Brewer Fanatic

BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects - 2017 Mid-Season Edition

Thanks as always Reilly for putting in the time & effort it must take to put this all together.

As apparently the lone Lara voter let me offer my reasoning. As others have noted there were plenty of candidates for the final few spots & for me it came down to him still being young & having the highest upside of any of the other candidates for those same last few spots, even if his likelihood of reaching that upside isn't looking so great right now. When he hits 50 bombs for the Brewers in 2020 I can use it as proof of my clearly superior baseball intellect.

I think myself and everyone else on this board will gladly let you rub this in our face in 2020 if you are correct.

Bold prediction: Carlos Rodriguez will be in the top 20 by this time next season.

It would take quite a bit including probably starting stateside. Carmona, for example, was a top 30 international signing and had a fine DSL summer, but couldnt get a vote. Speaking of Carmona:

Also of note on Milwaukee’s AZL club was shortstop Jean Carmona who came to the states after hitting .300/.400/.446 in the DSL and has played just 4 AZL games. He’s twitchy, acrobatic, and has great defensive footwork at shortstop, as well as enough arm to stay there

Also Bickford and Lemons notes in the link.

I'd have to look for the tweet, but Bill Mitchell made an Orlando Arcia comp for Carmona.

Bill Mitchell‏

@billazbbphotog

Newest AZL sleeper is #Brewers 17-yo SS Jean Carmona, just up from DSL. Brief look last night, but saw sparkling defensive play. Arcia comps

12:34 PM - 19 Aug 2017

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm going to get together things in the next week or two to begin our 2017 post-season prospect poll.

This one does not usually have a ton of participation, and there often isn't a lot of movement from our August poll, but that's okay. It's still fun.

I know Josh Hader isn't at 50 IP yet, but I am going to graduate him from our list. He's been in the majors for more than 1/2 a year, and is at 47.2 IP - it's pretty clear he's no longer a rookie.

What do people think about Brandon Woodruff? He's at 43 IP. I don't think he's guaranteed a spot on the club next spring, so don't really think I want to 'graduate' him from our rookie list just yet. I'm leaning toward keeping him as a prospect for our purposes - but please make your argument if you think he should not be.

Otherwise, no one else has graduated from our Top 25, so there won't be a huge difference than the August poll.

I feel if someone is eligible for the 2018 ROY then they should be on the list. If player is not eligible for the award then they should not be part of the ranking.

Any insight from the Brewers themselves (via back channels) if Hader or Woodruff would be eligible??

With Nelson's injury I'd be shocked if Woodruff doesn't make the club. Anderson, Davies, Woodruff, Hader, Suter, Guerra, and Wilkerson are the only internal options with any major league experience right now. Not a lot to choose from.

I do agree with the ROY eligibility standard.

I feel if someone is eligible for the 2018 ROY then they should be on the list. If player is not eligible for the award then they should not be part of the ranking.

Any insight from the Brewers themselves (via back channels) if Hader or Woodruff would be eligible??

Hader has graduated simply based on service time. You need 45 days (outside of DL time or expanded rosters).

Relievers are generally the main issue - it takes them a while to reach 50 IP - but they get the 45 days pretty quickly. However, a lot of relievers aren't usually top 25 type guys, so it's not really been much of an issue for us.

I'd be surprised if the Brewers wanted to burn an option on Woodruff to start 2018. Seems like kind of a waste.

I'm ok with graduating both Hader and Woodruff from the list, as they both seem like they've established themselves as Major League players for 2018.

I'd be surprised if the Brewers wanted to burn an option on Woodruff to start 2018. Seems like kind of a waste.

I'm ok with graduating both Hader and Woodruff from the list, as they both seem like they've established themselves as Major League players for 2018.

I expect Woodruff in the 2018 rotation but I am not too concerned with his options. Even if they burned an option on him next year they'd still have one left for 2019. They wouldn't have to worry about him being out of options until spring of 2020 when he'd be 27 years old. If there is still any desire to send him to the minors by then, then pretty clearly his development did not go as hoped.

Well in the case of Hader the guidelines here would not make any sense and it would look foolish to have him on a prospect list at this point.

Hader has graduated simply based on service time. You need 45 days (outside of DL time or expanded rosters).

My understanding of the discussion is that the guidelines say Hader is out, Woodruff is in. That would be my vote.

Well in the case of Hader the guidelines here would not make any sense and it would look foolish to have him on a prospect list at this point.

My understanding of the discussion is that the guidelines say Hader is out, Woodruff is in. That would be my vote.

Yes, that is how I'm going to do things. We know which guys are eligible and which are not. I think we will just stick with that.

It might be something that we'd change in our pre-season poll next - which is usually right at the beginning of the year. If Woodruff is in the rotation, we might know he's going to be off the list in 10 days, so we could just make the decision to graduate him a week or so early. But we'll see.

Archived