Brewer Fanatic

2017-08-07: Brewers (Suter) at Twins (Santana) 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-4]

hawing
Only having 1 pitch is really annoying

He has a great slider, he struck out Harper on it. Where was it?

He can't throw it with any consistency so he just abandons it....like he has in his last few outings. Then he compounds the problem by not having good command of the 1 pitch he feels comfortable throwing.

And then tosses up a scoreless inning in the process.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I never claim to ever be able to do as good of a job as any MLB manager or coach, because, hey, that's crazy.

That said, if we had to, I say with much confidence that any shlub MLB fan sitting in his recliner in his underwear with a beer in one hand and a bag of chips on his lap could call roughly as accurate of a strike zone as these morons do.

Provided of course he was calling a game he was impartial to.

I think calling balls and Strikes from behind the pitcher through an HDTV screen is a lot easier than calling them from behind the catcher. That being said I'm not saying they shouldn't get the calls right because they've been doing it a long time and they have a lot more training on what to look for. I for one am totally okay with the day they go to robots.

I never claim to ever be able to do as good of a job as any MLB manager or coach, because, hey, that's crazy.

That said, if we had to, I say with much confidence that any shlub MLB fan sitting in his recliner in his underwear with a beer in one hand and a bag of chips on his lap could call roughly as accurate of a strike zone as these morons do.

I think calling balls and Strikes from behind the pitcher through an HDTV screen is a lot easier than calling them from behind the catcher. That being said I'm not saying they shouldn't get the calls right because they've been doing it a long time and they have a lot more training on what to look for. I for one am totally okay with the day they go to robots.

I think it is too. Which is why having a guy standing behind the catcher calling it is a horrible way to do it. It was a horrible way to do it even before the days of HDTV.

I would love to stand behind the catcher and see first hand what that looks like in person. I think it would be an eye opening experience.

You do know that he can't be successful in the big leagues for any length of time throwing 1 pitch and walking 17 guys in 22 innings right?

The way he is pitching is not sustainable ......but if you want to pretend that everything is great because he has gotten away with it so far.......go ahead.

Ps. Just hit the lead off hitter

I would love to stand behind the catcher and see first hand what that looks like in person. I think it would be an eye opening experience.

It's actually a pretty terrible view of the entire game.

Stop looking in my window!

Ha good one :laughing

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I watched a video a few years ago of a guy going to umpiring school and I don't remember who it was. He was standing behind the catcher and calling balls and Strikes and one thing I remember is he had to call the pitch right away and he kept hesitating. The instructor told him he had to call what he thought it was right away whether he was right or wrong was unimportant he had to make a call right away and be confident in his call. And they were constantly evaluating his calls with something like pitch tracks or pitchfx. And he said it was way more difficult to see from behind the catcher than what you would expect it to be and he had a new perspective. Again I'm not excusing poor umpiring....

True, but a pitcher can't keep digging these holes and expect to continually get out of them. This was not a good outing in any way for Hader.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I have seen enough of Andrew Susac in one night than I ever want to see in a Brewer uniform again. He is an absolutely terrible framer. This umpire sucks, but Susac makes everything look worse.

I can live with his defense though, the way he knocks the snot out of the ball. The bat plays.

It's actually a pretty terrible view of the entire game.

I wouldn't want to see a game, just a handful of pitches from a hard throwing MLB pitcher, or a really good slider just to see how hard it is to tell where it crosses the plate

Lots of complaining about the umps but pretty sure that their "bad" calls go for and against both teams and usually has absolutely nothing to do with why we end up losing games.

I've posted the link a few times...but the Brewers tend to get a lot of bad calls from the home plate umpire.

Archived