Brewer Fanatic

BA's draft chat...

Simpson associated Loewen's name with the Brewers throughout the chat, and never paired the Brewers with anyone else. If the O's don't sign him, which I just don't see happening, the only reason I can possibly see the Brewers going with someone else is that they may be scared off by Loewen's price tag. I have a very good feeling that he will be their draft pick, and we'll know in a week and a half.

Might as well keep an existing thread moving...

Q: Connor from Hartford, CT asks: With Young seemingly becoming the consensus #1 pick, could Richie Weeks fall to the Tigers at #3 and would the Brewers be crazy to pass him up at #2?

A: Jim Callis: Crazy to pass on him at No. 2? No. He has a lot of upside, but he also hasn't faced much quality competition, he's not very big and his defensive position is a little uncertain. The Brewers could opt for a college pitcher like Sleeth or Stauffer. I do think they'll take Weeks if Young goes No. 1.

Q: Butchie from Motown asks: Another media outlet is reporting that Milwaukee will be picking Kyle Sleeth with the second pick and that Rickie Weeks will be picked by the Tigers, is this what you are hearing?

A: Jim Callis: We've heard Weeks, Sleeth and Stauffer as the three names. Brewers scouting director Jack Zduriencik is famous for not tipping his hand, so we'll probably have to wait until Tuesday to know for sure.

people complain about Weeks playing in the SWAC. My argument would be hitting nearly .500 in the SWAC is more impressive than hitting nearly .500 in most HS conferences, if not all.

Yes the SWAC is not a great baseball league, but extrapolating that to a high school league is foolish.

HE's in college for gosh sakes, he's playing against college level ball players! He's not in high school and while his league isn't the big 12 it is still D1.

BA America is hosting a mock draft on MLB radio, as the different beat writers are taking their turn to pick for their respective teams. The D-Rays guy ended up taking Rickie Weeks, even though he said the real D-Rays may end up taking Delmon Young. This prompted Drew Olson to take Young, although he stated that the Brewers are poised to take Weeks. Olson also noted that there are some rumblings in the organization that the Brewers would take Weeks as a CF despite the presence of David Krynzel & the overall organizational need for a 2B.

Interesting indeed. He did seem to make it pretty clear that the Brewers would take one of either Young or Weeks, as most of us have guessed since Loewen signed.

A lot of pitchers that Weeks faces are brutal. He plays in a league with HBCUs in the South. There just aren't many young black kids playing baseball down there. All of the athletes in the Arkansas/Alabama areas are playing basketball and football. The ones that can actually play baseball end up on his team at Southern (its a good program)!

It's very bad baseball, don't kid yourself. It can give you nightmeares. Of the 9 teams that Southern is playing in the SWAC, 7 of them have one of the 25 or so worst RPIs in the NCAA this year.

You see a kid like Jeremy Cleveland at North Carolina batting .430 in the ACC. Think of what he'd be batting in the Southwestern Athletic Conference!!! .600?

Weeks is going to be selected early next week because of his tremendous athleticism, not his batting average. Noone would be talking about how great his batting average is if he played the season in the SEC. I don't mean to sound like he can't hit, by the way.

I heard Weeks hit a home run today in the regionals (real competition).

I find the CF thing interesting, but it's not like you can't put 2 CFers out there in LF and CF as long as one of them hits like a LF. So I wouldn't sweat that one, nothing wrong with covering a lot of ground in the OF.

Did you catch who they had the Tribe taking at w/ their 1st round pick, Jim Ingraham Tribe beat writer isnt always the most reliable but we're hearing from BA the 3 main guys the Indians are looking at being Allison, Danks and Lubanski - Was the choice from 1 of those 3 ?

I have a hard time believing they would put Weeks in center, since they were going to try Page at second base last year if he signed. I agree with a previous poster that if he is the pick, you try him at 2b and then move him if it doesn't work. That is why it is important to draft athletes.

Archived