Brewer Fanatic

Where does Pina finish in ROY voting?

StearnsFTW

No idea why I thought of this just now, but he's been really, really good.

It's obvious he won't win, but he could finish top 5 I'd think. Really fantastic season for a guy that's going to catch 80% of our games frome here on out. Significantly better than Lucroy this year, which is fun.

Bellinger is running away with it. The Rockies pitchers, Josh Bell, Pina, the Padres OFs all in the mix. Nick Williams probably up there. The problem is a lot of these guys have partial years now but if they play full time the rest of the season they will catch Pina since he is a C.

Pina has a pretty good chance to be a 4 WAR player. That's pretty damn good.

Obviously Bellinger wins, but I think Pina has a good case for a top 3 or 4 finisher, which given his expectations is awesome. I personally believe he deserves a lot of the credit for the pitching staff exceeding their expectations.

What is the not even getting a vote option? He's 30 years old and actually first played in the majors 6 years ago. Throw in the fact that he plays in Milwaukee and I doubt the voters know he exists or is even a rookie.

Agreed.. 0 votes. Next candidate..

He can be our rookie of the year. Good enough.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Zero votes. Is he having a good year? Absolutely. Is there anything about his season that stands out? No.

He's 9th among NL rookies in OPS, and 3rd in AVG and OBP, and his counting stats aren't that impressive since he doesn't play everyday. Just among hitters I would vote for Bellinger, Renfroe, Josh Bell, DeJong, Happ, and maybe Margot and Brian Goodwin over Pina. There's not much for rookie pitchers this year but there are probably a couple better than Pina. I'm not sure how many guys are on a ballot for rookie of the year but Bellinger, Renfroe, Bell, and Happ will almost certainly be the top 4 on 99% of ballots.

The voters? I would think they picked out the Voters by one per each team within the league that they cover so that they can make it equil as much as possable.

So with that said I would think the Brewers guy might vote for him but I have tuff time believing any other one would vote for him.

Zero votes. Is he having a good year? Absolutely. Is there anything about his season that stands out? No.

He's 9th among NL rookies in OPS, and 3rd in AVG and OBP, and his counting stats aren't that impressive since he doesn't play everyday. Just among hitters I would vote for Bellinger, Renfroe, Josh Bell, DeJong, Happ, and maybe Margot and Brian Goodwin over Pina. There's not much for rookie pitchers this year but there are probably a couple better than Pina. I'm not sure how many guys are on a ballot for rookie of the year but Bellinger, Renfroe, Bell, and Happ will almost certainly be the top 4 on 99% of ballots.

If Happ gets more votes, that'd be sad. And he's definitely better than Renfroe. Bell and DeJong are debatable. I completely understand your point about him being under-the-radar due to unfamiliartiy but I think the case can be made that he's had the 2nd best season of any rookie. There's not question he's had a top 5 season.

Anyway, I just think it'll be an interesting case.

There's not much for rookie pitchers this year but there are probably a couple better than Pina.

It's really hard to say whether or not there are any rookie pitchers better than Pina, as we haven't seen him pitch yet.

• 2 weeks later...
I continue to be surprised by how often opposing teams still try to run on him. he's proven to be very good on this all year, combined with all the pickoffs, so I don't know whey teams continue to push it vs him. I guess I don't know the stats and how he ranks, but sure seems solid to me and rarely has a bad throw.

I continue to be surprised by how often opposing teams still try to run on him. he's proven to be very good on this all year, combined with all the pickoffs, so I don't know whey teams continue to push it vs him. I guess I don't know the stats and how he ranks, but sure seems solid to me and rarely has a bad throw.

Pina is throwing out about 35% of base stealers. That's a shade above average. The elite guys this year throw out close to half, the crappy guys throw out 1 in 4. He also only has 4 errors, which tells you he isn't throwing the ball away very often...especially if you factor in all his pick off attempts.

I didn't expect much from Pina coming into the season, but he has pleasantly surprised. There really isn't a "Catcher of the Future" anywhere close to Major-League ready as of right now, so the job is probably Pina's to lose for the next few seasons. I won't say there hasn't been a downgrade from Lucroy, but it hasn't been nearly as sizable as what was feared. In fact, it could be argued that Pina has come very close to matching Luc's production from the last few years. Bandy and Susac have disappointed, though. I was hoping one of those two would come through as a decent #2. They aren't ancient, though so maybe one still will.

Pina is throwing out about 35% of base stealers. That's a shade above average. The elite guys this year throw out close to half, the crappy guys throw out 1 in 4. He also only has 4 errors, which tells you he isn't throwing the ball away very often...especially if you factor in all his pick off attempts.

I actually just got around to looking it up and was about to post the link, was surprised how easy it was to find. 10th in the league. Leader is at 47% and only 4 guys above 38%. Note our old boy Maldy is 4th at 41%. Pina also has 6 pickoffs, one other has 5 and no one else has more than 3. And obvious we all know there's been what seems like well above a normal amount of pickoff attempts with few errors, and many close to getting outs.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/stats?season=2017&category=FIELDING+II&group=1&time=0

I wonder how his ability to pickoff baserunners effect how many attempts at stealing. Seems logical that the worry of being picked off would keep runners closer to the base thus fewer attempts. It has to effect the ability to take extra bases to some extent as well. I think it is probably pretty small but even a few less stolen bases or runners getting that extra base a few times has to add up to something tangible.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 1 month later...
I doubt pick off attempts effect a runners lead. Getting picked off by a catcher usually means you are being lazy.

It doesn't change the primary lead (before the pitch) but does make a runner think twice about trying to get a large secondary lead. So stealing second won't change much but it may prevent runners from having enough of a start to try to go from first to third on a hit.

• 1 month later...

Archived