upgrade 2B and could have some pop off the bench on days he doesn't start. He could also lead off.

Villar + Wilkerson for Phillips

Not a bad idea. He's hitting .329/.351/.500 since the All Star break. Would be very comparable to the Ray Durham acquisition in 2008.

Either that or settle on Perez at 2B from here on out and get a veteran OF to spell Braun and add to bench.

Phillips 2B

Braun LF

Shaw 3B

Aguilar/Thames 1B

Santana RF

Piña/Vogt/Bandy C

Broxton/Perez/Phillips/Brinson CF

Arcia SS

Pitcher

When Perez plays fill him in the subbed player spot. Villar would need to be part of the deal to free up the roster spot. Sogard can still be a sub middle infielder. That line up is scary good! By the time Phillips ages out, Dubon, Hiura or Diaz will be knocking on the door.

I live in Atlanta and heard on the local radio him moving to third to let a +++ rookie start at second. They spoke of trading him to a contender and I could not believe they did not mention Milwaukee. I guess they think Villar will bounce back.

I'd like Phillips but I'd keep Villar over Sogard. Dude got extremely hot and that will be the last we hear of him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Doesn't he have a no trade that he refused to waive for a few years? You would think he'd like to go to a contender but he blocked trades to contenders for years until the offseason.

He was mad that Scooter took the Reds #4, so I think he'll be willing to come to the Crew only if he gets #2.

Doesn't he have a no trade that he refused to waive for a few years? You would think he'd like to go to a contender but he blocked trades to contenders for years until the offseason.

Phillips had 10/5 rights with Cincy. He does not currently have a no-trade provision.

Seems like only yesterday that Cleveland turned down Doug Melvin's offer of a young Jorge De La Rosa for Phillips before they dealt him to the Reds.

Gruber Lawffices

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Phillips had 10/5 rights with Cincy. He does not currently have a no-trade provision.

Seems like only yesterday that Cleveland turned down Doug Melvin's offer of a young Jorge De La Rosa for Phillips before they dealt him to the Reds.

Boy that would have been something. Would we have seen Rickie Weeks patrolling CF for those exciting late 2000s Brewer teams?

He was mad that Scooter took the Reds #4, so I think he'll be willing to come to the Crew only if he gets #2.

Thankfully #2 is available since the Angels claimed Nick Franklin off waivers.

I think it can, the 2008 team was 4-15 during September until they had that amazing last home stand which of course lead to a playoff appearance. They still have time to turn this around and if they could get Phillips for not much of anything then why not.

A serious question. Does it even matter? Upgrading second base, is it really going to make a difference. I don't think I've ever seen a team take the gas pipe like this team has.

The problem is we don't know if it matters. Nothing would have matter going into the season or so we thought. Anyone see that winning streak before the break? Anyone expect us to play this bad after the break? Anyone expect the pitching to be this good? There are only 46 games left in the schedule. One hot streak/cold streak can make or break your season.

Are will willing to dump money and minimal prospects to see if someone can help? That is the question.

Phillips has cleared waivers, so he's available. The Reds are paying almost all of his 2017 salary so he'd only cost 300K for the rest of the year.

He's always been fun to watch. If they're not going to stick with Villar, I want him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Phillips has cleared waivers, so he's available. The Reds are paying almost all of his 2017 salary so he'd only cost 300K for the rest of the year.

A few questions: I'm not a huge fan of Phillips in his current state but surely would take him to finish the season for the heck of it.

A. Does the "free" thing really transfer? Is it possible that his contract gets dealt to the Brewers but the portion paid by the Reds stays with the Braves?

B. Now that he's cleared waivers, is it possible that teams that passed on the last round of waivers will be bidding for him, allowing the Braves to drive up the asking price to being a prospect or two?

I'm just scratching my head on how a solid player that would cost basically nothing completely clears waivers and would be given away for nothing after clearing waivers. I'm not a fan of him but I feel like at least 4 or 5 teams would take him for free.

I highly suspect that Stearns has explored the idea of adding Phillips, and the cost to do so. I expect the brewers to make exactly 1 offensive move, replacing Sogard with someone external. Might be CF, might be 2b. It's nice that we have many options and not many other teams looking to add offense. It's a buyers market for the positions we seek and that's a good thing. Aside from talent, I think Phillips would be a fantastic fit in the clubhouse.

A few questions: I'm not a huge fan of Phillips in his current state but surely would take him to finish the season for the heck of it.

A. Does the "free" thing really transfer? Is it possible that his contract gets dealt to the Brewers but the portion paid by the Reds stays with the Braves?

B. Now that he's cleared waivers, is it possible that teams that passed on the last round of waivers will be bidding for him, allowing the Braves to drive up the asking price to being a prospect or two?

I'm just scratching my head on how a solid player that would cost basically nothing completely clears waivers and would be given away for nothing after clearing waivers. I'm not a fan of him but I feel like at least 4 or 5 teams would take him for free.

That means no team thinks he's worth paying the amount remaining on his contract. There might be bidding by teams, but the end result will certainly be viewed as less value than the $ remaining on his contract.

Contending teams for the most part have been fairly set at position players. Hence why solid guys like JD Martinez, Jay Bruce, to some extent Alex Avila, etc have been traded for next to nothing.

I sure hope it happens. Anything to jump start this program. I am glad that Stearns showed restraint and didn't go all in but would like to see an upgrade at 2nd to keep out chances alive but realistically, who wants to be devoured by the Dodgers? Yikes. It would be nice to play some meaningful ball in September but something has to happen quickly. They just look like they're going through the motions.

Phillips could be had for a low minor leaguer. No reason not to kick the tires. Kinsler never really did anything for me.

I think I've finally seen enough of Villar, and sogard was always a poor option. Playing Santana as a leadoff man is a joke, but what other option does counsell have. We need a table setter to jumpstart the offense.

That means no team thinks he's worth paying the amount remaining on his contract. There might be bidding by teams, but the end result will certainly be viewed as less value than the $ remaining on his contract.

Contending teams for the most part have been fairly set at position players. Hence why solid guys like JD Martinez, Jay Bruce, to some extent Alex Avila, etc have been traded for next to nothing.

What it means is that he just wasn't a fit on any team. You can eliminate over half of the league from claiming him as they are either out of contention or re-building. I haven't look at rosters but I would assume almost all playoff contending teams have better options at 2B. 300K is chump change

Archived