Brewer Fanatic

2017-08-10: Twins (Enns) at Brewers (Davies) 7:10 PM CDT

DuWayne Steurer
Way to nitpick though; the only reason why the Brewers are as close as they are now is because the not "genius" has created a pretty good roster in year two of a rebuild. I know it's really tough to comprehend.

You may want to mention Melvin in that equation with your snide remark as he has a huge imprint on that roster. Probably just as much as Stearns at this point. These are the type of comments that just aren't called for. Heaven forbid some posters don't agree with Stearns.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way to nitpick though; the only reason why the Brewers are as close as they are now is because the not "genius" has created a pretty good roster in year two of a rebuild. I know it's really tough to comprehend.

You may want to mention Melvin in that equation with your snide remark as he has a huge imprint on that roster. Probably just as much as Stearns at this point. These are the type of comments that just aren't called for. Heaven forbid some posters don't agree with Stearns.

I wouldn't say Melvin has a huge impact on the roster. Melvin's guys like Braun and Nelson seem to be performing well. Stearns guys not so much right now but it's a 5 or 6 year rebuild so he has lots of time left.

Meanwhile, the Cardinals have just tied the Royals 3-3 in the latter half of the game after being down 3-0 AND Scooter Gennett hits his 19th homerun of the season, a grand slam, today. I'm glad we let him go for nothing so we could be make room for Villar everyday at 2nd base. Somebody who is often called a "genius" is not so. He also gave away Garrett Cooper to the Yankees who had a 4-hit game for the Yankees last night and is now hitting .364--what did we get for Cooper--oh yeah, Tyler Webb who cannot get major league hitters out and is in Triple-A.

I just saw Cooper is hitter 364 while Webb was immediately sent down after not even being able to make our pen.

Cooper was going to be gone for nothing this off season as he wasn't making the 40 man roster and would've been a rule 5 pick for sure.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Cooper was going to be gone for nothing this off season as he wasn't making the 40 man roster and would've been a rule 5 pick for sure.

Maybe we should've moved Aguilar or Thames and played Cooper?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Stearns has definitely made some questionable moves at best. Hopefully we can say that around here without people jumping down others throats.

Cooper had no business being traded for a guy that most likely won't even be on our MLB team.

Like the Thornburg for Shaw, Dubon, Pennington, and Coca trade? Shaw hasn't help the team at all this year.

You are correct, my last comment was uncalled for. I apologize. I realize not everyone agrees with Stearns and this is an in game thread and gets to be a pretty reactionary thing. I'm upset they're getting their butts handed to them too by what I think is an inferior team at home.

I actually think Melvin was a good GM and yes he has some markings still on this roster. I don't think it has to be all or nothing or one or the other with these guys. You can think they both are decent GMs or both are not good; whatever.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Stearns called a genius and I don't think those that support what he's doing think that either. Obviously he's not perfect. I'd argue more good than bad at this point. In my opinion it's just as easy to point out short comings after the fact, as it is to point out what went right after the fact. I mean, dang him for trading away Lucroy, Jeffress, and Thornburg. Time will tell if he's making the right moves, but it's been a frustrating few weeks for sure.

I loved the Thornburg trade, hate the Cooper trade. I don't think he's going to be a huge homer guy but he works hard and has learned to hit the ball the opposite way. Think this was last night...Garrett Cooper had a historic night on Wednesday, becoming the first Yankees rookie first baseman to collect four hits in a single game since Joe Collins did so back on May 21, 1950.

And Chad Moeller hit for the cycle. It happens. Anyone can have a big night. Even a big month or chunk of a season. I'll wait longer than a couple weeks to see if this was a good trade or not. Question is, what could have been done differently with Cooper? Nobody has answered that.

And Chad Moeller hit for the cycle. It happens. Anyone can have a big night. Even a big month or chunk of a season. I'll wait longer than a couple weeks to see if this was a good trade or not. Question is, what could have been done differently with Cooper? Nobody has answered that.

I did. Could have moved Jesus or Thames. It wouldn't of been unheard of to do this off-season. Maybe Cooper will stink but right now the way Thames is playing, I would take my chances on the 26 year old if this is a true rebuild.

I did. Could have moved Jesus or Thames. It wouldn't of been unheard of to do this off-season. Maybe Cooper will stink but right now the way Thames is playing, I would take my chances on the 26 year old if this is a true rebuild.

I'm not happy with thames either but when are you proposing we should have traded him? I'm off season he had no track record, in April he was God, then he's been average or crap since. Jesus is still pretty good, probably better than Cooper in long term.

I'm not happy with thames either but when are you proposing we should have traded him? I'm off season he had no track record, in April he was God, then he's been average or crap since. Jesus is still pretty good, probably better than Cooper in long term.

Well if Cooper was still here and Thames had a good final 50 games of the season, you could've traded him this offseason. I suppose you still could and stick with Aguilar if you want to but the defense just isn't very good with him. Like I said, I don't even know if I want Thames traded but he's headed over thirty, hasn't been all too productive lately and seems to get dinged up a bit. We already have that (injuries) with Braun who is the superior player in just about every way. Having two of them, might not bold well.

I can't believe I'm doing this already on such a tiny sample to debunk some silly fans putting Cooper in Cooperstown already (lol), but he's struck out a ton, has barely taken a walk, and his BABIP is .500. If his first 40 ABs suggest what he is for the future, it's a guy that is not on an MLB roster.

I can't believe I'm doing this already on such a tiny sample to debunk some silly fans putting Cooper in Cooperstown already (lol), but he's struck out a ton, has barely taken a walk, and his BABIP is .500. If his first 40 ABs suggest what he is for the future, it's a guy that is not on an MLB roster.

Boy, this is petty and demeaning towards people just discussing the fact that we may have given up a good player for a not so good one. I don't think I've seen anyone talk Cooperstown. But you sure put all these people in their place. Good job!

I dont think anyone mentioned cooperstown, but how many guys in the brewers minor league organization have a career batting average over .300...Cooper was one. Bottom line is the guy can hit.

I'd be willing to bet 70-80% of the current Brewers roster would have a .300 minors batting average if they were allowed to spend their age 25 and 26 seasons and a majority of their minors career in Colorado Springs and the PCL.

It's interesting how nobody brought up Cooper a few days ago when he was hitting .240/.269/.440.

Again, the only time in his career prior to this season where he posted an .800 OPS was 70 plate appearances in rookie ball in 2013, 41 plate appearances combined between rookie and A ball in 2014, and 36 plate appearances in AA in 2015.

He's going to be 27 in a few months, we didn't give up some top prospect for nothing. We gave up maybe a decent bat at best for maybe a decent reliever at best.

Seriously doubt that...Broxton batted .256 in minors, Santana batted .282 in minors. Cooper spent a total of 1 year in the Springs, don't see how that's a majority of his career.

31% of Cooper's at bats in the minors came in either Colorado Springs or in rookie ball (Arizona or Helena) when he was an advanced college player teeing off on 18-20 year olds. Broxton hit .287 with a .924 OPS as a 26 year old in Colorado Springs last year.

Seriously doubt that...Broxton batted .256 in minors, Santana batted .282 in minors. Cooper spent a total of 1 year in the Springs, don't see how that's a majority of his career.

31% of Cooper's at bats in the minors came in either Colorado Springs or in rookie ball (Arizona or Helena) when he was an advanced college player teeing off on 18-20 year olds. Broxton hit .287 with a .924 OPS as a 26 year old in Colorado Springs last year.

Too add to that, Broxton, Sogard, Brinson, De Jesus, Bandy, Phillips, Orf all hit well over .300 in Colorado Springs this year and I'd expect all of them to not do that in the majors.

Go and look at basically the entire Rockies roster. All of their .300 hitters are .270 hitters on the road (sometimes worse).

Archived