Brewer Fanatic

Don Baylor dead at age 68

reillymcshane

Don Baylor ..... got hit by a ton of pitches, hit the ball hard enough that Bob Uecker would say, "If anyone's ever going to actually collapse a baseball, it's this guy", and, for as big and strong as he was, he absolutely could not throw, hence the DH.

I believe that Baylor also has the unique distinction of appearing on three AL Champion teams in three consecutive years and with each year it being a different team. Must have been Boston in '86, Minnesota in '87, and Oakland in '88.

He was hit 267 times in his career. Good for 4th all time! Surprisingly, Biggio beat him with 285 career clunks. Baylor also has the 8th highest in a season with 35. This was in the time before the armor that players use now.

I remember watching him. He would just stand there and take it. Never moved. Tough guy.

Baseball Reference lists him at 6-1, 190. I just remember him being a huge guy. That size is nothing compared to today's players. Just a different time...

I was 11 years old, sitting in the lower grandstands on the first base side for Game 5 of the ALCS.

The Brewers had taken the lead in the 7th and Don Baylor comes up in the 8th. Among many other Angels, he was a problem at the plate. He gets a hold of one and I'll never forget watching the parabola of his sky-high shot to left-center, thinking to myself, "Crap, this game is about to be tied again after that nice comeback."

Of course, it didn't go out and Marshall Edwards made a leaping catch at the wall to save extra bases.

And while my Wauwatosa friends and I used to dive into bushes for a few years afterwards to imitate it (we called wall-scrapping catches "a Marshall Edwards", just as we called blocked shots in the driveway "a Harvey Catchings", or later, "an Alton Lister), I never shook the feeling that the Brewers dodged a giant-Don Baylor-sized bullet.

RIP to a really good hitter, and by almost all accounts, a very good man.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Don Baylor ..... got hit by a ton of pitches, hit the ball hard enough that Bob Uecker would say, "If anyone's ever going to actually collapse a baseball, it's this guy", and, for as big and strong as he was, he absolutely could not throw, hence the DH.

He stole 52 bases when he was 27. I still find that hard to believe.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Commenting on a bunch of posts here....

Wasn't a runner on 1st when Edwards made that catch?

No way was Baylor under 200 lbs at end of career...

Baylor would do a Rickie Weeks and even dip into inside pitches to get hit.

Also, Baylor was at his all-time best as the number 5 hitter(?) on the Andgels/Red Sox(?) in the original RBI Baseball.

Also, Baylor was at his all-time best as the number 5 hitter(?) on the Andgels/Red Sox(?) in the original RBI Baseball.

Regarding the RBI baseball I am 99% sure that was with Boston. Great reference point.

Regarding the RBI baseball I am 99% sure that was with Boston. Great reference point.

Baylor and Reggie Jackson were inexplicably fast in that game too.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Bases were empty with one out when Baylor hit. Doug DeCinces hit a single after Edwards' catch.

Archived