Brewer Fanatic

Jed Lowrie

Thought I'd add him to the list of potential 2B trade candidates. He's having a pretty solid year with OPS vs. RHP above .800 and carries a not too outrageous $6 million option for 2018. Stearns likes doing business with Oakland too. Villar and a low level lottery guy or an aging "prospect" like Jungmann or Wilkerson?

Not really interested in Lowrie. Having a good year but over the previous three seasons he was a .248/.317/.354/.671 hitter with a below average second base glove. Maybe for a couple fringe prospects like Aaron Wilkerson and Kyle Wren. I wouldn't do a straight up Lowrie for Villar swap.

Not really interested in Lowrie. Having a good year but over the previous three seasons he was a .248/.317/.354/.671 hitter with a below average second base glove. Maybe for a couple fringe prospects like Aaron Wilkerson and Kyle Wren. I wouldn't do a straight up Lowrie for Villar swap.

Villar's value is nearly nil now. Can't see him getting arbitration offer from anyone after this trainwreck of a season. I just threw him in there rather than releasing him when Lowrie or another 2B comes aboard. Lowrie is a fine stopgap paired with Perez until Dubon or Hiura takes over full time a year or so from now.

Villar's value is nearly nil now. Can't see him getting arbitration offer from anyone after this trainwreck of a season. I just threw him in there rather than releasing him when Lowrie or another 2B comes aboard. Lowrie is a fine stopgap paired with Perez until Dubon or Hiura takes over full time a year or so from now.

For what it's worth we have no idea what Villar's value is. You may be right. You may also find that gm's like a cost controlled guy who put up great numbers last season enough to put more value on him than you do.

Yea, does Villar have a huge value? No. But we don't know that he has NO value. Here is a player who put up really good numbers for an entire season, just last year. OBP, took walks, had some power, stole a ton of bases. So that talent is there, somewhere. It's why the Brewers gave him plenty of time to "get right" this season, and rightfully so.

Maybe he figures it out again, maybe not, but there could be one or more teams that would be interested in finding out.

Oakland had little interest in him at the deadline and want to make playing time for Barretto. Saving a few bucks and getting a low level prospect while clearing time for their young player should be appealing enough to get a deal done, assuming he clears waivers or the Brewers claim him. His 350 OBP would be a big help to the lineup and improve the 2B position

No point. Just play Villar and promote Dubon to play out the string until Hiura is ready which could be 2019 easily if not sooner.

Yep just throw in the towel a game and a half back. Why bother playing at all? Forfeit this rest of the season and 2018.

Villar absolutely has value. I highly doubt that he isn't offered arbitration. Sure he's lost at the plate right now and his mechanics are a mess, but talent like that should be given a chance to rebound as the risk is worth the potential reward. He was hitting in the 280s the last 2 years, he would get claimed on waivers in a heartbeat if we let him walk.

I would prefer not to pick up someone beyond a rental, unless Stearns is confident he would be able to get value for that person in the off season if he chooses. Villar will get the chance to win the 2b job next year, and Dubon/Perez will be in the mix there as well. We only get so many spots on the 25 man...

Archived