Brewer Fanatic

2017-08-08: Brewers (Garza) at Twins (Mejia) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 11-4]

hawing
2 strikes, 2 outs. Not the worst thing to just let him take the base.

Yeah, and if he pokes an 0-2 blooper into right field, we're down 2-0 and with the way the offense is going, that's a lot.

A rundown is almost a sure out. You throw over every time. Dozier probably breaks for home and then the infielder throws there and you deal with the rundown there. I'm glad he got out of it, but absolutely inexcusable to just eat it and make no throw.

By the time Garza stepped off it would have been a close play at 2b. Just not worth the chance of him throwing it away and a run scores anyway.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, and if he pokes an 0-2 blooper into right field, we're down 2-0 and with the way the offense is going, that's a lot.

A rundown is almost a sure out. You throw over every time. Dozier probably breaks for home and then the infielder throws there and you deal with the rundown there. I'm glad he got out of it, but absolutely inexcusable to just eat it and make no throw.

No it's smart. He was just as likely to throw into C.F., at least he's self-aware. Weird deal, but he's not the first to deal with the yips.

By the time Garza stepped off it would have been a close play at 2b. Just not worth the chance of him throwing it away and a run scores anyway.

Agree to disagree I guess. Looked to me like he was dead to rights, I'm guessing he backtracks and stays in the rundown. Even if there's a play at 2nd that's not enough to advance Dozier home unless he throws it into CF. I love how Garza has pitched this year but it's inexplicable to me that a pitcher can't even throw over to a base out of fear of an error.

The point of that was for Mauer to get into a run down for long enough to let the run score. With the hitter down 1-2 the Twins were willing to trade an out for a run. If anyone is smart enough to execute that properly it is Mauer (unlike Arcia was it for us that ended a game because he didnt stay in the rundown long enough?). Eating it is not the worst thing ever.

No it's smart. He was just as likely to throw into C.F., at least he's self-aware. Weird deal, but he's not the first to deal with the yips.

I know the guy is a defensive disaster, but there is no way he is just as likely to throw a ball into CF as he is to successfully throw to the infielder on a 60 foot throw.

The point of that was for Mauer to get into a run down for long enough to let the run score. With the hitter down 1-2 the Twins were willing to trade an out for a run. If anyone is smart enough to execute that properly it is Mauer (unlike Arcia was it for us that ended a game because he didnt stay in the rundown long enough?). Eating it is not the worst thing ever.

It's not really up to Mauer, it's up to Dozier. When you see him break, throw home. It's an extremely fundamental defensive play that a professional baseball team should be able to execute.

Like I said, agree to disagree. I'll put it this way, if you have to concede 2nd and 3rd every time you have 1st and 3rd with a certain pitcher on the mound, that's a problem.

There was not going to be a play at second, if Garza throws the ball Mauer goes back and Dozier tries for hom

Count me among the throw to second camp. I think if that's any pitcher other than Garza (maybe John Lester), they throw to second.

Mauer and Dozier aren't exactly blazers, so that should be afford the room to at least try to get the out. All that said, since it is Matt Garza, eating is probably the best call.

Perez as a bunch option, great. Perez penciled in your lineup on a daily basis sucks.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived