Brewer Fanatic

2017-08-08: Brewers (Garza) at Twins (Mejia) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 11-4]

hawing
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When/if Stearns gets rid of Counsell at the end of the year, will he promote from within or will he go outside the organization to get new blood?

I see no possible chance that Counsell is gone after this year. He is like royalty in this organization (for whatever reason) and my thinking is he gets a loooooooong leash. He really is no different than Roenicke to be honest. I was one that wanted RRR gone long before we finally cut that chord. I have been giving Craig a chance since he was hired, but it just feels so much like RRR that I am running out of patience. Oh, and he can take Sedar with him...

Are you kidding me? RRR brought out the swing at everything, walks are bad attitude.

He didn't realize defense and matchups were valuable.

This team doesn't have 2/3 the talent of the 2011 team and they are still in the hunt.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

When/if Stearns gets rid of Counsell at the end of the year, will he promote from within or will he go outside the organization to get new blood?

I see no possible chance that Counsell is gone after this year. He is like royalty in this organization (for whatever reason) and my thinking is he gets a loooooooong leash. He really is no different than Roenicke to be honest. I was one that wanted RRR gone long before we finally cut that chord. I have been giving Craig a chance since he was hired, but it just feels so much like RRR that I am running out of patience. Oh, and he can take Sedar with him...

When was the last Brewers manager that a bunch of fans didn't want fired? I can't think of one since coming of Brewers forums.

Then again plenty of fans of most teams want to fire their manager unless their team is far in first place or it's a first year manager early in that first season. I think it was last year or the year before and i was checking out a Cardinals forum during a series against them, and they literally had a pretty long thread questioning if Matheney was not just a bad manager, but if he was the worst manager in the history of baseball.

Counsell is locked up until 2020. Got a 3 year deal in offseason. Not sure how much it was for.

I for one like Counsell a lot and think he is a pretty decent manager. That being said I don't think that contract size necessarily has a ton to do with the decision of an organization to let a manager go. They make peanuts compared to the players.

I'll judge Counsell when he actually has legitimate pro baseball players to use.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yeah, I think the recent swoon says as much about the roster as Craig. I mean, the bullpen options beyond Swarzak and Knebel and Hader aren't good, and that last guy is a rookie. A couple of the arms are serviceable, but they're going to have bad outings. Offensively, there are just too many dead spots right now.

I do think they'll be alright. I'm still optimistic about 85 wins. Doubt it will be enough to win the Central, but you never know. I think getting this talent to that level is a pretty good managerial job in the end. I'd prefer better in-game decisions too, esp. w/r/t the bullpen handling at times, but I do think the day-to-day of dealing with players is important in a way we can't quantify with statistics, at least not yet. Seems like CC does okay there.

Yeah, I think the recent swoon says as much about the roster as Craig. I mean, the bullpen options beyond Swarzak and Knebel and Hader aren't good, and that last guy is a rookie. A couple of the arms are serviceable, but they're going to have bad outings. Offensively, there are just too many dead spots right now.

I do think they'll be alright. I'm still optimistic about 85 wins. Doubt it will be enough to win the Central, but you never know. I think getting this talent to that level is a pretty good managerial job in the end. I'd prefer better in-game decisions too, esp. w/r/t the bullpen handling at times, but I do think the day-to-day of dealing with players is important in a way we can't quantify with statistics, at least not yet. Seems like CC does okay there.

Given that they're on pace for 83 wins and have probably played a little over their heads, and have some really tough series matchups remaining, I'd say a .500 season sounds about right. They're not a playoff team, barring an incredible stroke of luck of the Cubs, Pirates and Cardinals all finishing 80-82.

I said when they were still in 1st that I thought it is pretty equally likely that they finish 4th as 1st. Probably even more so now.

I can't fathom how this .470ish talent team has fooled everybody for 4 months.

We were actually scoring runs for 4 months. Its damn difficult to win games when practically everyone is striking out left and right.

I never understood why Counsell was hired in the first place. A lot of fans cheered but I just scratched my head. If Stearns decides to go in another direction I hope they go outside the organization.

All the Garza haters have been frothing at the mouth for three months waiting to jump on him and say how much he sucks.

Last night not withstanding Garza has been pretty good this year. I doubt he'll be back in 2018 however.

Don't know if you guys knew this but Paul Molitor used to play for the Brewers.

How long is this organization going to live in the past? The 80s were fun but those days are becoming ancient history. There is a large segment of our fan base that weren't even born back then. :tongue

Archived