Brewer Fanatic

Josh Hader: Starter, closer, or bullpen ace?

adambr2
The fact they already announced him as a bullpen arm, when they have no reason to announce that early, tells me there is zero chance he is in the rotation come opening day. I’m guessing he will strictly be a relief pitcher in spring training because of that news already being dropped...which means even if an injury happens he won’t have the innings built up to do it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact they already announced him as a bullpen arm, when they have no reason to announce that early, tells me there is zero chance he is in the rotation come opening day. I’m guessing he will strictly be a relief pitcher in spring training because of that news already being dropped...which means even if an injury happens he won’t have the innings built up to do it.

As much as I dislike it, this is absolutely accurate. Everything they've done all offseason, every rumor, points to us using Hader in the bullpen. The announcement was merely confirming what was already obvious. Even if we have 2 significant SP injuries in camp, Hader won't get a spot. Guerra/Gallardo/Suter/Wilkerson/etc would be in line at that point. Heck the way FA has gone we may try to sign a back end guy to a 1 year deal...there will probably be plenty left.

The line between starter and reliever is going to become only more increasingly blurred over the next few years so as much as I want them to at least give him a shot to start, I really don't think it will make a difference 3 or 4 years from now. He'll probably eventually be throwing 125-150 innings a season while pitching at various points of games.

The line between starter and reliever is going to become only more increasingly blurred over the next few years so as much as I want them to at least give him a shot to start, I really don't think it will make a difference 3 or 4 years from now. He'll probably eventually be throwing 125-150 innings a season while pitching at various points of games.

That’s exactly what I hope they do. Build up his innings by give no him 2-3 IP at a time. I hat that because he doesn’t get called a “starter” he will have to throw so few innings.

This would help with batters seeing him too many times also

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One thing with Hader that I would be curious is the simple question of what does he want to do?

Every player is different, but sometimes a player might slot into a role and just say, "Hey, this is me." I don't know what Hader wants or doesn't want - but maybe his personality and make up just suits him to being a reliever - and he's said that the Brewers.

Again, I don't know the answer to the question. Or if it's been considered. I'm just wondering if it's something that has come up and has helped the team and Hader make a decision as to his role.

I like the idea of starting Hader until Nelson is back then moving him to the bullpen. It keeps his innings up, gives him some time to adjust to MLB and keeps him in a valuable role this year, then plan on giving him a shot to land a full time SP position in 2019.

Eventually he should probably be given the chance to start but not this year. This team has playoff hopes and with respect to Hader we can’t afford to put someone in the rotation when we have no idea if he can regularly go more than 5 or 6 innings. He had short starts in the minors and major leaguers are better hitters with access to better scouting reports and videos to study.

To me the ideal time for him to start is when we aren’t gunning for the playoffs. If we’re out of it in September then I’m all for getting him 5-6 starts to see what he can do. But for now he’s too big an unknown and too valuable a bullpen piece to be put in the rotation.

Eventually he should probably be given the chance to start but not this year. This team has playoff hopes and with respect to Hader we can’t afford to put someone in the rotation when we have no idea if he can regularly go more than 5 or 6 innings. He had short starts in the minors and major leaguers are better hitters with access to better scouting reports and videos to study.

To me the ideal time for him to start is when we aren’t gunning for the playoffs. If we’re out of it in September then I’m all for getting him 5-6 starts to see what he can do. But for now he’s too big an unknown and too valuable a bullpen piece to be put in the rotation.

That's the problem. The moves the Brewers are making means they fully intend to be "gunning for the playoffs" for at least the next couple of years.

We are going to have the same arguments next year as we have this year as to why Hader should remain in the pen. The way the Brewers have handled Hader do not make me believe that he will someday be a starter for them.

If that's because they don't believe he can be a starter, that makes sense, but it seems like it's because the desire to win now bears more weight than the desire to get the most out of a potential star.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

e are going to have the same arguments next year as we have this year as to why Hader should remain in the pen

Maybe maybe not. It depends on how we do this season. Like I said if we’re out of it come September it wouldn’t be out of question to give him a few starts to see how he does. Or if we need another starter due to injury or ineffectiveness he could be an option. Or perhaps they just don’t view him as a starter and we already are getting the most value out of him. He’s certainly not a sure thing to succeed as a starter.

I think they see that he can have more impact as a dominating reliever then as a starter who can't go past 4 or 5 innings because of pitch counts.

He has said recently that he likes high leverage situations......I think he is fine being in the pen as long as he is in the majors.

People are over thinking this.

Archived